No announcement yet.

Who was Mrs Carroll McConnell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES,YES, YES . A real mangle of names, but the bride was born in Brighton, England, daughter of William Henry Boullin & Elizabelle Oshris.
    No wonder I never found them on family search when l looked for children of a Boulter & Osbourne combination!

Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      Here is Irenes Marriage, different mother. Louise Lapalm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ci6L87prFaC3HcUy7
      Just checking you saw this and have downloaded it?

the newspapers have offered a really good result, all those names - should be able to tie them all together - even if a bit of a puzzle! It is soo annoying that women are not allowed to use their names once married.

there is a 1915 census and she is with parents in Henrietta street

Detail Source
      Name: Alice W Meagher
      Birth Year: abt 1901
      Birth Place: United States
      Residence Place: Rochester Ward 14, Monroe
      Relationship: Daughter
      Color or Race: White
      Number of years in US: 14
      Assembly District: 04
      House Number: 206
      Line Number: 14
      Page number: 24
      Household Members (Name) Age Relationship
      James Meagher 49 Head
      Alice A Meagher 42 Wife
      Fredick L Meagher 17 Son
      Alice W Meagher 14 Daughter
      Emma E Meagher 8 Daughter
      George Cousens 28 Lodger
      Walter Cook 24 Lodger​
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you, Carolyn.
        I saw the transcript on family search, but can't download the images for the "in between" returns. I will catch up on those once I renew my Ancestry sub.
        (I decided to upgrade my FMP to WW which was fairly cheap as I had about 6 months left, giving me full access to 1921 and also to both Canada & USA census and the few Oz bits that are on there. That is enough to keep me busy for some time to come )

I downloaded Irene's marriage last night, which made me think about the different mother and the possibility of an earlier marriage for James. That led me to searching Canada records and finding him (widowed) and Irene in the household of his parents. I'm now quite exhausted physically, as well as mentally
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 27-02-23, 15:36.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Re the Hibbits mentioned in post 20 - I couldn’t clip this newspaper article re Winifred’s marriage but am pasting in the OCR reading from
          The Morning Call from Allentown, Pennsylvania · Sat 2 Oct 1926 page 8

BETHLEHEM GIRL BRIDE TODAY IN ROCHESTER Miss Winifred Meagher. niece of Mr. and Mrs. Frank H. Hibbits, of East Church street. Bethlehem, and Thomas G. Foulkes, of Rochester, N. Y will be married in the latter city, in St. Thomas church, today. The pastor. Rev. Dr. Sykes, will perrorm the ceremony. Miss Eleanor Meagher, a sister of the bride, will be maid of honor, and William Foulkes, brother of the groom, will be best man. The ceremony will be a quiet one and will be witnessed only by the members of the Immediate families of the couple. After a wedding trip through the White Mountains, they will reside at 2 East Market street, Bethlehem.

Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

here is the marriage

Name: Emma W Boulter
            Marriage Date: 16 Mar 1899
            Marriage Place: Manhattan, New York, USA
            Spouse: Frank N Hibbits
            Certificate Number: 4292​
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

here is the record of the arrival:
              Willm Boulter
              abt 1842 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King
              Ann E Boulter
              abt 1842 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King
              Mary Boulter
              abt 1863 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King
              Emma Boulter
              abt 1869 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King
              Alice Boulter
              abt 1873 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King
              Ernest Boulter
              abt 1875 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King
              Herbert Boulter
              abt 1878 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King
              Henry Boulter
              abt 1880 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King
              Ellen Boulter
              abt 1883 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King
              Geo Boulter
              abt 1870 10 May 1884 Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada London, England Ocean King​
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you Carolyn.

I think Geo 1870 must be Thomas William/William Thomas 1870.He began as a cartman, then branched out into furniture removals and then into trucks. I believe that branch of the family now operate a fleet of large trucks from the same area of NY state. The place Webster comes to mind.

There was an older daughter Ann (born 1860) who had married in London in 1882 and she and her husband stayed in England. They sailed from Liverpool to NY in 1890, settled firstly in Ohio; then moved on to NY state.
                I had thought that daughter Mary had also stayed in England, but obviously not having read your post. That will have to be my next task!

