1921 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

I saw that page but I am confused as to whether Micropayments is just fancy name for saying you can pay by debit or credit card and Paypal. In the page where it says you can pay for 1921 images using cards or Paypal there was a link to another page saying what you have posted. My brain must be tired from todays meeting as I was left thinking card payments and Micropayments were two different things.
    It's called a micropayment because it's a tiny amount. You aren't buying a sub or credits. You are paying £2 for a transcript or £3 for an image, and each time you pay they charge your card for the small amount.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

It's called a micropayment because it's a tiny amount. You aren't buying a sub or credits. You are paying £2 for a transcript or £3 for an image, and each time you pay they charge your card for the small amount.
      Confused person here.

Is it that you don’t need to have a sub to FMP, to do a ‘pay to view’?

I looked earlier (via a friend’s account) to see what was free.

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 06-01-22, 23:43.
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I gave in and got my paternal grandparents and my eldest aunt who was 9 months old at the time.
        Gran’s forename IS correct in the image but they’ve mistranscribed it as Doris. Grrr.
        Grandad had distinctive handwriting and the last letter of her forename is repeated another three times in that first column and they are all identical. You’d think they would have read it correctly! He did however miss an ‘e’ from the middle of his own forename.
        His mother who ought to have been at home in Whitchurch, Shropshire turns out to have been a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary about 6 miles from where Gran and Grandad were living. The old witch probably thought Gran (now on home duties with a 9 month old baby) had nothing better to do than look after her when she came out. There was no love lost between them! Now I’ll have to find out what was wrong with her.
        I paid for 5 images so £17.50 in total. I downloaded them and all of the extras as well.
        Thank goodness for all the hints and tips from folks on here as it sure is a right faff compared with previous censuses.
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 08-01-22, 22:54.

Comment

I gave in tonight and downloaded all four grandparents, no real startling revelations everyone where they were expected to be etc but I did discover one really interesting fact after.

I thought I would make a list generationally to note who I can look for next.

8 Great-Grandparents of whom 7 were still alive, but the next generation was really surprising.

Of the 16 - 2 x Great-Grandparents, 6 out of the 8 men were all still alive in 1921 but all 8 of the women had died by 1921, which goes against the normal trend!
          My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post

Confused person here.

Is it that you don’t need to have a sub to FMP, to do a ‘pay to view’?

I looked earlier (via a friend’s account) to see what was free.
            You don't need a sub but get a 10% discount if you have a premium (or whatever they call it) subscription.
            You can search for free then you pay per image or transcription separately - they don't have a basket to fill.
            Once you've paid for a transcription you can see the others from the same page but not the image unless you paid for it already.
            You can see the address from an image if it is a private house by clicking the arrow to the right, but not if it is an institution/hotel, either way if you have paid for the image you can click on other materials underneath to see it.

It's all straightforward but full of transcription errors so searching can be hard. Then the pain is that when/if you track them down, you can only report transcription errors via the transcription but you need the image to check what it actually says.

I thought I knew which relation my grandmother would be with from the search list location, but found she was actually a junior mistress at a school in Stanford le Hope and then found a picture of the school on google. I did know that she was a pupil teacher but didn't realise she taught there for so long and lived in.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post

I am thanks Julie, hope you all are too.
              yep we're all dandy thanks JayG
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                I cant read the word thats been written over, begins with B... the child above is single but then as the ages go below 15 there is another word written over it . Any ideas please?
                I have seen what it is now. Under 15's you have to put if parents are alive or dead and its written as Both Alive.

Another question is the rooms Does that include the kitchen/bathroom. If I remember from recent census you dont include those.
                So one of mine has 8 people living in 5 rooms so guess it must be 3 bedrooms and 2 downstairs rooms

Comment

Thanks Caroline☹️
                  ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I cannot believe it took me reading an article in a newspaper this morning to understand why they did the parents alive part for children under the age of 15 but on the one image I got I cannot see the actual address information so where has that bit come from? I knew what the address would be due to my Granda being born in Aug 1921, just 2 months out I'm pretty gutted at that one. It would have been nice to see his name on something other than his birth certificate where his mum was still alive
                    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                      I cannot believe it took me reading an article in a newspaper this morning to understand why they did the parents alive part for children under the age of 15 but on the one image I got I cannot see the actual address information so where has that bit come from? I knew what the address would be due to my Granda being born in Aug 1921, just 2 months out I'm pretty gutted at that one. It would have been nice to see his name on something other than his birth certificate where his mum was still alive
                      Look at the image online again, make sure you have the filmstrip open, click on extra materials and then click on Front and you will get the address.

