Still Missing Two Mitchell Deaths - probably in workhouses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    found John on census 1871 at 46 Grosvenor street - born in Lancashire 1795, a police pensioner

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ue&pId=5231680

with wife Isabella

so he is not your man
    Nice find Carolyn.

vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Nice find Carolyn.

vera
      Yes indeed - I don't have to try to get a hold of the inquest

Comment

If 1881 is correct and he is still alive Canal Road could be his last address, and he was away from the home for some reason. Was going to see where canal road was, it doesn't appear to be on current maps.

Did you say you had Annies death cert - what was her address?

Have you checked where each of the children in the 1880s? what about her (or his) siblings were any of those close by in that period?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Anne dies in 1887 at 121 Gibsons Buildings, Stamford Hill, Hackney

and...I'm still missing William Mitchell's DC. He died in St Luke's Workhouse, 8 Jan 1840. Burial is on ancestry. I've tried for his DC before, but not since the GRO brought up its new ordering system which was newly re-indexed. I have settlement records for him from, I think, 1833

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            Anne dies in 1887 at 121 Gibsons Buildings, Stamford Hill, Hackney

and...I'm still missing William Mitchell's DC. He died in St Luke's Workhouse, 8 Jan 1840. Burial is on ancestry. I've tried for his DC before, but not since the GRO brought up its new ordering system which was newly re-indexed. I have settlement records for him from, I think, 1833
            Like father like son. Have tried every which way to find William's dc. I have I think the burial record for 8 Jan 1840. William was buried in the St Luke's Parish having died in the Workhouse. He could I suppose have been in other than St Luke's workhouse. There are others on the record from the Workhouse. Free bmd has then as being registered in Shoreditch. Unfortunately no record for William.

Do you know when Martha died?

I do wonder if John was in an institution other than workhouse in 1881. Sometimes they are recorded by initials. Will take a look

Vera

Comment

I did find the roads on the maps, no help, but I like to get bearings of where they all were! added them here if you wanted to see

Edward street and Canal Road (no longer on maps) are very close and Providence Road I couldn't find but found the area from the census three colts street, Driffield road area. Also Burdett road where a daughter was living prior to marriage

Edward Road and Stamford Hill are very close to each other in Stoke Newington area, no idea if this is significant.

There is this website for local Tower hamlets cemetery, can't see him on an Ancestry search https://fothcp.org/find-a-grave/ link direct to the record set https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/61263/ you can browse through the records

Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Like father like son.
                Yes. And grandson.

Do you know when Martha died?
                Martha Mitchell: 27 Nov 1848 Saint Luke's Workhouse Hoxton New Town; 68 yrs; Widow of William Mitchell Tinman <thanks for that occupation, informant!> Informant: Margaret Courtier Present at the Death Saint Luke's Workhouse Hoxton New Town.

Truly, Tinman/Tin Plate Worker has allowed me to follow the records. I have not found a Freedom nor Apprenticeship record for William Mitchell. Crawled thru Tin Plate Worker's Company records. Either he did not have Freedom of the Company, or he was of another Company. Been a long time, but I think I remember that Tinplate came from either Iron or ?? Company. I also think he had family connections to the Devon/Cornwall border area.

There is a somewhat younger William Mitchell, Tin Plate Worker in London. Also, there's another John Bidgood Mitchell baptised 1798. Reasonable to think they are connected.

Comment

Since the fothcp website mentions consecrated/unconsecrated - Martha was born a Quaker. John Bidgood married a non-conformist. Their son William baptised his first daughter at a Methodist church.

I don't know William's & Martha's religious beliefs, but when I see baptisms that take place years after a birth, I'm suspicious of at least a disinterest in the CofE. John Bidgood was born in 1803 but baptised in 1808 with two of his sibs.

Comment

I can see the Coverly family is big, and that her half brother was with her in 1851, have you been through their records?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I can see the Coverly family is big, and that her half brother was with her in 1851, have you been through their records?
                      Proving my g'g'grandfather's parentage was a monumental task. I traced all children (that I could) of john B and Anna; her siblings; her father's siblings; her father's father's siblings; John B's siblings (not always easy to identify). My g'g'grandfather nor his nuclear family did not show up as witnesses to nothin'. We finally said "proved" when we could triangulate a segment between my father, my father's 2C and a (presumed) descendant of John B's sister. It also "proved" that relationship, as saying that Martha Mitchell, d/o Wm Mitchell Tinman is difficult be sure of, too.

Comment

just wondered if Stoke Newington there were 'family' as Ann death cert was there, so was wondering if any nearby.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Have been looking at a Willianm and Martha In St Giles in the Fields Workhouse. Lots of entries and finding one with a child Martha. Earlier on in my search was a w/hse record for William died 1840 with note Provost Rd but can't for the life of me find it again to confirm same w/ hse. No death reg under that district. Register now with Camden. No death reg under Shoreditch. Registers now at Hackney.
                          ​​​​​​
                          On my travels came across a Freedom record for William Mitchell Tin Plate Worker. It's 1825 and a ? Address Birchir Lane.

Have been looking at the maps Carolyn. Love maps. Think Canal Rd East of the City and Stoke Newington NE of the City but not sure. I wonder why John and Ann kept changing areas?

Great family to research PhotoFamily. Lots of records available but for now just not the ones we want re John and William.

Not forgetting John post 1881.

