Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    hello Jay nice to see you

I think thats a good idea what you are doing, could tell you a lot.
    Hi Val

Hope you are well 😊

Just viewed my first image!
    Jay

Comment

I've just been looking.

The initial free search doesn't tell much except that you have probably found "your" person, based on name, birth year (only option is to enter 1 certain year), place of birth and where living. The results do show different spellings of names, selection of years (+/- 2 or 3), and different birth places if you only put in county.

Then you have to pay to see either the transcribed version or the image.

I do now have FMP PRO as all worldwide were upgraded to that, and got the 10% discount on the £4.80 cost of the transcript. However, I haven't taken advantage of that yet. I might try a little bit later this evening (here!!)).
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I got on the website and got my Great Grandfather's which I cannot believe is a bit more filling on the age part, anyone else noticed that bit? Only 2 months short of my Granda being on it but which is worth paying for, for those that have the means to do both sides? The image or the transcript?

I just need to attempt to find his twin sister now which might prove difficult due to the location of her 1911 census
        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Well I've got one right one and one wrong one but I can't see where their address is .Also I can't get it to download or print

Comment

I've just spent 2 x $A4.32 to see the transcript of my Dad's family .............. I made mistake with the first one ............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You can get quite a lot of information, look at every other person in the household, etc. Information on the work done, the place where they worked, etc. It also has some different information when you do look at each entry .......... for example the 2 youngest children (12 and 14) have a category Orphanhood: Father dead. That is not shown on my Dad's entry, he was 17. It was interesting that the 14 year old was working yet had that information. Nothing else shown for the 12 year old such as if she was at school or which school.

Haven't looked at the image to see what else can be picked up.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia the question about whether parents are dead or alive only relates to children aged 15 and under.
              Jay

Comment

As I expected, it will alllow a search to be done and gives a set of results but you can’t even see the transcript. The results list gives Name, birth year, birthplace, parish where living and registration district and county. Payment is required and it also says that because payment is required, the 1921 census is not available via FMP Library Edition.
                As NLS Edinburgh is not on the list of places granted free access for customers who turn up in person, then it’s pointless making a trip up there.
                I’ll just wait however long it takes till it’s part of the full subscription.
                Gran’s forename is indexed wrongly. Grrr! I wonder if it’s wrong in the image or just mistranscribed in the index?
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-01-22, 00:49.

Comment

I am primarily interested in my maternal grandparents as they weren't married until later in 1921. Like Sylvia, I initially looked at a wrong record but I've now found my grandfather, at home with his mother and sisters (didn't look at the actual record). My maternal grandmother was surprisingly still in the Armed Forces, living in the staff house of a hospital in Shorncliffe, near Folkestone.
                  Last edited by jenoco; 06-01-22, 02:11.
                  Jenny

Comment

Found my mum and dad with my grandparents. So good result. Lots of g/aunts and uncles but that will have to be for another time. Good info re occupations and employers. Also found my elusive Mary Jane m great grandmother b Ireland but for some reason Ireland scored thru and looks like FMP have changed place of birth to Durham which is incorrect. Maybe got it from dob which was a guess by her daughter. Pleased with site

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                      Sylvia the question about whether parents are dead or alive only relates to children aged 15 and under.
                      Jay .......... what puzzled me is that the school leaving age then was 12, unless you passed some exam and were able to go onto 2 or 3 more years at least. So the 14 year old had been out at work for 2 years, they would not have been able to pay extra for him to go to the the extra years because money was so tight.

I guess they had to pick an age to show whether they were orphans or not.

Comment

If you click on to buy image at the top it tells you who else is on the image, or at least in the same household.

So it says my great grandfathers name great grandmothers name one of their children and 5 others so it tallies with what I already have. My grandmother had already got married and have seen her listed with her husband so no need to really pay for any of those now!!
                        Last edited by gloryer; 06-01-22, 03:47.

Comment

I’m surprised the copy of an original I purchased does not include an address.
                          Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacky View Post
                            i was just going to say the same. Is it on the transcript? Also is this the first one that each household has its own page as before I have had 2 families on the same page.

Comment

There is a box at the top of the search page to search for an address which seems a bit strange if no address appears on the census. but its nice to see my great grandfather had very neat handwriting and its signed by him at the bottom of the page. He had a bit of trouble spelling vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                                I've just been checking my tree to make a list of direct ancestors that should be on the 1921 census

Grandparents - 4
                                Great grandparents - 6
                                2 x Great grandparents - 8
                                3 x Great grandparents - 1

I know where most of them should be but i'm interested to see if my paternal grandfather was living with his mother and step father or if he was living with his maternal grandparents.
                                Hello JayG .... long time no see, hope you are well?
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                                  Well I've got one right one and one wrong one but I can't see where their address is .Also I can't get it to download or print
                                  do a screen shot? JLB
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

yes, i too find it odd that by purchasing the image, it doesn't include the address? also is one sided page, so not like you get the reverse on the next image. the next image is the next household.

very unfair to include address on transcript and not with image? a ploy to have people buy both? or do they think most people will only look at the transcript?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                      yes, i too find it odd that by purchasing the image, it doesn't include the address? also is one sided page, so not like you get the reverse on the next image. the next image is the next household.

very unfair to include address on transcript and not with image? a ploy to have people buy both? or do they think most people will only look at the transcript?
                                      In that case then you should be able to buy the transcript and upgrade to the original for £1

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                                        you can go back in a view again without paying. I use snipping tool to copy mine
                                        Last edited by gloryer; 06-01-22, 07:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacky View Post
                                          if you go back into the original you have to click on extra materials to see the front and cover of the census to find the address which is then filled in by the enumerator and difficult to read.....

Comment

Working...
                                          X