No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann......Do you know which church the marriage was in please?

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley, very sorry I don't know which Church all I know it was about Oct -Dec
      I hope it isn't a problem .

Ann

Comment

• I'll do my best Ann. Maybe not until next week though.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi again Ann. No luck today at the Study Centre finding the marriage of Frank Lacy to Jessie Oliver. I checked through the four main Churches but bearing in mind 1915 was War Time there were not many marriages at all! Have you thought that the marriage may have been a Registry Office one in which case there would be no record of it at the SC?

I did come across a 1916 (not 1915) street directory in which there were 3 Olivers listed. I assumed Gosport would have been the home town of Jessie Oliver rather than Frank. The names I found were Ephraim Oliver, Joseph Oliver and a Thomas Oliver living mainly in the Forton area of town. Could any of these confirm anything for you?

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
            Thank you very much for looking for the marriage, I am sorry you had a wasted journey, also sorry you had to look in four Churches, I thought there were two, may be they did marry in the Registry Office.
            The names in the street directory are not her family, thank you for that.
            Ann

Comment

• I would be delighted if you can do a lookup for me. The IGI has a baptism for Rosina Knight at Holy Trinity, Gosport on 6th June 1865, the daughter of William and Catherine. However, the transcript does not include the father's occupation which I need in order to prove (or disprove!) a theory about one of my ancestors. Also, Rosina died as an infant so I am interested in knowing if there is a burial record for her.
              Best wishes
              Brian

Comment

• Will take a look when I am in town next. Probably not until next week though. Do you know definately that Rosina was buried in Alverstoke as I can no longer do blanket searches. I need a rough idea of a date.

Lesley

Comment

• sorry duplicated message!
                  Last edited by Punchs mum; 01-10-14, 20:34. Reason: duplicated!

Comment

• Thanks for the reply. Big apologies - I've boobed so it's a good you can't check out the record until next week. The year should be 1861 not 1865. I don't know for sure that Rosina was buried at the same church that she was baptised in but I suspect that the baptism may have taken place because she was dying. It may have bee a private baptism. Her birth and death were registered in the same quarter so, if she is buried at Holy Trinity, it will be early June 1861 (soon after the 6th). Hope that helps.
                    Regards
                    Brian

Comment

• Look up for BrianChatters.

Hi. Eventually found the baptism record for Rosina which was on 6th July 1861!! Was not able to confirm what the fathers occupation was as neither I nor the very nice library assistant could read because of the bad handwriting!!
                      However, with help from the said library assistant was able to get a copy of the record!!. (Actually, she done it for me!!)

If you want to give me your e mail address via a private message, I can scan it through to you and maybe you can decipher the handwriting! Also the place of abode was a mystery to us both!

If you 'click' on my board name you will be able to send a PM to me. E mail addresses are not permitted on the Forum as far as I know.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley. Would be grateful if you could look for the baptism of Fanny AHERN at Holy Trinity Church, Gosport, 14 July 1861, to see if there are any more details available than I found on Familysearch. Parents should be Michael and Mary. Would also like to know if there is a death of a previous child, also named 'Fanny', who was born ca 1857 in India and just may have died in Gosport before 1861.
                        Thank you for your kind offer of look ups.
                        Beverley
                        Last edited by Macbev; 12-10-14, 07:57.

Beverley

Comment

• Hi Macbev! Would you beleive it! The copy of the baptism for Rosina Knight which I done for Brian Chatters in post 890, show the baptism you are looking for of Fanny Ahern.
                          Can confirm that parents are Michael and Mary Abode Gosport. Father was a corporal in 18th(15th?) Kings Reg.

Can scan to your private e mail address if you want a copy!

Re the possible death, Not able to do blanket searches these days though unless you have a more accurate date. Too time consuming now with the modern technology installed in library which I am not familiar with and cannot use to its full potenial. Sorry.

Lesley
                          Last edited by Punchs mum; 12-10-14, 09:00. Reason: spelling!

Comment

• Thank you so much Lesley.

Will PM you with my email address, as I would love to have the image. Can't be more specific about the earlier Fanny, unfortunately, as I was taking a blind shot......she is just as likely to have died in India before the regiment was recalled.

Suspect that regt. number should be '8th'

Beverley

Comment

• Upstell family.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this, very helpful and much appreciated. I recently visited Anns Hill to see if I could find any of the gravestones in my Upstell family tree. Sadly I could only find ONE…out of 12 that I had hoped to have found. I have Great Grandparents and Great Great Grandparents buried there. Sadly I couldn't find any of their headstones, they possibly didn't have one but still I had my map with me and struggled to figure out the exact plot numbers. I'd like to put at least something in all of their plots but just couldn't figure it out. Anyway thank you very much for your help.

Originally posted by knightroots View Post
                              Hi Adam - we have transcribed an index for Anns Hill Cemetery 1855-1953 and here are all of the UPSTELL and derivatives over the years:

Page No Entry No 1st name Surname Burial date
                              92 10,892 Mary UPSDELL June 09 1886
                              17 9383 Eliza UPSTALL Mar 13 1882
                              12 11,314 Frances UPSTELL July 22 1887
                              79 12,651 Israel UPSTELL Jan 27 1891
                              19 13,541 Agnes Grace UPSTELL Mar 18 1893
                              33 13,835 Hilda May UPSTELL Nov 22 1893
                              33 13,836 Edwin Albert UPSTELL Nov 22 1893

57 14,315 Edith Alice UPSTELL Mar 09 1895
                              85 14,861 Victor Emanuel Robert UPSTELL July 20 1896
                              17 15,566 Edward Oliver Ernest UPSTELL Apr 07 1898

35 22,991 William George Jesse UPSTELL Aug 09 1916
                              99 24,276 Emily UPSTELL Dec 03 1919

165 25,587 William UPSTELL Nov 8 1923
                              236 27,011 Ann UPSTILL Feb 22 1928

117 29,683 Albert Leonard UPSTELL Feb 23 1935
                              129 29,929 Alfred UPSTELL Nov 6 1935
                              Hopw this helps
                              Linda & Tony Knight
                              Hampshire OPC Co-ordinators
                              www.knightroots.co.uk

Comment

• Adamgullidge, did you have individual maps of each plot from Gosport Borough Council to help with the location of the graves of your Upstall ancestors? I assume that you didn't because the chances are that even if your ancestors did not have headstones, the names of persons buried nearby with headstone are listed on the maps of each plot which would have enabled you to use them as a guide to locating your rellies burial site. I found my G.Grandparents by this method as they did not have a headstone to mark their grave.