Vera

​​​​​​

Comment

Have been looking at a Willianm and Martha In St Giles in the Fields Workhouse. Lots of entries and finding one with a child Martha. Earlier on in my search was a w/hse record for William died 1840 with note Provost Rd but can't for the life of me find it again to confirm same w/ hse. No death reg under that district. Register now with Camden. No death reg under Shoreditch. Registers now at Hackney.
                            ​​​​​​
                            On my travels came across a Freedom record for William Mitchell Tin Plate Worker. It's 1825 and a ? Address Birchir Lane.

Have been looking at the maps Carolyn. Love maps. Think Canal Rd East of the City and Stoke Newington NE of the City but not sure. I wonder why John and Ann kept changing areas?

Great family to research PhotoFamily. Lots of records available but for now just not the ones we want re John and William.

Not forgetting John post 1881.

Vera

​​​​​​
                            I have marked Canal road on the maps, one just says 'Road' I have cut off the word canal!, it runs next to the canal on the East side, now all parkland. Some of the Coverley's were in the area too, saw a couple and lost them again as they were on trees on Ancestry.

I note that Ann Coverley and Samuel Mitchell? were wintesses to sister Mary, and she stays in Mile end/Bethnal Green area:

they did keep switching between Stoke Newington & Mile End.

Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Well, here's some of the research
                              Is this your ancestor? Explore genealogy for Anna Coverly born 1810 St Michaels Crooked Lane, London, Middlesex England died 1887 Hackney, Middlesex, England including ancestors + descendants + more in the free family tree community.

cbcarolyn that is a brilliant idea. I have several challenges to confess - I find London geography to be challenging (mentioned in another thread); I am using an ancient copy of Family Historian, and feel challenged pulling reports with it (but I just ran one, and didn't see other Stokes Newington); and this was some of the first in depth research I did, and the first effort that I made to document well. Not sure every detail made it into FH, either in individual censuses, or in the detail of an address.

Geography - St Mary Newington is different than Stokes Newington, right?

Moving - again, I really feel that this family had money problems, probably at least in part d/t JBM not working (not being able to?).

Will review research for addresses more thoroughly, starting from the center and moving out.

Comment

I read that as Wm Mitchell and Anne Coverly, witnesses to Mary Matthews Coverly's marriage in 1832 - and I was so excited when I found that. I've thought it was JBM's father, William Mitchell.

One of those genealogy lessons - I eventually realized that Anne and John Mitchell were living next to Mary James in later censuses.

Comment

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
                                  Again, it's been a while since I played with these records. 1825 should be the younger William Mitchell who is working in London. I think he eventually lived on Nicholas Lane.

Also - mentioned previously - there's another John Bidgood Mitchell baptised 1798. A cousin has his father and William Mitchell (b~1780) as brothers. I just want more proof.

Comment

I take it back...that Freedom could belong to either of them.

So, looking at records that I made years ago, I do have that Company Admission by Redemption in 1825. I had assumed it was the other Wm Mitchell.

Would it make sense for him to pay the Redemption in 1825 - about age 45?

The 1833 settlement examination
                                    ... to Wit he is age 52 years of age and that in the Summer of 1818 he took an entire House No 5 Pinks Row John's Row in the Parish of Saint Luke Middlesex... he rented and occupied same 3 years and an half and he hath not since gained any other settlement...<children> and himself and family have become chargeable to the Parish of Saint Leonard Shoreditch

and off he went....

Comment

I read that as Wm Mitchell and Anne Coverly, witnesses to Mary Matthews Coverly's marriage in 1832 - and I was so excited when I found that. I've thought it was JBM's father, William Mitchell.

One of those genealogy lessons - I eventually realized that Anne and John Mitchell were living next to Mary James in later censuses.
                                      yes you are right - not sure why I thought Samuel!
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Well, here's some of the research
                                        Is this your ancestor? Explore genealogy for Anna Coverly born 1810 St Michaels Crooked Lane, London, Middlesex England died 1887 Hackney, Middlesex, England including ancestors + descendants + more in the free family tree community.

cbcarolyn that is a brilliant idea. I have several challenges to confess - I find London geography to be challenging (mentioned in another thread); I am using an ancient copy of Family Historian, and feel challenged pulling reports with it (but I just ran one, and didn't see other Stokes Newington); and this was some of the first in depth research I did, and the first effort that I made to document well. Not sure every detail made it into FH, either in individual censuses, or in the detail of an address.

Geography - St Mary Newington is different than Stokes Newington, right?

Moving - again, I really feel that this family had money problems, probably at least in part d/t JBM not working (not being able to?).

Will review research for addresses more thoroughly, starting from the center and moving out.
                                        There is a Newington south of the river, I don't know it though. Which is where St Marys is.

I am no expert on London, I know bits and pieces.

NB It is Stoke Newington, no S. it is not far from Mile End/Bethnal Green area, only a few miles, but somehow seems odd, a lot of the other moves were quite nearby, you can see where I have marked some of the roads.

In my head any move in old age would be for a reason, maybe to be near, or with family, whereas working age it will always be for work. On a modern map you can see where they are.

Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 00.14.27.png

the NLS maps are useful, the side by side are quite good fun, but not always easy if the roads do not exist, and not all of the old maps are available for the side by side

like you say sister Mary next door, and brother Charles (I think) was with them on another. Witnesses etc so did seem a close family.

Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X