No announcement yet.

Gretna green wedding causing issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am stumped finding a possible Anthony or Charles Lockley or variant on the UK census in 1861.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

The burial record I was looking at says Anthony Lockey aged 66 buried 2 Feb 1893 at St Otteran's Burial Ground, Waterford. Died in Hospital, but I can't quite make out which one.​

ADDED: Just realised its a moot point now anyway!
      I have just gone and rechecked that death I found. I had written wrong age.
      It actually says 60. The death above his was aged 80.
      Anthony in the cert died the very same day as the burial you found. His place of death was “Hospital of the Holy Ghost” and his widow Hannah’s residence was Cathedral Square. Does that tally with the burial record?

Comment

The closest I can find on 'first sweep' is HENRY Lockley born c1830 Cannock, Staffordshire, but he's nowhere near Ipswich, Gretna, Maryport, or anywhere else mentioned so far!!.

1851 at Shut End, Kingswinford, Stourbridge
        Henery Lockley 21 Iron Masters Clerk b Cannock, Staffordshire

1861 at Corbyns Hall Lodge, Corbyns Hall Street, Kingswinford, Staffordshire (transcribed on FmP as Henry Lorbley)
        Henry Lockley 31 Ironmasters Clerk b Kingswinford, Staffordshire

He appears to have died in Stourbridge RD in 1869, and his mother's maiden name was Grovenor.

So apart from the surname, occupation and him being dead by 1871, nothing else seems to tie in

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          hmmmm what if Anthony was already married away in Ireland and to save face when James asked about his dad she 'made up' Charles ironfounders clerk? has hubby done a DNA test? that might be an avenue to explore.
          Would this still be the case is Charles is the informant???
          Queenbee

Comment

Ancestry are having sale right now on their DNA kits so it’s the perfect time for hubby to take a test. The cost of the basic test is £59 + shipping (a tenner I think) till mid November. It’s normally £79 + shipping.
            You could add your tree as a guest user. If you build the tree with the assumption that James was the child of the Gretna marriage you can then add Charles as an alternative parent. Once the DNA results come back, make sure you have the tree linked to the results and wait to see if any matches appear that break down the brick wall.
            The DNA raw file can also be uploaded to other sites such as ftDNA, LivingDNA (they have a tie in with FMP), MyHeritage and GEDMatch. Uploads are free but you will need to pay a one off fee to access their tools. It is best to fish in as many ponds as you can.
            Another main company is 23andme. However, like ancestry they do not accept uploads from other providers so keep an eye out for one of their kit sales.

Comment

Hubby has done an ancestry dna test - Xmas present a couple of years ago.

but I've never used it as a research aid. Not sure what I'm looking for. Tree on ancestry has husband as the start person and I've put james's father as Charles and Anthony as a marriage.

I'll change it to Anthony as alternative parent to they're both linked to James
              Last edited by queenbee; 07-10-22, 13:20.
              Queenbee

Comment

What if Charles and Anthony were the same person? I've seen stranger name alterations/mixups on certificates! Perhaps Charles sometimes called himself Anthony or vice versa. Perhaps the Gretna marriage recorder had an Anthony at the previous wedding or maybe a dram too many!!
                Just a thought!
                Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  What if Charles and Anthony were the same person? I've seen stranger name alterations/mixups on certificates! Perhaps Charles sometimes called himself Anthony or vice versa. Perhaps the Gretna marriage recorder had an Anthony at the previous wedding or maybe a dram too many!!
                  Just a thought!
                  Anne
                  At this point it seems that anything is possible!! But we've had no luck finding either of them which is really just very odd and frustrating.

Although a little bit of me is pleased that better researchers than me are struggling - means I wasn't just being thick! :D
                  Queenbee

Comment

Originally posted by queenbee View Post
                    Although a little bit of me is pleased that better researchers than me are struggling - means I wasn't just being thick! :D
                    Says who we’re better? Maybe some of us might be a bit more bl**dy minded (me ) and don’t like admitting defeat!

Comment

Well don't let me stop you from being tenacious! I feel like I know lots more about this part of the family but also not much more!
                      Queenbee

Comment

Well don't let me stop you from being tenacious! I feel like I know lots more about this part of the family but also not much more!

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

I have just gone and rechecked that death I found. I had written wrong age.
                          It actually says 60. The death above his was aged 80.
                          Anthony in the cert died the very same day as the burial you found. His place of death was “Hospital of the Holy Ghost” and his widow Hannah’s residence was Cathedral Square. Does that tally with the burial record?
                          NB there are a few newspaper articles about Antony Lockey in Cathredal Square, I looked yesterday, but wasn't telling much.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The plot thickens..... James' bcc landes in my mail box this morning. Father is......

Charles Lockley, ironfounders clerk from Ipswich!!!!

So Anthony only appears in Gretna Green and no where else.

so who is Charles??
                            what is the address on the cert?

Did the father have to be present at registration? so he would have to be real?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Address is Arthur Street, St Helens, Ipswich.

Charles is the informant, it might be modern thinking but is this not recording the person actually telling the registrar. Or was it just always recorded as the father??
                              Queenbee

Comment

I dont know if trade directories might help. Even to fill in Elizabeth's travels as she was a dressmaker.
                                Queenbee

Comment

Yes, if Charles is listed in the 'informant' as well as 'father' column he was actually present.
                                  Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                    Yes, if Charles is listed in the 'informant' as well as 'father' column he was actually present.
                                    Anne
                                    Well then we know he actually really did exist!! And where he was for at least 1 day :D
                                    Queenbee

Comment

there are some records at Ipswich archives for an ironfounders, https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/N13618060
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Great Britain Philatelic Society
                                        Link to a document listing various gazetteers in England. Norfolk begins on p.65

https://www.gbps.org.uk/information/...d%20(2020).pdf
                                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 07-10-22, 22:46.

Comment

• Originally posted by queenbee View Post

Would this still be the case is Charles is the informant???
                                          then nope! if he was an informant then he was there informing...

what sort of YOB do we have for him around 1826? or a bit earlier?
                                          Julie
                                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                          X