2022-01-07_130207.jpg
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

Look at the image online again, make sure you have the filmstrip open, click on extra materials and then click on Front and you will get the address.

2022-01-07_130207.jpg
                        Now that is better, I'd read it but when I tried it it wanted to open someone else's so thank you for that one. Thought I only had the one image.
                        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

I have found my grandmother, apparently on holiday in Margate, Kent with her boyfriend / fiance / husband to be, her sister and husband plus their two little children. All listed as Visitors. I bet they had a great time!
                          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

The only one I had to do to bust down a brickwall was my paternal grandfather who was nothing more than a name on 3 birth certs from 1919-1926, beyond that I had no idea of where/when he was born. I've been stuck working back from him right from my early days of research 17 years ago. I'm shocked the transcription was correct though I had the ER's and birth certs for his kids so ad a few options for searching. FMP made up for things in the earlier census though, born in 1867 and transcribed wrongly in some way on every census pre 1921.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I thought it might be interesting to see who was in my house in 1921 but all the houses that came up had names instead of numbers🤬

Can’t say I’m impressed.
                              I’m not paying for any results, merely doing the free search.
                              Tried the address search for the ancestral home (built in 1815) and it’s not there.
                              Then I looked for my grandfather. Yes. He’s there! On his own! Nobody else mentioned, so I looked for gt gran.
                              She's there AND granddad’s older bro!

Hmmmmmm ... odd

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 08-01-22, 22:53.

Comment

I have been browsing fome recent posts on the Family Historian User Group forum regarding the 1921 census and someone has offered this very clever work-around. Credit to him - his name is Dave Simpson - and I hope he doesn't mind me sharing. I tried it with a relatively unusual name and it worked a treat.

Another tip to find the other household members.

Once you've found a person in the correct household:
                                Note the name of the person you've found USE NAME AS DISPLAYED, not what it should be
                                Note the 'Parish' and 'Registration District'

Click on 'Advanced Search' at the bottom of the page

On the 'Advanced Search' form
                                Clear out the name completely
                                Clear out the date of birth

Fill in 'Parish' and 'Registration District'

Go the bottom of the form and fill in 'Other Household Member' using the name as shown on your original search results.

Untick the 'Name Variants' for both names.

Now Search

This should hopefully show you everyone in that household (excluding the one you entered as 'Other Household Member'
                                Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

That’s a very helpful tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                                    I have been browsing fome recent posts on the Family Historian User Group forum regarding the 1921 census and someone has offered this very clever work-around. Credit to him - his name is Dave Simpson - and I hope he doesn't mind me sharing. I tried it with a relatively unusual name and it worked a treat.

Another tip to find the other household members.

Once you've found a person in the correct household:
                                    Note the name of the person you've found USE NAME AS DISPLAYED, not what it should be
                                    Note the 'Parish' and 'Registration District'

Click on 'Advanced Search' at the bottom of the page

On the 'Advanced Search' form
                                    Clear out the name completely
                                    Clear out the date of birth

Fill in 'Parish' and 'Registration District'

Go the bottom of the form and fill in 'Other Household Member' using the name as shown on your original search results.

Untick the 'Name Variants' for both names.

Now Search

This should hopefully show you everyone in that household (excluding the one you entered as 'Other Household Member'
                                    it reminds me of playing Mastermind back in the 70s! I was playing about with EstherLesley quest yesterday, but couldn't find them, need to have another go.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

it reminds me of playing Mastermind back in the 70s! I was playing about with EstherLesley quest yesterday, but couldn't find them, need to have another go.
                                      Are you talking about family history or playing Wordle?

Comment

Gardengirl That doesn't work for me I'm afraid :(

Edit: It only works for me if I put Head of household in - then it brought up 37 results. Among those were the other three in the household spread amongst the others not together but as you say HOH not displayed.
                                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-01-22, 13:09.
                                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• I have just found OH's great great great Grandmother on the 1921, at the age of 93. I now have the full set for her, in every census from 1841-1921. Luckily she never moved out of the area where she was born so was easy to find.
                                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                                          X