Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where next to look.

Hi

I've been trying without success to find my husbands grandfather. I've found both records of his marriage and his death but no record of his birth. I was told possibly born in Boston USA and he and his mother came to England after his father died. I've looked through immigration records with no success. I've even just put in his first name and date of birth and nothing.

If anyone has any idea what I can do next I would be really grateful.

Welcome to the forum.
    Does his coming to England fall in between the current census years? Or 1939 register?

Comment

He was born in 1918 and the only record of him living anywhere is on the 1939 census.

Comment

If they were american, they should be on the 1920 or 1930 census, prior to the 1939 register.

unless they emmigrated prior to 1920?

can you post details of the family? What does it say for father's name and occupation on the marriage record? What was his mother's name? What do you know of the parents' records?

Comment

which sites are you using to look?

Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If you'd like us to search directly for them, you may post the name(s) of deceased individuals. If you'd like more privacy (even tho they are deceased) you can ask a mod to move this thread to "sensitive research" - still open for members to read, still no posting of living person's info, but not available to web searching.

Comment

FamilySearch (FS) has a lot of Massachusetts (MA) records, but I don't think they cover the births that you need. You might find a marriage if they married there. Ancestry has a lot of indexed MA records - About Massachusetts, U.S., Birth Index, 1860-1970 - and in my experience, MA records, especially in the Boston area, are fairly reliable for reporting by the time your ancestor was born.

Comment

Was his father (or mother) a UK citizen? He would probably not need to naturalize if his father was a UK citizen. If that is the case, probably the best chance of catching an "immigration" record would be a passenger list from when they moved back to the UK. I don't think all passenger lists survive &/or are online.

Comment

Hi Many thanks for the replies.

Gerald Carroll 8 Jan 1918
                  In 1939 he was married to a Elsie Rogers and living at 166 Canterbury Road Croydon. He was later married to a Mildred Buckmaster in 1946. I've looked on Ancestry, Find my past, freebmd and family search and come up with nothing for a Gerald Carroll with his date of birth.
                  I've an address of 39 Burns Road Harlesden for a Mrs Kinsella that was his mum this address was from 1965 and I have records of a Elizabeth Kinsella at this address, so this by rights should be his mum.

His marriage records under father Gerald Carroll (deceased).

My husband was always told his grandparents were Irish/American.

Comment

Do you know Gerald's parents' names? Their places of births? DOBs?

Comment

Nothing at all. Only that his mum was a Kinsella as she was referred as nan kinsella when being spoken about.

Comment

There is a John Kinsella b 1881 and Elizabeth Kinsella b 1898 in the 1939 living Talbot Road, Willesden.

Also a marriage 1937 Willesden

John Kinsella
                        Elizabeth Carroll

Wonder if mc would be useful to confirm Elizabeth's status ie Widow.

Vera

Comment

Do You have Ancestry access? There are 6 public trees on Ancestry which have Gerald . 2 have him being born in Boston, 2 in Croydon and 2 have no place of birth mentioned. 1 gives his father as another Gerald Carroll, and also says his mother married John Kinsella in Willesden in Jun Q 1937. If you get this marriage certificate it will give you his mother's maiden name. It also looks as though Elizabeth died in 1966 at age 69, giving her a dob of ca 1897.

Snap Vera!

Also, if you get Gerald's marriage cert, this will give his father's name (hopefully)
                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

As OzGirl says - if you get the marriage certs, it will have a space for father's name and occupation. It will also give Gerald's residence at the time of the marriage. Kind of him to marry twice ;) The marriage certs are only as accurate as the information that he gave at the time of the marriage - usually accurate, but some times people didn't know or were obfuscating their origins.

You will also get witnesses to the marriages, which at times are close family members, and again can be useful.

When I looked on FamilySearch's 1920 census for Gerald Carroll, age two - there were two living in the Boston area that were possible candidates. One seemed unlikely (both parents born in MA).

Unfortunately, what you don't know with more clues - was he really from Boston, or was he born somewhere near Boston, and that's how the family explained it to others since Boston would more likely be known.

Something else that might be useful - was he Catholic? Did he marry in a Catholic church? I don't know if Boston Catholic church records are online, but the RCs were more methodical about the records and have a better chance of surviving to the present.

Comment

there is a John and Elizabeth Kinsella 18 Talbot Road Willesden on 1939 register and also reg of electors. Elizabeth Kinsella is on reg of electors for many years at 39 Burns Road, trying to find first one to see if John was ever there with her.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Was Gerald in the military in WW2?

Vera

Comment

I'm on ancestry and it's possibly my tree with the dad as Gerald Carroll as that's the name on his marriage certificate under father, I'm beginning to doubt if he actually was. The other ones are wife of Gerald's son that is also looking for more information on Gerald Carroll. Another one is possibly mine also but separated from mine for my husbands DNA result

That's definitely mine with the Elizabeth and John Kinsella. I just added them whilst I looked up more info. As of yet I still haven't come across a record of an Elizabeth having a child called Gerald.

Gerald was in the army and do have is army number. I emailed the FWR to ask if they would have had his place of birth on his records but they replied with a no.

Comment

do you know if his mother worked? Some of the immigration records had an occupation, did see midwife on one - but dates looked wrong on that particular one, didn't look at anymore in case you knew.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

We know zero about her apart from the surname Kinsella and the address. Plus what I was told regarding Gerald. Everything was all kept hush hush due to my husband's nan having a child by Gerald out of wedlock but going by the name Mrs Carroll until the day she died.

Comment

Parking all this here:

I downloaded the electoral reg to see if I could find any records with a Elizabeth & John

in 1938 there is one 21 Greenhill Park - there are 2 John Kinsella's and an Elizabeth (maybe his son?)

1939 John and Elizabeth 18 Talbot road (matches 1939 reg)

earliest sighting in 39 Burns road is 1946 and no John

there is a John T Kinsella in Willesden in 1946

There is then a John and Margaret Kinsella Stapleton Road

who are then in Hazeldean road

Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X