Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look up for PaulineM

Hi Pauline

The marriage was by Banns at St Marys Alverstoke and it says that they were both of this Parish.

Edward was stated as Batchelor and Amelia as Spinster.

The witnesses names were (looks like!) Elizabeth ? possibly Field and Joseph Gear who I know to be a Parish Clerk as his name appears on many Marriage records.

The fact that they stated to be of this Parish is not always the full truth. I know that both sets of my G G Grandfathers married in Portsea but were from Gosport/Alverstoke. I have been told that this was a common occurance to flip across the harbour to get married if they had something to hide! It was never checked to see if their claims were true. I suspect both of my set of G G Grandfathers were hiding something!!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley,

That's wonderful - thanks for your help. That's interesting to hear about marrying across the harbour - I'll have to do some more digging!

Pauline

Comment

• Hello again!

Whilst attempting to generate a CD / DVD version of my Tree I have found a few (?) loose ends which (hopefully) the records at the Research Centre may help to resolve.

The records I'd like to see and if possible have a scan of - email OK - are:-

1) Ann Whitcomb marriage to Joseph Watts 14 April 1794, Alverstoke

2) Anne Whitcomb marriage to John White 2 February 1807, Alverstoke.
        (This one you've previously looked at for me, but I do not have a scan.)

3) Ann W Whitcomb marriage to John Stephens 9 February 1806, Alverstoke.

Ray Whitcombe

Comment

• Hello Ray,

I will see what I can do but unfortunately since they installed the new microfiche reader I now have to ask for help in getting it started and with the printing out. Some staff are more helpful than others!

Will get back to you as soon as I can. At least I have the dates which will help!

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Raywhi42

Hi Ray.

Unfortunatley, no luck re printing you the scans you requested. The lady on duty at the time of my visit to Study Centre was also,like me, unfamiliar with the new microfiche reader and was unable to help at the time of my visit.

I did manage to find via a very old reader that is hidden in a corner, one of the look ups you requested. Not an easy task as the machine is not working as it should and it is time consuming to view as the film sheet moves everytime the viewer is moved!! Then it needs to be refocused! However, this info may be of help to you.

Joseph Watts widower married Ann Whitecomb a spinster. Both of this Parish. By licence on 14/4/1794. Both signed.

witnesses were Mary March and Tho Whitcomb.

Could not find the marriage to John Stephens on 9/2/1806 but will take another look when I have more time and hopefully someone on duty who knows about the printing of the films.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Lesley
            Last edited by Punchs mum; 15-05-14, 08:04. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking again at this marriage between an Ann Whitcomb & John Stevens on FamilySearch and see that there is
              a bit of confusion! On one line the date is 9/2/1806 and on another it is 9/2/1807 - So if you manage to "tame" that fiche reader you have a choice of years !!!

Another point is now that the Study Centre has been "Upgraded" ?? do they have access to records from across the harbour in Portsmouth ?
              As you have remarked it was common for couples to elope one way or the other to avoid too much publicity!!! or family interference.

Ray

Comment

• Hi Ray, Re your question with regards to Portsmouth Records, unfortunately they do not keep them this side of the water!

They seemed to have put more emphasis on Naval Studies now in the Discovery Centre/Study Centre. It is now known as Local and Naval Studies. The local side of things having been moved to a smaller room and the Naval Studies have taken the larger space left! Ideal if you are researching ships etc.

I will go back and 'do battle' with the fiche reader and take a look at the year 9/2/ 1807 for you when I am in town next and fighting fit!!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Ray, Not a favourable outcome, I am afraid, re the print outs you wanted. I did find the marriage of John Stephens and Ann Whitcombe both OTP married 9/2/1807! The witness were Mary Clarke and an indeciperable signature which looked like Geo. ?

I found this marriage using the 'old' micofiche reader but when it came to finding it on the new one, neither I nor the library assistant could find it to print out! I think my days of printing out Records have regretfully come to an end!! All the time the 'old' reader is available for look ups I will help when I can but other than that, I admit defeat! Beaten by modern technology!!

