No announcement yet.

Still Missing Two Mitchell Deaths - probably in workhouses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there directories for the 1790s that would list people by street? A couple of John & Margaret Mitchell's children are baptised in St Sepulchre, Newgate, and have an address of Hosier Street (to me, looks more like Hosea). I have not spotted JM, Tin Plate Worker at that address, nor a JM at that address. I've only been looking in Ancestry.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
      not finding anything to say that is them, found these, but seem a bit off for that census records, baptisms not matching parents names, some burns/mitchell births are around that time

BURNS, GEORGE MITCHELL
      GRO Reference: 1841 J Quarter in THE SHOREDITCH DISTRICT Volume 02 Page 339
      BURNS, HENRY HUGH MITCHELL
      GRO Reference: 1844 S Quarter in SAINT LUKE MIDDLESEX Volume 02 Page 272
      BURNS, WILLIAM ROBERT MITCHELL
      GRO Reference: 1846 J Quarter in SAINT LUKE MIDDLESEX Volume 02 Page 316
      BURNS, EMMA MITCHELL
      GRO Reference: 1843 M Quarter in SAINT LUKE MIDDLESEX Volume 02 Page 284
      BURNS, SARAH MITCHELL
      GRO Reference: 1850 S Quarter in SAINT LUKES MIDDLESEX Volume 02 Page 287
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Are there directories for the 1790s that would list people by street? A couple of John & Margaret Mitchell's children are baptised in St Sepulchre, Newgate, and have an address of Hosier Street (to me, looks more like Hosea). I have not spotted JM, Tin Plate Worker at that address, nor a JM at that address. I've only been looking in Ancestry.

Thanks!
        There is a Hosier Lane very nearby, can't see any trade directories as early as that anywhere atm.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Any chance of an obit for Jane Leese, who was buried 31 Dec 1868, Kingston Upon Thames, All Saints, Surrey, England?

Comment

Any chance of an obit for Jane Leese, who was buried 31 Dec 1868, Kingston Upon Thames, All Saints, Surrey, England?
            Had a look but nothing found.

Comment

Louise Mitchell is what I had guessed, too, but the last name of the three? And it's not like there's other handwriting on the page for comparison. I figure she's an aunt or a first cousin.

All other guesses are appreciated. I have an opinion, but I don't want to influence.

In case you don't have access
              temp.png
              Louise Mardrill Green... can definitely see MAR then I'm pretty certain it's a 'D' with a loop at the bottom then RILL. I can't see it being Mitchell it just doesn't look right.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• How about an obit for Lewis Leese, 21 Dec 1860,Death index registration: Uxbridge, Middlesex, United Kingdom. He was living in Norwood in 1851.

Comment

• I did look for him last night, but failed to find anything about him, except the announcement of his death, simple date and place Norwood. I think his father was Lewis Leese also a Dr, died 1848 at the age of 82 also in Norwood, so possibly family house.

here are a few others

South London Press - Saturday 11 March 1865
                  lewis leese South London Press - Saturday 11 March 1865.JPG
                  Saturday 29 December 1860

lewis leese Saturday 29 December 1860.JPG
                  14th Jan 1871

vaux leese 14th Jan 1871.JPG
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 24-08-21, 18:43.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

• cbcarolyn Without actually researching, I suspect Robert and Ann Maria were siblings of Lewis who died inn 1860, and all three were children of the Lewis who died in 1848.

Thank you!

Comment

cbcarolyn Without actually researching, I suspect Robert and Ann Maria were siblings of Lewis who died inn 1860, and all three were children of the Lewis who died in 1848.

Thank you!
                      I think you are right
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

• Have added burial for Ann Coverly Mitchell 1887. Dob out but seem to remember Gibson's Buildings as an address at one time. No John with her unfortunately. Sister Mary Matthew James buried same Cemetery 1893

Do you need to give OK first before entering info?

Vera

Comment

• I have just noticed that Esther b 1842 marries William Hooton from Stoke Newington.

