Gretna green wedding causing issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to look GallowayLass

and where is he indeed! I have only been able to find his name on the marriage certificate- that's it!
    Queenbee

Comment

I see from your post Family History Memorabilia that there are Calvers in Elizabeth’s family. Have you ever entered as much as you know about her and the Lockley family from UK censuses on the Lost Cousins website?
      You could be related to Peter Calver who runs the site. It’s worth a go if you haven’t already as his site highlights people who have entered the same names and details on censuses as others have and lets researchers contact each other.

Comment

Elizabeth was from Eye in Suffolk not from Scotland, not sure where Scotland has come from? is it from the possible 1851 census?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

A bit of a long shot, but the marriage says Anthony resided in Maryport, Cumberland, which is a coastal town overlooking the Irish Sea.

FmP's record set Ireland Merchant Navy Crew Lists has an 1866 record of an Anthony Lockey aged 41 (born c1825) of Waterford, Ireland, aboard the ship Gipsy. Also on the same ship in 1875. It looks like it sailed regularly between Waterford & Bristol, and Waterford & Liverpool.

Other records include an 1853 Seamans Ticket for Anthony Locky of Waterford, aged 28 (born c1826), and records under the surname Lackey that look likely to be him.

He died in Waterford in 1893

Comment

Just checking the papers, and there are records of the ship Gipsy being around Maryport, for example: Dublin Daily Express 17 Nov 1855 under the heading Entered Inwards Coastwise' "Gipsy, Harrington".

Harrington is about 8 miles along the coast from Maryport.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
              A bit of a long shot, but the marriage says Anthony resided in Maryport, Cumberland, which is a coastal town overlooking the Irish Sea.

FmP's record set Ireland Merchant Navy Crew Lists has an 1866 record of an Anthony Lockey aged 41 (born c1825) of Waterford, Ireland, aboard the ship Gipsy. Also on the same ship in 1875. It looks like it sailed regularly between Waterford & Bristol, and Waterford & Liverpool.

Other records include an 1853 Seamans Ticket for Anthony Locky of Waterford, aged 28 (born c1826), and records under the surname Lackey that look likely to be him.

He died in Waterford in 1893
              good find, I did wonder if he was as seaman, not realised those records were on FMP, another thing learnt.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I had a look on irishgenealogy.ie for any Anthony died in Waterford in 1893. This is the only one I found. Anthony LOQUAY aged 80, a tailor married to Hannah who was informant. That makes birth year c1812/13 so not likely the right man?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....08/4710113.pdf
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-10-22, 12:58.

Comment

The birth certificate for James when it arrives should help to clear up his father’s forename and occupation.
                  Does it say an occupation for Elizabeth on the 2 censuses where she was listed as married? eg. seaman’s wife or whatever?

Comment

1861 she is a dressmaker (hammersmith)
                    1871 nurse. (Brighton - visitor)
                    1881 dressmaker (hammersmith)

It's really looking like it was a whirlwind romance with Anthony and they didn't see each other again as she returns south. Being in either London or Sussex for the above census.

But close to water each time.....
                    Queenbee

Comment

My husband will LOVE having a direct Irish ancestor if things go that way! He's a musician who plays lots of Irish folk music
                      Queenbee

Comment

ooh you might want to contact yummy-mummy-amy she has Lackeys in her tree and I think that they also come from Ireland. it might be that Anthony is a connection to her.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The plot thickens..... James' bcc landes in my mail box this morning. Father is......

Charles Lockley, ironfounders clerk from Ipswich!!!!

So Anthony only appears in Gretna Green and no where else.

so who is Charles??
                          Queenbee

Comment

Oh flipping heck! If that is true then the seafaring occupation theory Ireland-Cumbria is probably a red herring - or maybe I should have said wild goose chase .

Does that occupation fit with what is on James’ marriage certificate?
                            Last edited by GallowayLass; 07-10-22, 10:13.

Comment

Originally posted by queenbee View Post
                              The plot thickens..... James' bcc landes in my mail box this morning. Father is......

Charles Lockley, ironfounders clerk from Ipswich!!!!

So Anthony only appears in Gretna Green and no where else.

so who is Charles??
                              it might be that Elizabeth had a bit of a fling with Charles whilst Anthony away at sea?
                              Julie

Comment

Unhelpfully he's deceased on the marriage cert in 1875!!

But finding the positive, I'm more confident that Charles is the father and not Anthony (they could still be the same person though). But Elizabeth got up to something naughty in 1855 :D

she married 16th April and had a baby 12 Dec - I make that 8 months........
                                Queenbee

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

it might be that Elizabeth had a bit of a fling with Charles whilst Anthony away at sea?
                                  She definitely did 'something'!!!
                                  Queenbee

Comment

Widowed by 1871 census. In 1861 she is a visitor on census night which indicates she's away from her 'home'.

No Charles lockley deaths in Suffolk for the period, but 5 for the whole country. If the spelling didn't get messed with.
                                    Queenbee

Comment

hmmmm what if Anthony was already married away in Ireland and to save face when James asked about his dad she 'made up' Charles ironfounders clerk? has hubby done a DNA test? that might be an avenue to explore.
                                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by queenbee View Post
                                        Unhelpfully he's deceased on the marriage cert in 1875!!

But finding the positive, I'm more confident that Charles is the father and not Anthony (they could still be the same person though). But Elizabeth got up to something naughty in 1855 :D

she married 16th April and had a baby 12 Dec - I make that 8 months........
                                        Yep! A baby on the way was obviously the need for the marriage but who really was the Daddy?? If there were two Lockley men, all we’ve got at the moment is it’s one of “Team Chant” - if I may borrow a celebrity style naming convention.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                          I had a look on irishgenealogy.ie for any Anthony died in Waterford in 1893. This is the only one I found. Anthony LOQUAY aged 80, a tailor married to Hannah who was informant. That makes birth year c1812/13 so not likely the right man?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....08/4710113.pdf
                                          The burial record I was looking at says Anthony Lockey aged 66 buried 2 Feb 1893 at St Otteran's Burial Ground, Waterford. Died in Hospital, but I can't quite make out which one.​

ADDED: Just realised its a moot point now anyway!
                                          Last edited by teasie; 07-10-22, 11:55.

Comment

Working...
                                          X