Sorry I was not able to provide the prints for the Ann Whitcombe marriages that you wanted.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thanks for trying, at least we now know the correct date & a possible witness - Geo ? something is intriguing wonder who ???

On the microfiche reader its sad news, as even the 'Staff' have problems it appears that the Research Centre bought a 'Lemon' !!
                    Not that funny though - someone had to pay for it, like us Tax payers. Just another example of Governments ignorance of
                    modern technology and IT projects.

Ray.

Comment

• Upstell at Anns Hill

Hi Adam - we have transcribed an index for Anns Hill Cemetery 1855-1953 and here are all of the UPSTELL and derivatives over the years:

Page No Entry No 1st name Surname Burial date
                      92 10,892 Mary UPSDELL June 09 1886
                      17 9383 Eliza UPSTALL Mar 13 1882
                      12 11,314 Frances UPSTELL July 22 1887
                      79 12,651 Israel UPSTELL Jan 27 1891
                      19 13,541 Agnes Grace UPSTELL Mar 18 1893
                      33 13,835 Hilda May UPSTELL Nov 22 1893
                      33 13,836 Edwin Albert UPSTELL Nov 22 1893

57 14,315 Edith Alice UPSTELL
                      Mar 09 1895
                      85 14,861 Victor Emanuel Robert UPSTELL
                      July 20 1896
                      17 15,566 Edward Oliver Ernest UPSTELL
                      Apr 07 1898

35 22,991 William George Jesse UPSTELL
                      Aug 09 1916
                      99 24,276 Emily UPSTELL
                      Dec 03 1919

165 25,587 William UPSTELL
                      Nov 8 1923
                      236 27,011 Ann UPSTILL
                      Feb 22 1928

117 29,683 Albert Leonard UPSTELL
                      Feb 23 1935
                      129 29,929 Alfred UPSTELL
                      Nov 6 1935
                      Hopw this helps
                      Linda & Tony Knight
                      Hampshire OPC Co-ordinators
                      Welcome to KnightRoots, an online Hampshire genealogical resource.

Originally posted by adamgullidge View Post
                      Hello. I am trying to find a few graves in the Gosport area. I would search myself but I no longer live in England and I'm not having much luck online either. Heres the info I do know but just not where they are buried and I would like to go and visit their graves on my next visit home.

John Hulse b.8th May 1888 in Liverpool - died 12th October 1966 in Gosport.
                      his wife Ada Mary Hulse (nee Upstell) b.1894 in Scotland - died 28th Feb 1947 in Gosport.
                      Their son Edgar John Hulse b.6th Apr 1920 in Birkenhead - died 30th Nov 1981 in Gosport

Alfred Upstell b.18 Feb 1854 in Gosport - died 11th Feb 1935 in Gosport
                      his wife Emily Upstell (nee Burbidge) b. 23rd March 1861 in Botley - died 26th Nov 1919 in Marylebone, London (died in London Hospital but lived in Gosport)

Isreal Upstell b.1808 in Exton, Hampshire - died 21st Jan 1891 Alverstoke
                      his wife Eliza Upstell (nee Knight) b.1818 in Hambledon - died 1882 Alverstoke

Edith Annie Hayter b.7th Jan 1887 in Kent - died 10th Sept 1964 in Gosport (think she's buried with her husband, James Roy Hayter died 1976 in Gosport)

ANY INFORMATION would be AMAZING!! I have all their birth records/marriages and deaths just where they are buried. But if you find any information you want to share please do!!

Many Thanks
                      Adam

Comment

• Hi, My Great Grandmother's was Alice Ann Elizabeth Garner, daughter of John Ferris Garner, she married Fleet Engineer Charles William Thorne they apparently lived in Saltash. I am currently researching my Grandfather Beresford Cazenove Thorne 1901-1988 who is their second child (First Child: Leslie Vivian Thorne 1900- 1942) although there appears to be some sort of mystery as to my Grandfather's origin. I would be very greatful for any information in regards to the family. Thankyou.

