Still Missing Two Mitchell Deaths - probably in workhouses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On genuki.org there is

Newington/Newington St Mary South of the river. Stoke Newington is Nth of the river and just North of Bethnal Green and MEOT.

Vera

Comment

Bethnal Green & MEOT were their stomping grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
        Anne dies in 1887 at 121 Gibsons Buildings, Stamford Hill, Hackney

and...I'm still missing William Mitchell's DC. He died in St Luke's Workhouse, 8 Jan 1840. Burial is on ancestry. I've tried for his DC before, but not since the GRO brought up its new ordering system which was newly re-indexed. I have settlement records for him from, I think, 1833
        There is also a William Mitchell b 1781 who died 1844 aged 63. Buried at St John Hoxton 21 April 1844. EDIT on FMP Street address Provost St.
        Same area and street address as that of Martha Mitchell who died 1848. There is a William Mitchell on the 1841 aged 61 in St Luke's w/hse. However should be a Shoreditch reg and the only one on GRO is aged 76 years.

I have checked out MEOT Infirmary and Workhouse records for John Mitchell b 1803. Nothing I could see
        for 1882-1887. Will check out Stoke Newington as they were there 1871.

Vera

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

There is also a William Mitchell b 1781 who died 1844 aged 63. Buried at St John Hoxton 21 April 1844. EDIT on FMP Street address Provost St.
          Same area and street address as that of Martha Mitchell who died 1848. There is a William Mitchell on the 1841 aged 61 in St Luke's w/hse. However should be a Shoreditch reg and the only one on GRO is aged 76 years.

I have checked out MEOT Infirmary and Workhouse records for John Mitchell b 1803. Nothing I could see
          for 1882-1887. Will check out Stoke Newington as they were there 1871.

Vera

​​​​​​
          and Stamford Hill is pretty much Stoke Newington, so they could have both moved there after 1881 (if he was still alive)
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Vera

​​​​​​
            Awesome, Vera! Dunno if it helps, but Martha Mitchell is in the Saint Luke's Workhouse in the 1841 census, age 60, second to bottom right of the page

Comment

I see her there. I wonder if the 76 year old is your man although workhouse would have had correct dob.

Many years ago but not 1841 I used to change at Moorgate for Old Street and walk along City Road. It was gloomy then with few shops. I gather a lot more lively now.

Vera

Comment

There is a William Mitchell on the 1841 aged 61 in St Luke's w/hse. However should be a Shoreditch reg and the only one on GRO is aged 76 years.
                ​​​​​​
                Could you give a link for that William Mitchell? And, of course - ages in the 1841 are only approximations!

Comment

Interesting, I had thought that this burial was his
                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

But that census record makes sense. And opens up searching upto the time of Martha's death.

Comment

WIlliam Mitchell on Provost Street - I couldn't find the image on Ancestry, but it is on FS - sheds no new light. Page 259 here
                    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...9-XS8M-S?i=258

transcription
                    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Another round of GRO roulette underway - I've ordered the cert.

Comment

Interesting, I had thought that this burial was his
                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

But that census record makes sense. And opens up searching upto the time of Martha's death.
                      That's the burial record I first followed as the William with Martha In St Giles workhouse. At one time also with a child Martha. Got him until Sep 1839. One other on that burial record Mary Dailey was also from St Giles. Will post links for info. Have never found many records for St Luke's w/hse. Think it was perhaps previously City Workhouse.

Fingers crossed for GRO

Vera

Comment

not sure if you have seen this, Sisters Elizabeth and prudence in workhouse

Elizabeth gets married to John Luttman and then joins everyone at MEOT!

Edward Street, White Horse Lane, Duckett St, Jamaica St
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Yes - Mr Luttman is actually counted twice in one of the censuses - in the shop he's working in, and his own home. He also becomes a bricklayer, which is what my g'g'grandfather did. Can't find any link, tho.

Comment

interesting to see that the family stayed close though, possibly supporting one and other, Prudence had been transcribed as Richard! no one seems to have gone to Stoke Newington though apart from the Mitchells
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

The 1861 address for John & Anne (4 Providence Row) was owned by a Coverly cousin...

My g'g'grandfather's last UK residence was in Bristol. There were well-off Coverly cousins in Bristol, and I've wondered if he went there because of that connection - but again, I've found no records tying them/their children to my g'g'grandfather. or his children.

Comment

Have been looking at a Willianm and Martha In St Giles in the Fields Workhouse. Lots of entries and finding one with a child Martha. Earlier on in my search was a w/hse record for William died 1840 with note Provost Rd but can't for the life of me find it again to confirm same w/ hse. No death reg under that district. Register now with Camden. No death reg under Shoreditch. Registers now at Hacckney.
                                ​​​​​​

Vera

Comment

1802 - marriage - St Mary, Islington
                                  1808 - 3 children - William, Mary & Elizabeth - baptised, St Lukes, Finsbury, Islington
                                  1811 - Anna MariaFinsbury, Islington
                                  1813 - Susannah Margaret, St Leonard, Shoreditch, Hackney
                                  1820 - Margaret - Orchard Street, St Luke, Finsbury, Islington, England
                                  1851 - Martha, Adult baptism, Charterhouse St Thomas, Middlesex
                                  1823 - Sarah Matilda, Saint Luke,Old Charlton

gotta run, but in the Examination, he gives his address in (?)1818

Have you played with FS's map for 1851 England. I can't get the PLU for St Giles in the FIeld, tho it is of limited value with the different date

Comment

The 1833 settlement examination
                                    ... to Wit he is age 52 years of age and that in the Summer of 1818 he took an entire House No 5 Pinks Row John's Row in the Parish of Saint Luke Middlesex... he rented and occupied same 3 years and an half and he hath not since gained any other settlement...<children> and himself and family have become chargeable to the Parish of Saint Leonard Shoreditch

and off he went....
                                    so in 1818 - 1822, he was in Saint Lukes

Comment

so in 1818 - 1822, he was in Saint Lukes
                                      Earliest record for St Giles is a Martha 1827.

Not able to confirm any records with addresses. Guardians have same set although they do have an apprentice register.

Whilst looking for William and Martha saw entries for a Mary Ann, Margaret, Elizabeth, Susannah, and Sarah. A Martha was with William and Martha in 1836.

So lived in St Luke's until 1822. 1823 had a child baptised Old Charlton, Sth of the river. Was living.in Hoxton at time of Settlement in 1833.
                                      Possibly at one point moved into area of St Giles and St Georges, back to St Luke's for 1841 census , then to Hoxton St John by 1844 when William died.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

So lived in St Luke's until 1822. 1823 had a child baptised Old Charlton, Sth of the river. Was living.in Hoxton at time of Settlement in 1833.
                                        Possibly at one point moved into area of St Giles and St Georges, back to St Luke's for 1841 census , then to Hoxton St John by 1844 when William died.
                                        Sarah Matilda's bp is on FMP Kent baptisms Charlton by Greenwich St Lukes. No image. Free Reg has William a Gunner in the RN

There is also another Settlement record in Martha' s name. Oct 1834. Not sure who she is seeking help from. Wm and Margaret sick. Also mentions Martha. Same marriage details. Different house. One taken 5 years previously at Cottage Lane, City Rd. Renting and occupation for 3 years.

Vera

​​
                                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                        X