Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darksecretz
    replied
    I've been sitting playing about with Irish naming patterns.... and I'm still not sure I'm anymore further on!

It didn't hit me until I sat looking at the names of their 10 children.. [they had 13 but I have only the names for 10] I suspect I'll need to find the missing ones before it might make more sense?

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    that's great - I feel there is always some pass it forward in family tree, help can't always be repaid.
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Good news. Lovely for her to have the opportunity for further research.

Vera
    Yep I got a warm fuzzy feeling.. so lovely to be able to help.

Though I am finding contacting Kates extended family just don't want to know.... Perhaps it's me?

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Good news. Lovely for her to have the opportunity for further research.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    that's great - I feel there is always some pass it forward in family tree, help can't always be repaid.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Just an update. Checked out the hotspot for the Irish community in Marylebone. Poor enumerator. He noted in the census form a message to Registrar that he should be aware of the difficulties of one person assigned to the area as the forms had not been completed - were they ever? - and that not only did he not have a table to use, there wasn't even a chair. It took him 2 weeks to complete and even then he missed those at the back. And I didn't find one Larkin in the area.

Still looking at the NA. Lots of possibilities for William but you would need to take your bed to wade through them if you visit. Not come across any 1860 attestations for the 59th.

Vera
    Wow! that must have been horrible for the enumerator.

I had been contacted by a lady whose grandmother was Alice Adele TRANSFIELD. [remember them?] my reply went as follows:

Flora Druscilla Brown was the daughter of William Atwood Brown and Jane Larkin/s. Jane Larkin/s married Thomas E Transfield. I have both Larkin/s and Browns in my tree and was attempting to see where/how they connected. I haven't found a connection as of yet. I do have the birth PDF of Flora should you wish a copy of it.

she had never been able to find any details of Jane Larkins/Transfield

I found the death details for Jane Transfield Brown

Name: Jane Transfield Brown
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1833
    Registration Year: 1871
    Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Age at Death: 38
    Registration District: Kensington
    Inferred County: London
    Volume: 1a
    Page: 104

She ordered the cert and it is her relation!.. she was over the moon with it and couldn't thank me enough... to me it's just what you do, find info and pass it on.

this new information has opened up a whole new avenue for her to research, so whilst we might not be related we have all helped someone else on their family quest.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Just an update. Checked out the hotspot for the Irish community in Marylebone. Poor enumerator. He noted in the census form a message to Registrar that he should be aware of the difficulties of one person assigned to the area as the forms had not been completed - were they ever? - and that not only did he not have a table to use, there wasn't even a chair. It took him 2 weeks to complete and even then he missed those at the back. And I didn't find one Larkin in the area.

Still looking at the NA. Lots of possibilities for William but you would need to take your bed to wade through them if you visit. Not come across any 1860 attestations for the 59th.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

fat lot of good THAT did.. sighs..... not in there anyway. I am sure it was in a brown envelope but it must have been at least A4 in size as the actual scans are A3 and massive... I found the ones for William Shelton [my other Gt grandads brother] I distinctly remember finding them IN the cabinet the last time I was in there. I get so cross with myself too...
    I know how you feel, I spent ages looking for something at weekend, gave up and then it was there right under my nose!

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied

It isn't on my computer anywhere!.. I have gone through files that are years old and I can't spot it. I can see and have multiple copies of the one where he is said to be unfit [with the coat of arms on dated 2nd Dec 1870] but not the actual one where he signed up in the first place Nov 1860! I'm going to have to go looking in my filing cabinet... which fills me with dread and I know that I'll have to do that otherwise I won't rest!
    fat lot of good THAT did.. sighs..... not in there anyway. I am sure it was in a brown envelope but it must have been at least A4 in size as the actual scans are A3 and massive... I found the ones for William Shelton [my other Gt grandads brother] I distinctly remember finding them IN the cabinet the last time I was in there. I get so cross with myself too...

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    you need to stop looking then you will find it
    It isn't on my computer anywhere!.. I have gone through files that are years old and I can't spot it. I can see and have multiple copies of the one where he is said to be unfit [with the coat of arms on dated 2nd Dec 1870] but not the actual one where he signed up in the first place Nov 1860! I'm going to have to go looking in my filing cabinet... which fills me with dread and I know that I'll have to do that otherwise I won't rest!

