Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jenny77 View Post
    Hello Lesley,

I hope that you may be able to assist me please.

I am trying to locate details on Keziah Coffin, who so far seems to be a bit of an enigma. We do not know when she was born, but may have been around 1790, and we don't know where. My father believes that she may have married a man called John Godden in Alverstoke on 30/06/1816, although now has no idea why he thinks that. Please would it be possible to corroborate this, and provide any further details shown on the marriage record.

Also any details that you may be able to find on the marriage record of William Coffin & Eleanor Jane Cousins in Alverstoke in May 1877.

If you need any further info please let me know. Many thanks in anticipation.

Jenny
    "My father believes that she may have married a man called John Godden in Alverstoke on 30/06/1816, although now has no idea why he thinks that." - That's quite easy:
    Marriage 30 Jun 1816 Alverstoke, Hampshire: John GODDEN & Kezia COFFIN - https://familysearch.org - batch M07357-6
    It doesn't seem to show up on Knightroots - the Hampshire OPC.

Lesley may be able to help you by checking whether there's any more info on the original record - but you shouldn't be surprised if there isn't: the older parish register entires are often very sparse.

Family Search also has a possible baptism for a Kezia Coffin: 12 Mar 1793 at Bishop-Waltham, Hampshire, d/o James Coffin & Sarah (two transciptions: I03897-4 & K14669-1). I notice that the IGI (same thing) also has a baptism record for a George COFFIN, s/o Kezia COFFIN - 16 Jun 1816 Titchfield, Hampshire (batch I03385-3). That doesn't mean it's the same Kezia COFFIN of course!

Lesley will only be able to help you directly with the Alverstoke records. I was looking at https://www.familysearch.org/ and http://www.knightroots.co.uk/

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 24-03-13, 22:15.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Hello Christine,

Thank you for your reply, that's marvellous information. Clearly I have some more learning to do as I had searched in both the sites you mentioned and come up with nothing!

Comment

• Hi Jenny,

Will take a look at the Parish Records for you when I am in town next.

Like Christine says though, not much info to be gained from Parish Records of that date, never the less, will take a look...just in case!

Lesley

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny77 View Post
          Hello Christine,

Thank you for your reply, that's marvellous information. Clearly I have some more learning to do as I had searched in both the sites you mentioned and come up with nothing!
          The usual reason for not getting the hits is "TMI"! It's often better to put in less info, rather than more, and add in more only if you get too many hits.

Another mistake is to believe that all the records you've already found are absolutely accurate! People often embroidered the truth to suit circumstances and avoid embarrassment. Sometimes they just didn't know the facts, or didn't perceive accuracy as important. Ages are often adrift for these reasons - and there's always the timing of the point at which an age is recorded to be considered (censuses, mostly at approx 31 March mean that people will appear to have been born a year later than actual, if they were born anywhere in the year after the census cut-off day).

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Hi Jenny,

As expected, not much info on the Parish Record for the marrage of of Keziah Coffin to John Godden other than what you know.

The marriage was by banns with the consent of ? Stone. The witness was also the same ? Stone. Unfortunately, it was difficult to decipher the first name. The second witness was the Parish Clerk J. Gear.

Will check out the other marriage another day as the Study Centre was so busy today with the main library being closed. Just couldn't hardly get to the Microfiche without asking someone using the library free wifi to move and getting greeted with huffs and puffs!! Space was very limited!!! Luckily, the reopening of the Library is next Tuesday!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley
              You helped me out with some Paffords awhile ago and I am hoping you can again'
              I am researching all PAFFORD and PAFFARD names in Hampshire
              I need help with a marriage in Alverstoke, Family Search/ IGI has 2 different dates for it and I am hoping the parish register will have more information

Sarah Pafford
              marriage: 13 Feb 1809 OR 1810 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England
              spouse: Soloman Richards

If it is the right couple they were from Soberton so I am trying to find out why they got married in Alverstoke, so witness names etc. would be very helpful

thanks

Comment

• I'll be keeping an eye on the outcome of that request: I reckon that there must be some connection between PAFOOT (& variants) and PAFFORD/PAFFARD, especially as they're in much the same area, although I haven't actually got any with the name PAFF?RD so far.

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-04-13, 15:06.

Comment

• Hi Rach,

Will take a look for you as soon as I can. Please check back on this thread as I will let you know either way if I have had any luck!