I haven't looked at this line for a long time and I am amazed at how much more information is now online. My 6xgt grandfather was married twice. The eldest son from the first marriage married a Quaker - her family were middle class and in trade. William Henry was descended from this line.
                I am descended from the second marriage - we are mainly poor ag labs!
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

yes there does seem to be loads of US records in the area you are looking. there is also a trip from Bermuda of mother and daughter Alice and Eleanor in 1937.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    yes there does seem to be loads of US records in the area you are looking. there is also a trip from Bermuda of mother and daughter Alice and Eleanor in 1937.
                    Thanks for that, Carolyn. This family certainly liked their travel - a younger bother of William Henry also emigrated to the USA in 1888 and eventually settled in Chicago. Their mother died at Bridgend in 1891 and the following year their father went out to America to visit them. Unfortunately he contracted pneumonia, died and was buried in Rochester NY. There were five other siblings; one daughter had married and gone to Australia in 1878 but the other four married and raised families in South Wales.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

amazing how they travelled, no internet or even many travel books to know what to expect. It looks as though they were not in Canada for long.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Too early for border crossing records. I have a memo saying arrived in Canada in May 1884, moved on to Rochester NY in 1885 - BUT doesn't state what evidence was found I think it was based on an oral account related by William/Thomas?? the carter. I will have to see if I can find my original jottings.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think William Henry remarried Isabella.

I have added a few more things here that maybe yours https://photos.app.goo.gl/W1itwdvA721MhLgw7

There is a William H Boulter says married living with Percy Swelt and Marie Swelt and he is down as Uncle

Name: Wm H Boulter
                          Birth Year: abt 1841
                          Birth Place: England
                          Residence Place: Rochester Ward 11, Monroe
                          Relationship: Uncle
                          Color or Race: White
                          Number of years in US: 36
                          Assembly District: 05
                          House Number: 24
                          Line Number: 31
                          Page number: 05​
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-02-23, 14:52.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, William married Isabella and then he married for a third time!! - "on 8 Sep 1922 he married Georgia C Clove, a 37 year old spinster in Friedericksburg, Virginia." (my old notes) He would have been 81 - don't know whether or not his bride knew the truth! I don't think I ever got to the bottom of the Swelts - I think I thought they were connections through the second marriage.

His first wife Ann Elizabeth (nee Osbourne) died of Chronic Insanity at Monroe Asylum. She was 49 years old. She was buried in Mount Hope Cemetery Rochester on 6 August 1890.

Thank you for all the photo treasures you've unearthed; I do have a studio portrait of both WH and his wife, but will comb carefully through the pages to see if there are any blood connections with the Boulter gang. I don't recognise the name of the compiler as anyone I'e had contact with in the past.

ETA - just found the transcript of the marriage to Georgia - he admitted to being 75.
                            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-02-23, 15:25.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

and he seemed to be all over the place, with Isabella in Ohio, she seems to be in directories as a confectioner. Seems burials in Rochester was the done thing regardless of where death occurred.

so death cert is right with Georgia then
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

There is an interesting grave stone in Mount Hope cemetery https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...zabeth-boulter

Ann E was buried first, then William's father who went to visit and died. Then Isabella - note the dtaes for William, awaiting completion, which never happened!
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Carolyn, did you come across anything indicating the surname of Isabella before the marriage to WH? I have nothing about her previous life. I did find a transcript of the marriage to Georgia.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

there is an index that has this. I am assuming both names are hers. no images of certs though

Name: William H Boulter
                                    Marriage Date: 27 Jun 1894
                                    Marriage Place: Flushing, New York, USA
                                    Certificate Number: 11443
                                    Records Sharing Certificate Number:
                                    Name
                                    Isabell Thorpe
                                    William H Boulter
                                    Isabell Beardow​
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you. Carolyn. I really appreciate your efforts on my behalf. Isn't it frustrating when they only give you a part of the information?
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

deleted -repeat post
                                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-02-23, 23:12.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Christine, thankyou for post 24.
                                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                          X