Who was Mrs Carroll McConnell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Mrs Carroll McConnell?

Reginald Meagher (born 1895 in Rochester, Monroe Co, NY) died 1 May 1954 at Bath, Steuben Co, NY. A newspaper reported that he was survived by three sisters: Mrs. Carroll McConnell and Mrs. Thomas Foulkes of Bethlehem, Pa., and Eleanor of Philadelphia.
    Eleanor (born 1907) was the youngest sibling, never married and worked at the oncologic hospital in Philadelphia, firstly as a nurse and then as a dietitian. Mrs Thomas Foulkes was formerly Winifred Alice Meagher (born 1901) who married Thomas Foulkes in 1926.
    The only other sister I know of was Della Meagher, born Rochester NY in 1889. However, apart from a record of the birth, I can find no other reference to her - no census appearance 1900 or later. So, did she become Mrs Carroll McConnell? I realise that, as Della was born in 1889, IF she did marry Mr McConnell it could have been a second marriage. So, can anyone shine a light on either Mr McConnell or Della Meagher please?
    Just to further muddy the waters, the parents had a penchant for giving several of their children two forenames and then using just one e.g Winifred Alice has sometimes been Winifred, but mainly Alice, Eleanor Emma has mainly been Ellen/Eleanor but occasionally Emma.(At first I thought the family had had two sets of twins!) So, as I only have the one reference to Della, she could be hiding under another forename

All suggestions welcome!​
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I have no US skills at all, but a quick look on ancestry there are several trees, are the parents James Meagher and Alice Ada Boulter?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Yes, Carolyn.
      Do any of them have a husband for Della or another daughter marrying Carroll McConnell?
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

None of them have a Della that I can see. Lots have an Irene E who is with grandparent William and Katherine in 1900.

the newspaper article is on one, and parents grave stone.

will have a proper look around and see if anything pops out now I know I have the right parents.

Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Is there an Anna also - I think she is a grandchild too 7 years older than Irene. there is half a newspaper article on the death of the grandfather - literally chopped in half lengthways, so can't really decide.
          Newspapers.com - Democrat and Chronicle - 28 Nov 1906 - Page 15

Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

Here is Irenes Marriage, different mother. Louise Lapalm

Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

I have found Irene with the grandparents in 1900, but I don't think she is from the right parents. The census return gives Canada (English ) across the board for nativity. Della's birth registration was at Rochester (NY state) her father was from Canada and her mother from Wales. The birth registration does not include a middle initial.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

think posts have crossed - you can see Irene's marriage with different mother

there is this for https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...red-a.-foulkes Winifred, the 'tree' submitted is not same as yours, could be wrong
                this might be correct - don't have access to newspapers
                U.S., Newspapers.com™ Obituary Index, 1800s-current Source info
                Birth, Marriage & Death
                Quick compare

Name Winifred A. Foulkes Different
                Birth abt 1902 Different
                Death 11 Mar 1971 New
                Residence 1808 Sycamore St., Bethlehem New
                Spouse Thomas Foulkes​
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-02-23, 17:14.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  Is there an Anna also - I think she is a grandchild too 7 years older than Irene. there is half a newspaper article on the death of the grandfather - literally chopped in half lengthways, so can't really decide.
                  Newspapers.com - Democrat and Chronicle - 28 Nov 1906 - Page 15

That child would have been too early for Della's parents. Mother Alice was brought up in Wales: her parents and some of her siblings claim not to have emigrated until 1884/85 and they went to Canada first. I do wonder if Alice met her husband in Canada as he claims to be of Canadian heritage. Haven't found a marriage yet. At least two of Alice's siblings remained in England, although one of them, plus husband, later joined them.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

you need Newspapers.com...this is all that you can get out of ancestry, will have to wait for another free weekend

Detail Source
                    Name: Irene snier McConnell Siller
                    Death Age: 89
                    Birth Date: abt 1890
                    Death Date: 28 Jan 1979
                    Obituary Date: 31 Jan 1979
                    Obituary Place: Rochester, New York, USA
                    Newspaper Title: Democrat and Chronicle
                    Child:
                    Lawrence McConnell
                    Doris McConnell
                    Siblings:
                    Eleanor Meagher
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-02-23, 17:20.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I assume Eleanor only sibling alive then
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

in 1950 there is an Irene McConnell with a Carroll N right age in Rochester Monroe
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

I have the affidavit for the marriage lic 1 Oct 1926 recording that Winifred A Meagher was to marry Thomas Griffiths Foulkes. It adds that Alice was born England and her parents were James Meagher and Alice Boulter.
                          I haven't looked to see what happened to Alice post 1950 census, at which time both she and Thomas still resided in Bethlehem Pennsylvania.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Sorry, we keep crossing posts!