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    you need to stop looking then you will find it

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied

I can't bloody find it... been looking for an age too.. I'm sure it was on his attestation paper..
    621 keeps popping into my head but I'm not sure it's that either.. I do have a paper copy and I think that is in my filing cabinet, which is a mare to get to atm.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied

if you know the number I can search on fmp, it might bring something up, I did try 6371 - wasn't sure what that number was on the document.
    I can't bloody find it... been looking for an age too.. I'm sure it was on his attestation paper..

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied

as a side note he was in the 59th foot regt from Nov 1860 to Jan 1864 [I'm sure that I have his other regt number though I can't seem to find it! am sure it's only 3 digits too]
    if you know the number I can search on fmp, it might bring something up, I did try 6371 - wasn't sure what that number was on the document.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    known addresses in London (amended)
    20 Nov 1860 - William joins army, Grenadier Reg Of Guards service no 1829​​​​​​
    31 Oct 1865 - St Stephen, Paddington, England both living at 38 Pickering Place (1st marriage)
    1866 - Kates birth - she says Bayswater on one census
    1868 Sept - Adalines birth address: 26 Camden Place, Notting Hill.
    1869 March Adalines Baptism 4 Virginia Place, Notting Hill (Cul-de-sac off Penzance Place which no longer exists)
    1869 - Windsor Barracks [wm] and Kensington for Ann second marriage The Royal Chapel, [in the Tower of London] [Whitechapel Reg Dist]
    1870 Sept - William Henrys birth address is Victoria model dwellings, Francis Street, Westminster; Baptism Horseferry Road Westminster (November)

1871 census in Nottingham

If the list of quarters is correct it would mean that William was in Dublin from 4 March 68 to 3 March 69 when he was in Chelsea for 6 months, then Windsor Barracks in Sept (I have not noted month of marriage) - that sort of fits with this time line
    as a side note he was in the 59th foot regt from Nov 1860 to Jan 1864 [I'm sure that I have his other regt number though I can't seem to find it! am sure it's only 3 digits too]

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    known addresses in London (amended)
    20 Nov 1860 - William joins army, Grenadier Reg Of Guards service no 1829​​​​​​
    31 Oct 1865 - St Stephen, Paddington, England both living at 38 Pickering Place (1st marriage)
    1866 - Kates birth - she says Bayswater on one census
    1868 Sept - Adalines birth address: 26 Camden Place, Notting Hill.
    1869 March Adalines Baptism 4 Virginia Place, Notting Hill (Cul-de-sac off Penzance Place which no longer exists)
    1869 - Windsor Barracks [wm] and Kensington for Ann second marriage The Royal Chapel, [in the Tower of London] [Whitechapel Reg Dist]
    1870 Sept - William Henrys birth address is Victoria model dwellings, Francis Street, Westminster; Baptism Horseferry Road Westminster (November)

1871 census in Nottingham

If the list of quarters is correct it would mean that William was in Dublin from 4 March 68 to 3 March 69 when he was in Chelsea for 6 months, then Windsor Barracks in Sept (I have not noted month of marriage) - that sort of fits with this time line

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied

it def sounds like it was worth a mention - like you say that they approved!

Oh - didn't know I need to do more - have 'shared' now, not done before either
    Brill thanks, though like you say not anything new, just confirming what we already knew.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied

have requested access.. never done that before.

Vera, I thought it said Protestant too....

Carolyn would that indicate that this time he did have permission to marry?
    it def sounds like it was worth a mention - like you say that they approved!

Oh - didn't know I need to do more - have 'shared' now, not done before either
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-08-20, 12:02.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied

ahh yes - as soon as I looked head said prostitute, then when I looked closely it made no sense, should have kept that first thought from a glance.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    I have put download here - it is massive! I think that will work.

have requested access.. never done that before.

Vera, I thought it said Protestant too....

Carolyn would that indicate that this time he did have permission to marry?

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied

Looks like Protestant to me

Vera
    ahh yes - as soon as I looked head said prostitute, then when I looked closely it made no sense, should have kept that first thought from a glance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X