They lived at Sandbrook Road, which is very close to Gibson Gardens. I wondering if this is the 'Gibson Buildings' where you said Anna's death cert was registered. Edwards Lane SN was also their address in 1871, wondering if that is the reason that she ended up there. And if JBM was alive after 1881, if they were both there.

NB Gibson Gardens were new in 1880 https://stokenewington.info/2016/02/...ocally-listed/
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                            Have added burial for Ann Coverly Mitchell 1887. Dob out but seem to remember Gibson's Buildings as an address at one time. No John with her unfortunately. Sister Mary Matthew James buried same Cemetery 1893

Please feel free to enter info. Remember I mentioned that the tree is not complete - I have Anne's Death Cert. Son Samuel was the informant, address was 121 Gibson's Buildings.

Carolyn, that's very interesting. Sounds like she may have qualified to live there d/t monetary circumstances?

Comment

H

ave added burial for Ann Coverly Mitchell 1887. Dob out but seem to remember Gibson's Buildings as an address at one time. No John with her unfortunately. Sister Mary Matthew James buried same Cemetery 1893

Vera
                              Will do.

Do you have date of Ann C Mitchells death in June Q 1887?

Have re-checked GRO. There is another death for an Anna Maria Mitchell Hackney reg June Q 1887 aged 48. Trying to find her as I note different no address on burial scan from that on dc for Ann Coverly Mitchell.

Carolyn I recall now looking at EDIT Gibson's buildings. Originally that name and later EDIT Gibson's Gardens. I suppose at the time the Tenancy could have been given to Samuel as he was employed. John perhaps deceased by then. Or maybe the whole family given a Tenancy of one of the Cottages as elderly parents of the married Esther.

Vera

Comment

Will do.

Do you have date of Ann C Mitchells death in June Q 1887?

Have re-checked GRO. There is another death for an Anna Maria Mitchell Hackney reg June Q 1887 aged 48. Trying to find her as I note different no address on burial scan from that on dc for Ann Coverly Mitchell.

Carolyn I recall now looking at Thompson's buildings. Originally that name and later Thompson's Gardens. I suppose at the time the Tenancy could have been given to Samuel as he was employed. John perhaps deceased by then. Or maybe the whole family given a Tenancy of one of the Cottages as elderly parents of the married Esther.

Vera
                                I have not seen anything yet to confirm that it is the same building - but think it likely. Just looking through newspaper see what it says in there.

Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

• vera2013
                                  Anne's DOD 26 Jun 1887
                                  I'm open to buying interesting but uncertain certs.

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I have not seen anything yet to confirm that it is the same building - but think it likely. Just looking through newspaper see what it says in there.
                                    Think Gibson's Buildings ie flats were later named Gibsons Gdns and included cottages for elderly. Gibson's Buildings Local History is online.

Must get one of those tablets so I can link

Vera

Comment

vera2013
                                      Anne's DOD 26 Jun 1887
                                      I'm open to buying interesting but uncertain certs.
                                      So that fits with a 2nd July burial

Will post any possibles for you to decide

Have so far managed to eliminate the John Mitchell's buried in same cemetery as wife Ann by dismissing them through the usual Sites.

JBM, as others have noted, changed addresses between Stoke Newington and MEOT which makes it difficult to pin point him in a likely workhouse/ infirmary. The period of death for JBM is 1874-1887. Many John Mitchell deaths on G R O have been eliminated. However, as noted for father William, even though likely burial identified, no GRO dc found.

Other likely Cemetery is Abney Park for JBM burial. Very close to Gibson's Buildings. Work going on there to link graves to records. Some records not available at all for those who do not have private graves.

Vera

​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

Think Gibson's Buildings ie flats were later named Gibsons Gdns and included cottages for elderly. Gibson's Buildings Local History is online.

Must get one of those tablets so I can link

Vera
                                        You are doing amazing work Vera.

I did post a link originally to a blog post

in the article it links to

I haven't read them all. Must have been lovely and new, I note it is right opposite Abney Park Cemetery
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• vera2013
                                          Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

You are doing amazing work Vera.

I was thinking those very words!

I haven't attempted the Hoxton office yet for WM's dc...will try to put it together this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                          X