No announcement yet.

Where next to look.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did the company have a name? or just went by his name?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      Was he ever known as Fred!

Can't see this on GRO

Frederick G Carroll
      1918 Mar q 1918
      Fulham reg district
      1a 380
      Mother's maiden name Carroll

I did note that from 1950 Elizabeth added M to her name on the Burns Road electoral roll

Vera
      wonder why not on GRO? Tried all sorts and doesn't seem to be there.

Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        did the company have a name? or just went by his name?
        That's just reminded me, I have some vehicle registrations that were for his business. I will look at them tomorrow as they may have a company name on.

Comment

will search papers for that - you never know, even if it is an advert - nice to see something of a connection.

Different era - but here is an example of some things I found for my gr gr grandfather http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co...17-blacksmith/
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

That' brilliant. I love looking at old photos and reading about people lives.

Off to look at them vehicle registrations.

Comment

Well I've found 3 addresses now for Gerald Carroll these are on the vehicle registrations and a bank book.

Is there anyway to check old records on who owned a property. I've also come across solicitor letters dated back to 1957 for a purchase of a house. Plus a letter to my husbands nan from the same solicitors in 1963 after Gerald deaths for them to defend her against the claim for possession.

Comment

Check out HM Land Registry. The Gov.UK site.

Vera

Comment

that was worth a rummage. You can try also searching Ancestry and FMP (in keywords - not that reliable - but always worth a try) and newspapers for the addresses, you might find phone book entry/reg of elector or anything really. Another family member might suddenly pop up with them that you never knew existed.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

There is also the military records if you don't already have them. Charges apply and they can take a long time.

I note that the Croydon memorial has Gerald as belonging to RAMC which I believe to be an error.. Have you seen that Memorial. Centre of Croydon next to Town Hall.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

Page 8

Its amazing what comes out of a rummage. It's often said on here you only need one snippet as Carolyn will testify to one of her newspaper finds.

Vera

Comment

Will look at them links now. Had a day off from it all as feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall. I've a feeling its going to be a very long search to find Gerald.

My husband does have a copy of the dispatches his nan did give them to him, I've never seen them though.

Comment

his beginning certainly sounds elusive. Maybe the next census will provide some answers, now less than a year away hopefully.

Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

I think I'm going to have to leave him for a while. I've tried the addresses and nothing and there is nothing more dishearten/annoying/frustrating than hitting dead ends continually.

Comment

I think you need to get the marriage certificate of elizabeth. It will give you her father's name, then you can look in america and ireland for a marriage of her to gerald.

might increase your chances of finding more information.
                            ​​​​​

Comment

also it may be worth getting his second marriage cert - see if he puts same fathers name, and also Elizabeths death cert.

She didn't seem to have a will it was just admin, for £1.50 that might be worth getting it could have another address/person on there.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Do I order the will from the GRO?

Will get them all ordered. Thanks

Comment

Nope. Probate Service. Official government site. Don’t go with 3rd party ones.

Comment

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/ for wills, you need to select the right year band in tab at top. they are £1.50.

If they say administration then there is no will (sorry I don't know technical terms - someone will correct me hopefully), just a form on who is sorting out the probate. But if you have nothing it may give you something.

I can't remember if there was one now.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

An administration means there was no valid will found at the time, so obtaining the admin will just usually be the person granted probate. Can be next of kin or a lawyer for example.

though that doesn't mean a will won't be found later, i have an example of that. The probate process had to happen all over again.

Comment

Something for the back burner for when you get your certs thru. I have been looking at Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, Wales where John Kinsella lived prior to appearing in Willesden. He was b Wexford. His Will is in favour of his dau Catherine b Herefordwest reg.

I can see also an Elizabeth A Carroll marrying and living Pembrokeshire to a chap called Lewis T Williams. He dies 1934. Not seeing Elizabeth A in the area after 1935.
                                        EDIT Elizabeth Carroll Williams dies 1937. Buried with William in Pembrokeshire

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                          Something for the back burner for when you get your certs thru. I have been looking at Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, Wales where John Kinsella lived prior to appearing in Willesden. He was b Wexford. His Will is in favour of his dau Catherine b Herefordwest reg. I can see also an Elizabeth A Carroll marrying and living Pembrokeshire to a chap called Lewis T Williams. He dies 1934. Not seeing Elizabeth A in the area after 1935.

Vera
                                          ooh good work, did he have a son John too? that would tie up to reg of elector? maybe for £1.50 worth getting his will?
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X