Comment

• Hello Eska, Having an interest in the GARNER family (see an earlier post and dialogue with Punch's Mum), I've had a look at some records on Ancestry; are you a member there? Seemingly Charles William THORNE was born in the last quarter of 1848 in Alverstoke and Baptised 11 Feb 1849, with parents Ann & Charles Peter THORNE (maybe Punch's Mum can confirm?). He married Catherine Day BORRETT(?) in Q3 1870 and they were living in Greenwich in 1871 with her parents. Alice was living with her parents in 1891, but is with Charles (were they married? - haven't found a record) in 1901. Alice was 20 years his junior. You will need to double check this, but does that help at all?

Comment

• My father did tell me that Charles was much older than Alice and I think that Catherine Day Borrett died around 1890. I haven't found proof of the marriage between Alice and Charles either or a definite date of Charles death, my father told me that Charles died when my Grandad was very young thus allowing him to sign up for war at the age of 15. Also what is confusing me greatly is a reference in regards to my grandfather on a site called Scott's end, a gentleman called Beresford Cazenove Scott who was a Royal Paymaster, has a reference to my Grandad in rogues gallery, I did contact the person who made the site but they couldn't remember where they got the information from. I often wondered why there was such a difference in the names of my Grandad and his brother as Leslie Vivian seemed rather plain compared to Beresford Cazenove.

Comment

• Hello, Eska.
                              It's worth noting that you're dealing with a navy family, here. Alverstoke is part of the Prtsmouth area which had a major navy presence. Saltash is on the easternmost edge of Cornwall: further east and you're over the Tamar into Plymouth & Devonport - another navy base.
                              There are a number of navy records available online. FindMyPast has a significant number of Devon records, especially parish register transcriptions and images, and including the Plymouth & Devonport set. The National Archives have issued a number of navy records - some of which are indexed via external sites such as FMP and Ancestry.

I have the name GARNER in my tree, but as a variant of GARDENER. Unusual names may be valid but rare - or could be mistranscriptions of something less unusual. Rare names are often mistranscribed!

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Having said all that, is there any connection with B C Thorne, who joined the RAF in 1917 as a boy entrant and was serving in WW2 and mentioned in despatches as a Warrant Officer in 1942? It might be worth seeing what your library service offers by way of online research material: ours gives access to the Times Digital Archive - which might throw up mentions?

C
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Hi, I would be grateful if you could look for Charles William Thorne 1849 he is my Great Grandfather who I believe was born in Gosport. If you do find him could you please let me know who his parents were, I am aware that his mother was Ann but not sure if his father was Charles Peter or Robert. Many thanks. Eska.

Comment

• B C Thorne is my Grandfather who I am also having trouble tracing. I am unsure why he was in the R.A.F but I have evidence to say that he went in to the R.F.C as an observer during some point after WW1. I have his log book form the middle east and I also know from pictures that during the WW2 he was stationed at R.A.F Fayid along with his wife and children and my father always spoke of his war time experience being more like being at a holiday camp due to my Grandad being an Officer. His brother Leslie Vivian Thorne was in Egypt at the same time but was in the Army as a Sergeant, he was killed on the 27th June 1942 and buried in Alexandria which is very odd.

Comment

• Eska, Will have a look for the baptism record for Charles William Thorne 1849 to try and confirm his fathers name for you. Will post on this thread to let you know one way or the other if I find his baptism.

Lesley.

Comment

• Eska

Can confirm that the father was Charles Peter. He was a Private in the Marines. I did manage to get a copy of the baptism record today, thanks to a helpful assistant. If you want me to scan it to you, Private Message me your e mail address.

Charles William was born 21 November 1848.

Lesley

Comment

• Hello Lesley ,
                                          Please when you are next in the Study Centre can look for the marriage of to Frank Frederick William LACEY to Jessie Louisa OLIVER Dec 1/4 1915 to confirm the fathers also witnesses, this will be a great help.

Thank you,
                                          Ann

Comment

Working...
                                          X