Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
    Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
    Lesley.
    Hi again Lesley,

All roads seem to lead to Alverstoke at the moment! If you are able, could you do a look-up of a marriage of Mary Green to William Pervin 11 Aug 1833 (according to Family Search). I think she was my great great grandmother's sister, and I would be interested to know if it lists him as a widower, and of course any other details such as witnesses.

Hope the new readers are working out well.

Best wishes and many thanks if you are able to check this at some point,

Elaine

Comment

• Hi Elaine,

Will see what I can find for you when I am in town next.

Me and the new reader.........well, less said the better! Will probably have to ask for assistance but I was told that is what the staff are there for.

Really miss the old reader now even though it was passed its sell by date and difficult to read from! At least I didn't need assistance!

Be in touch as soon as I hopefully have something for you

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Elaine - there is a very old thread on genforum which is worth a look at. It includes:

"Looking for information on William Pervin born about 1800 married Sarah Green (about 1824 and then Mary Green about 1833 in Alverstoke, Hampshire, England. One daughter Lucy Payne Pervin born in Portsea about 1838. Had other children as well".

The marriage to Sarah GREEN was 28 Sep 1823 at St. Mary's Portsea

Comment

• Hi again Elaine,

Looks like you were right re William Pevin! He was a widower when he married Mary Green. By banns and both of this Parish.

Witnesses were John Ball and Eliza Whitten(?)

Hope this helps

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi - do you have a link for this? It chimes with what I had recently come across, so it looks as if the researcher has some family members in common.

Comment

• Thanks again Lesley, together with the info posted by Bertie this is very helpful.

Elaine

Comment

• Hi Elaine - here is the link:

Pervin: Looking for information on William Pervin born abo... Read more on Genealogy.com!

I found it simply by Googling "William Pervin" "Sarah Green" [complete with the inverted commas as it reduces the records found only to those most relevant - just the one apart from this forum comes up]
                Last edited by Bertie; 06-11-13, 05:23.

Comment

• Many thanks Bertie, have taken a look at the genforum site link now.

Elaine

Comment

• Hello

Punchs Mum, has previously helped me in the past,..and i was wondering if there is any chance to have you looked something else up for me please!??

There is a bit of confusion in my family tree, ive got to the stage where there are no more records linked with my family on Ancestry,...but some people on Ancestry have my relations, running into a well known/wealthy family,...but im not too convinced, they are correct!...so to clarify this, would you look up,for me the parentsm of Stephen Weston Born abt 1580-1589,in Rotherwick Hampshire, died 1694 in Hartley Wespall Hampshire??
                    He married an Avis Benham in September 1605, in Rotherwick!???

I would be every so grateful?

Kindest regards
                    Gina

Comment

• Hi Gina,

I am sorry to say that I can only do look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport and not the whole of Hampshire.

Maybe someone else can help you if you post on the main Research board?

Lesley

Comment

• oh yes...durr..if i had read the headline,..i would have known that!
                        thanks anyway!
                        Gina XX

Comment

• Hi,
                          I'm looking for a family: George, Martha and William Bell. George was supposedly born in Gosport in 1786-ish, possibly the son of William Bell and Grace Brown. At his trial at the Old Bailey in 1812 he said he was a native of Gosport. I don't know whether his wife Martha Porter was also from Gosport. George was employed on the boats taking goods out to Navy vessels, would that have been working from Gosport itself? He worked for a John Richards (from whom he stole). George and Martha had a son, William, born 1812. George was transported to Australia in 1813, with Martha and William following in 1814.

Comment

• Apology

Sorry, how rude of me - I didn't sign my post.
                            Regards,
                            Jennifer

Comment

• Here is the Old Bailey case, with more detail and an alias for George:

In it he says he was born in Gosport
                              Last edited by Bertie; 27-11-13, 05:45.

Comment

• The only options that fit re. Gosport are:

William BELL bap. 26 Sep 1787 Gosport (parents William & Grace)
                                George BELL bap. 27 Oct 1793 Holy Trinity, Gosport (parents ditto)

However, George was supposedly 26 in 1812 so unlikely to be that bap in 1793. Although William is about the right age his name is wrong. Do you have any other age information that would corroborate his birth around 1786?

Do you have a birth location for son William born 1812? Do you have a marriage for George and Martha?

Comment

• From 'The Hamer Family': "George Bell, alias George William Porter, was a waterman working a barge on the canals of Middlesex just north of London"

Comment

• At convictrecords.com.au the following additional information is listed from his convict record or from contributions:

- another alias was George DALTON
                                    - died 29 Dec 1851 age 69 (indicating a birth year of 1782). Perhaps a long shot is George Hedges BELL bap. 19 May 1782 St. Mary, Portsea (just over the water from Gosport)

Comment

• If he really was a "waterman" on the Thames then he belonged ot an Honourable Company - or at least something similar with stringent membership rules and plenty of paper trail...

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Thanks everybody. Pretty much all I have on George, Martha and William are their respective emigration details and their deaths in Australia. The only connection with Gosport is that George at his trial said that was where he was born, and as that was where his boss was based it seemed likely - although George's honesty is questionable. Maybe he lied about his age for some reason, although the difference between 19 and 26 would be noticed. Did the Portsmouth/Gosport watermen have an organization that may have records? I couldn't find any on the Web. On a convict list it gave George's occupation as waterman, so I did assume initially that he was from London. Possibly he wasn't living in Gosport, maybe in Portsmouth? (I only have a vague grasp of the geography involved). If I can find Martha's birth place maybe that will answer some questions.
                                        Thanks again
                                        Jennifer

Comment

• Hello. I am trying to find a few graves in the Gosport area. I would search myself but I no longer live in England and I'm not having much luck online either. Heres the info I do know but just not where they are buried and I would like to go and visit their graves on my next visit home.

John Hulse b.8th May 1888 in Liverpool - died 12th October 1966 in Gosport.
                                          his wife Ada Mary Hulse (nee Upstell) b.1894 in Scotland - died 28th Feb 1947 in Gosport.
                                          Their son Edgar John Hulse b.6th Apr 1920 in Birkenhead - died 30th Nov 1981 in Gosport

Alfred Upstell b.18 Feb 1854 in Gosport - died 11th Feb 1935 in Gosport
                                          his wife Emily Upstell (nee Burbidge) b. 23rd March 1861 in Botley - died 26th Nov 1919 in Marylebone, London (died in London Hospital but lived in Gosport)

Isreal Upstell b.1808 in Exton, Hampshire - died 21st Jan 1891 Alverstoke
                                          his wife Eliza Upstell (nee Knight) b.1818 in Hambledon - died 1882 Alverstoke

Edith Annie Hayter b.7th Jan 1887 in Kent - died 10th Sept 1964 in Gosport (think she's buried with her husband, James Roy Hayter died 1976 in Gosport)

ANY INFORMATION would be AMAZING!! I have all their birth records/marriages and deaths just where they are buried. But if you find any information you want to share please do!!

Many Thanks
                                          Adam

Comment

Working...
                                          X