Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    I have no idea if this will help - but in one of those books it has this:
    image_20466.jpg

do you know what [O.W.] means ?

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

I cannot work our what happened during the 1867 - 69. Was it some living out allowance if in fact he did. He got a ? increase in good conduct payment from 1868. Then promotion to Corporal before discharge. I think it refers to his pay prior to 2 Dec 1867when he also received good conduct pay

Vera
    If I remember rightly he was a Chelsea out pensioner...

Transferred private 1 feb 64 - 2 dec 67

Residing London for 13? yrs

352 days 2 dec 1867 Private 3 dec 1867 - 13 April 1869

GC Pay @ 2d 20 Nov 1868

Promoted corporal 14 April 1869 - 21 dec 1870
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-08-20, 17:30.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    I have no idea what it means either, I was thinking that you would all go, as there were others moving in. But maybe they were huge and always some dorms left?

Just thought it was worth a post as I found it

on the image I posted on 373 I actually can't read what it says he did in 67 with regard to promotions/reductions. He was promoted in 69 - is this something they bumped him up to be ready for retirement maybe?

The FMP record (not pension- I have not found that) is on here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WaDJjHbD2GJ6uJBz6

It was a while back
    I cannot work our what happened during the 1867 - 69. Was it some living out allowance if in fact he did. He got a ? increase in good conduct payment from 1868. Then promotion to Corporal before discharge. I think it refers to his pay prior to 2 Dec 1867when he also received good conduct pay

Vera

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    I have been searching for the FMP record (not that it was very informative) and cant find it searching direct on FMP. I was hoping Carolyn would be able to magic it up somehow so you could see it. It was a link from NA. Cant imagine where FMP have put it,

Maybe, just maybe the NA records will hold some info about William's wife and children especially Katie.

Nice picture Carolyn. Apparently they hold music sessions in the Guards Chapel at lunchtimes. I would like to listen to that. Its so sad that William died so young. I gather he had heart failure. His description when discharged is of such a 'fit' fellow. Not many 6 footers around way back in the day. I digress, again

Vera

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied

I'm trying to work out what this means. It says 'quarters'. So presumably whole of the 3rd Batt there with other Batts in London (thinking aloud) but not on Williams Army Record.

Have found some more N.A. Army records refs which may include ref to William + one pension record which can be seen on FMP. Will post links

Vera
    I have no idea what it means either, I was thinking that you would all go, as there were others moving in. But maybe they were huge and always some dorms left?

Just thought it was worth a post as I found it

on the image I posted on 373 I actually can't read what it says he did in 67 with regard to promotions/reductions. He was promoted in 69 - is this something they bumped him up to be ready for retirement maybe?

The FMP record (not pension- I have not found that) is on here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WaDJjHbD2GJ6uJBz6

It was a while back
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-08-20, 16:04.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I think this is the image:
    https://imgc.artprintimages.com/img/...kground=fbfbfb

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied

I'm trying to work out what this means. It says 'quarters'. So presumably whole of the 3rd Batt there with other Batts in London (thinking aloud) but not on Williams Army Record.

Just done a Google. There is an item re a photographic print of the Fifes and Drums of the Grenadier Guards 3rd batt at Beggarbush Barracks, Dublin 1868. Can't get the picture up on my screen. So maybe not all the 3rd Batt in Dublin. Will post link.

Have found some more N.A. Army records refs which may include ref to William + one pension record which can be seen on FMP. Will post links

Vera
    for some reason that link is just going to a blank page.. [The fifes and drum link that is]

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied

Just done a Google. There is an item re a photographic print of the Fifes and Drums of the Grenadier Guards 3rd batt at Beggarbush Barracks, Dublin 1868. Can't get the picture up on my screen. So maybe not all the 3rd Batt in Dublin. Will post link.

Vera
    Anything you post with FMP links Vera I can't see as I don't subscribe to it.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    image_20466.jpg

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    I kind of feel in those days you would have to go, but have no evidence of this. Just that life was tough, even in the army.

Do you think there are records that you have not got, when did you contact them last, wonder if they might have changed?
    I have tried over the years a few times and to be fair they were nothing short of 'snotty' in their replies!

The only thing that I can see 'might' glean some info is the pension records that I can't bloody well get at the moment cos they have suspended due to covid!

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I kind of feel in those days you would have to go, but have no evidence of this. Just that life was tough, even in the army.

Do you think there are records that you have not got, when did you contact them last, wonder if they might have changed?

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Thanks Carolyn, I have the copy of his army records.

But I can't see anywhere where it says he even went to Ireland in them. I do have paper copies of his records that a gentleman found for me [as the GG refused point blank to offer any sort of help in locating his records!]
    I really don't know if what when and why, but I do know he was retired due to being medically unfit the doctor stated that he would 'only be able to do very light work'..and he was even was doubtful if he'd be able to do that. So whether he'd be able to even go to somewhere like Ireland with the regiment I just don't see it somehow.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    made mention of Ireland here

battalion1869.JPG

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    image_20466.jpg
    ​​​​​​​

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-08-20, 18:44.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Thought it might be useful to have a look through this - but really not much there!

william army.JPG
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-08-20, 16:23.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    oooh thankyou. my head is buzzing at the mo too..lots to digest

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

I meant to ask you Vera do you know where Windsor Barracks were? [I guess the obvs answer is Windsor] but would he be able to marry @ Royal Chapel if he were based at windsor barracks? [3rd Batt Gren Guards 1869.] were there WB in Kensington?
    The Grenadier Guards barracks would have been the Victoria Barracks, quarter of a mile South of Windsor Castle.

Can't say for sure but would say that as a member of the Household Division, William and Ann would have been eligible to marry in the Guards Chapel, Westminster.

Vera
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 28-08-20, 13:32.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I remember reading about the guards for ScottyHutch when he was looking for the weavers, just searched it was the Coldstream!

But I posted a link to lots of books that have the 'diary' of them. Found a book on the Grenadiers here:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...ew=1up&seq=375

not read yet
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-08-20, 16:24.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied

All the census are for Westminster not Kensington although that doesn't mean they are not potential for Ann b 1842 The addresses are in the St James area fairly close to the Wellington Barracks.

Vera
    I meant to ask you Vera do you know where Windsor Barracks were? [I guess the obvs answer is Windsor] but would he be able to marry @ Royal Chapel if he were base at windsor barracks? [3rd Batt Gren Guards 1869.] were there WB in Kensington?
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 28-08-20, 13:32.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    I have quite a few little family groups now... it's just trying to keep track of what I have where!..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X