Will keep my eye open though for any Upstalls headstones during my frequent walks through the cemetery with the dog!

Punchs Mum

Comment

• Ann's Hill - Upstell - Hulse

Hello Punchs Mum - So on my visit to Anns Hill I had the maps that were so kindly sent to me from GBC but I didn't bring the individual maps with all the plot names. So even though I took the time to mark the graves on my map, I couldn't look for any one buried nearby! So my one day I had set aside was a huge disappointment! Ugh. I no longer live in England and won't be back now for probably some time. I did however find only one out of 12! I wonder if there was someone I could email the map and locations to and have them try to locate and photograph the plots for me?? I would include the names of persons buried nearby. I'd eventually like to at least to put a plaque or something in all of their plots, especially my great grandparents.

Well anyway enjoy your walks with the dog, thanks for the suggestions. Cheers.

Comment

• Jonathan and Portia Wimpory

Originally posted by phyde67 View Post
                                    Hi, and thanks for your wonderful offer
                                    I am searching for more of the Wimpory/Wimpery family. I know that Jonathan Wimpory married Patty Diddams in Alverstoke on 25 Jun 1788. There children were variously born in Droxford, Portsmouth and London, so I don't know how stong their ties were to Alverstoke, but any help would be greatly appeciated.
                                    Peter Hyde
                                    South Australia
                                    I’m a PhD student at St Andrews University and have found the above discussion of the Wimpory family on here from 2010. I've messaged Peter, but can anyone fill in some gaps for me related to this, and other posts on page 27 of this thread concerning Jonathan and Portia Wimpory?

My interest in the Wimporys is that they were friends and correspondents of John Thelwall the radical politician and poet, later a pioneer speech therapist. Jonathan accompanied Thelwall on a 'pedestrian excursion' in the summer of 1797 from London to Somerset. After they parted in Bath, Jonathan returned home 'on the Southampton stage' and Thelwall made his way to Alfoxton in the Quantocks where he hoped to settle with Coleridge and Wordsworth. Unfortunately, government agents and local suspicion that he was a French spy made the area so uncomfortable for Thelwall that he eventually settled on the Welsh borders.

We have a letter from Thelwall to Jonathan in 1797 and he was still writing to Portia shortly before his death in the 1730s [http://www.rc.umd.edu/reference/thel...nology/chrono]. I'd be interested to know if ayone’s researches have elicited more information about the family. I'm particularly interested in the following:

1) Was the Coventry Street shoemaker the same man? It would be particularly interesting if Thelwall's companion transmuted into a strike breaking employer in later life -- though not unprecedented, Thomas Hardy (not the novelist!) who founded the London Corresponding Society, with which Thelwall was associated and was co-accused with him in the 1794 treason trial, was a master shoe-maker and had to deal with strike by his workforce. There are some other references to the Coventry Street Wimpory available via the 'connected histories' website -- more stuff on the strike, someone successfully defending themselves against a charge of stealing a pair of boots from him in 1805 (they produced a receipt!) and a suggestion that he may have been bankrupt by 1824 -- the reference to a 'blott maker' is machine reading of 'boot maker'. [ http://www.connectedhistories.org/Se...-31&kw=wimpory ] Some of the linked sites are subscription only unfortunately but anyone who wants further details ask me and I can provide more details.

2) Was the Fleet Street shoemaker the same guy -- I suspect not -- was he the father of either of the younger Jonathans -- if they were not the same guy? Was HE the person who married Eliz Dawson in Bristol in 1753?

3) Linked to the last question, have you found any links which Jonathan had to the West Country -- Thelwall suggests that he stayed with relatives of Wimpory in Frome and Bath and visited friends or relatives he had in Bristol, may these have been linked via Eliz Dawson?

Any information you can let me have would be appreciated -- either via here or direct to PMM4@st-andrews.ac.uk -- Thanks Paul.

Comment

• Sorry on a more careful reading I realise that the fleet street Wimpory was trading 1814 -- and could quite possibly be the same person as was trading in coventry street a decade before -- for some reason I'd conflated that reference with the Bristol marriage.

Comment

• Paul, I think this post is more likely to get replies if posted of the Research Board. It will get more views. Too complicated for me to even try and help there are people far more experienced than me to deal with this one. Bertie would probably be the one to contact as he has already done a great deal of research on the Wimporys for PHyde 67 as you probably have already seen on previous posts.

Think maybe a Moderator can move it for you if requested

Punchs Mum

Comment

• Hi Lesley and a very big thank you for offering these look-ups!
                                          My request is for a marriage at Holy Trinity church, Gosport. February 15 1832 between Richard WHYE & Ann LEEKE. FamilySearch, Ancestry & FMP have transcripts so very little detail. I'm hoping that the Groom's name has either been mistranscribed or carelessly recorded in the register & should read WHYTE but what will clinch it for me is if he's noted as being of the 84th regiment of Foot,

Fingers crossed,

Jane

Comment

Working...
                                          X