There was a Carroll McConnell in Rochester, who was a contemporary of Della. He married a Charry McBride in 1909. Charry died in 1947 and may have married again, but not to Della, as far as I can see.
                            It is quite possible that there were other Meagher siblings whom I'm not aware of. USA research varies from state to state - I find it very hit and miss! I find familysearch quite good, especially once I'd discovered 1950 census!!!!
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thank you for all your help. Carolyn. I have to go off now for a while. I'll have a play around for an IRENE Meagher.
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

this is the marriage:
                                Name: Irene Meagher
                                Marriage Date: 11 Feb 1950
                                Marriage Place: Rochester, New York, USA
                                Certificate Number: 3283
                                Records Sharing Certificate Number:
                                Name
                                Irene Meagher
                                Carroll Mcconnell
                                Irene Siller​
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

JIY - I have clipped the obituary for Reginald Meagher which you refer to in post 1 Plus another one I found for him - turns out there was also a surviving brother F Leo Meagher - did you know about him? - as well as the three surviving sisters.
                                  https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1197...james-meagher/
                                  https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1197...ald-j-meagher/

Also found obit for his mother Alice, 1953 plus the two married sisters, in 1971 and 1979, plus 2 different obits for F Leo Meagher who died 1969.
                                  Can’t find anything for Eleanor, but she must have died after 1979 when her last surviving sister dies.
                                  https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1197...alice-meagher/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1197...f-leo-meagher/
                                  https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1197...f-leo-meagher/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1197...a-foulkes-nee/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1197...ler-mcconnell/

Janet - please could you save any of the clips you wish to keep, and let me know when you have done so, as I’d then like to delete them from my newspapers.com clippings.

Christine

Last edited by Karamazov; 26-02-23, 20:42.
                                  Researching:
                                  HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Carolyn, that marriage a brilliant find. Thank you for all your help.

Also thanks to Christine for the newspaper clippings of deaths and funeral arrangements.

So, Mrs Carroll McConnell turned out to be Irene! Perhaps Della died in infancy. I have found no church event records for this family, nor much in the way of "early" deaths for Rochester. Researching USA family history is a very different ball game for me!
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1891 - Irene and her father were recorded in Ontario Canada at the home of William's parents and siblings. James was widowed. Irene's mother, Harriet Louise, died in Ontario in 1890.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        think posts have crossed - you can see Irene's marriage with different mother

there is this for https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...red-a.-foulkes Winifred, the 'tree' submitted is not same as yours, could be wrong
                                        this might be correct - don't have access to newspapers
                                        U.S., Newspapers.com™ Obituary Index, 1800s-current Source info
                                        Birth, Marriage & Death
                                        Quick compare

Name Winifred A. Foulkes Different
                                        Birth abt 1902 Different
                                        Death 11 Mar 1971 New
                                        Residence 1808 Sycamore St., Bethlehem New
                                        Spouse Thomas Foulkes​
                                        I can't find Alice in the parental home in Rochester in either 1910 or 1920 census. BUT I can find returns for a Winifred in Bethlehem Pennsylvania in both years. In 1910 she was with Harry & Sophia Foster and their daughter, recorded as niece. Living in the neighbouring property was a family named HIBBITT - Frank & Emma, with a cook and a servant. Emma Hibbitt was born in England about 1872.
                                        In 1920 Winifred was again recorded in Bethlehem, but living with the Hibbitts, and declared to be THEIR niece!

Winifred Alice's mother Alice was the daughter of William Henry Boulter and Elizabeth Ann Osbourne. They had a large family, including a daughter EMMA, born in Brighton c1869. I had pencilled in Emma as one of the children remaining in England, and had provisionally found her a possible husband, but I'm now thinking that she emigrated with the bulk of the family. I will have to see if I can find a marriage for Emma Boulter & Frank Hibbitt.
                                        This would tie in with the find a grave link that Carolyn posted, although I think the tree holder has attributed Winifred with the "wrong" mother!
                                        Emma and Frank Hibbitt seem to have been childless, so perhaps they were happy to help out with Alice's children?? Alice's family certainly seem to have had connections with PA - lots of comings and goings and youngest child Eleanor went to live in Philadelphia. Winifred attended a private school in 1920 - perhaps the Hibbitts helped out with the fees?????
                                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 27-02-23, 14:15.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X