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Rach

Hi Rach,

The wedding of Solomon Richard and Sarah Pafford was by Banns on 13/2/1810. They were both of this Parish and both signed with an X.

Witnesses were Ann (? looks like) Yates/Gates? and John Gear who I know by now to be a regular witness on Marriage records!!

Lesley

Comment

• Marriage 1812 Bissett/Perkin

Hi Lesley
                      I had an email some time ago from you but I didn't progress. However I was wondering if you could look up the marriage in 1812 at Alverstoke of William Bissett and Susanna Perkin.

Information has come to light that Susanna may have been married/widowed before and that this was a 2nd marriage.

I know that information was very limited on these early marriage entries but I was wondering if you could check to see if she is shown as Widow or Spinster.

I have been looking under Perkin as her maiden name but I now think Perkin was a previous married name and this information would be extremely helpful. Don't suppose there is a chance of a copy is there?

Look forward to hearing from you again.
                      Barbara

Comment

• Thanks Lesley, I really appreciate your help, frustrating as neither should be of that parish Rach

Comment

• Hi Barbara,

Will see what I can find for you.

Obviously if the Parish Record is too feint it won't be worth printing it! There is talk of a new 'state of the art' fiche reader and digital printer but I will beleive it when I see it!!

Don't forget to check back on the thread for a reply!

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for BDrax

Hi Barbara.

Have got you a copy of the Parish Record for the marriage of William Bissett and Susanah Perkin.

There is no mention of their marital status..

If you would PM me your private e mail address I will scan it through to you.

Lesley

Comment

• Scan has been sent to your private e mail address Barbara.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley,

Just wanted to say thank you for this. Sorry for the delay but we have been in Tenerife on holiday!

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                                Hi Jenny,

As expected, not much info on the Parish Record for the marrage of of Keziah Coffin to John Godden other than what you know.

The marriage was by banns with the consent of ? Stone. The witness was also the same ? Stone. Unfortunately, it was difficult to decipher the first name. The second witness was the Parish Clerk J. Gear.

Will check out the other marriage another day as the Study Centre was so busy today with the main library being closed. Just couldn't hardly get to the Microfiche without asking someone using the library free wifi to move and getting greeted with huffs and puffs!! Space was very limited!!! Luckily, the reopening of the Library is next Tuesday!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Jenny,

Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Lucky you.

Are you still wanting the other look up of William Coffin and Eleanor Cousins marriage in 1877?

Won't be until later next week though now.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley, Trying to find a birth record for my 3G Grandmother, Hester Augusta Toon. All censuses say Gosport, although a distant relative says he thinks she was christened in Southampton. I have found no record for either location. I think she was born in 1811 (based on census). I think her parents were John Griffiths Toon and his wife Charlotte. If this is correct all other siblings seem to be born/baptised in Gosport.

Any help gratefully received

Comment

• Hi KevinB - a little more information would be very helpful.

As Hester is your 3x g g'mother, she married. As she is a direct ancestor I presume you have a copy of the record. What is the father's name and occupation stated on her marriage record? Who did she marry?

The poss. siblings you refer to may be Alfred bap 05 May 1819 and Henry bap 10 May 1824 at Holy Trinity, Gosport. However, more is required to establish whether this is the same family as Hester's

Comment

• Hi KevinB. Bertie is right....not much to go on in your post.
                                        I see from other Family History sites that you have been searching for some time for this person with out much luck! I assume that it is your posts anyway.

Have checked out the Census and like you say, most of the time she claims to be born in Gosport apart from the one year it says Southampton! I assume you have found her death in Edmonton v 3a Page171? Sept.1891

I will check the Baptism Parish Records for you but am not holding out much hope. Please check back on this site as I will let you know the outcome one way or another.

Lesley
                                        Last edited by Punchs mum; 18-05-13, 08:15.

Comment

• Hi Bertie - She married George Sparks in March 1837 - so I can't get a marriage certificate and the parish register doesn't give father's name. I have Alfred and Henry as siblings (as well as John Albert Robert - 1809; Charlotte - 1817; Mary - 1823; and Maria - 1829). A John Toon (who I think is John Albert Robert's son) is shown as Hester's niece in the 1861 census. His profession is Cabinet Maker which ties in with both John Albert Robert and John Griffiths Toon who were also cabinet makers.

Comment

Working...
                                          X