Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1921 Census

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1921 Census

    Anyone else staying up tonight?

  • #2
    Will definitely take a look especially as I' m a night owl

    vera

    Comment


    • #3
      I'll wait until tomorrow morning and hope that I am up early enough not to get crowded out!!
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't think there is anything I desperately need but will love to see where a lot of my relatives are. Always some surprises
        Lin

        Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

        Comment


        • #5
          I will be looking but not that exciting - all my Mums grandparents died 1917-1920, so not that much to see for her immediate family. If I start going wider for her - I think the price would have to reduce!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

          Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

          Comment


          • #6
            I wonder how much info will be given on the initial free search results before you have to pay to open? It could be quite a costly business if there are even only slightly differing interpretations/mistranscriptions of a name, address etc.
            I will be looking after midnight tonight JLB - My Mum shouldn't have been on this census had it not been delayed by a few months as she was born in May 1921. My Dad will be there - b 1919.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 05-01-22, 15:41. Reason: added more
            Kat

            Comment


            • #7
              Might have a look sometime tomorrow to see what I can get for free, hopefully it won't be too long before it is part of a (much enhanced!) subscription. Can anyone remember how long it was before the 1911 was amalgamated into the subs?
              Margaret

              Comment


              • #8
                About 3 years I think? They need to recoup the cost of the work involved.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have nothing crucial so doubt I will be paying for anything yet. Not sure if one of my grannies was in service or helping her dad run his pub so might look for her at some point.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm hoping that the search results are better than on their other census, not giving a place of birth is a real pain if your'e saddled with common names as I am. i have a couple of mysteries that I'm trying to solve, but if I find myself paying for a lot of wrong results I won't be very happy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      About 3 years I think? They need to recoup the cost of the work involved.
                      How long was it before Ancestry had its 1911? How long before Ancestry can put out its own 1921? Competition usually means lower pricing.
                      ------------------------------------------------------
                      My Families
                      London-area Coverly Family Finder DNA Project

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JLB View Post
                        I'm hoping that the search results are better than on their other census, not giving a place of birth is a real pain if your'e saddled with common names as I am. i have a couple of mysteries that I'm trying to solve, but if I find myself paying for a lot of wrong results I won't be very happy.
                        I agree not having that is a real pain, you can try adding in other, but not very successful. The box for other members is helpful though
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

                        Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Has this gone live early by any chance??
                          I have been using findmypast website via the National Library of Scotland members’ portal today but could not carry on my search after roughly 4pm as “all the seats had been taken”. I hope that it’s not because people have not realised that NLS has not been given free access to 1921 census.
                          NLS should really add a big clear notice to that effect in the description of FMP in the E-Resources area.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                            Has this gone live early by any chance??
                            I have been using findmypast website via the National Library of Scotland members’ portal today but could not carry on my search after roughly 4pm as “all the seats had been taken”. I hope that it’s not because people have not realised that NLS has not been given free access to 1921 census.
                            NLS should really add a big clear notice to that effect in the description of FMP in the E-Resources area.
                            but if you entered the census via NLS or even the english libraries could you then take advantage of the discount?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I started to make a list of the ones I would like to see. I have 5 top ones and another 2 that I am itching to see, I am sure there will be more but if I only go for the transcriptions its going to be 5 x £2.50 = £12.50 so not cheap. I would probably prefer to see the original but then I would have to work out how to print them to a size where I can read them.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                About 3 years I think? They need to recoup the cost of the work involved.
                                Thank you
                                Margaret

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  if you have FMP PRO you get 10% off the 1921 records, I'm thinking about upgrading.


                                  Val

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    I've just been checking my tree to make a list of direct ancestors that should be on the 1921 census

                                    Grandparents - 4
                                    Great grandparents - 6
                                    2 x Great grandparents - 8
                                    3 x Great grandparents - 1

                                    I know where most of them should be but i'm interested to see if my paternal grandfather was living with his mother and step father or if he was living with his maternal grandparents.
                                    Jay

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      hello Jay nice to see you

                                      I think thats a good idea what you are doing, could tell you a lot.


                                      Val

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by gloryer View Post

                                        but if you entered the census via NLS or even the english libraries could you then take advantage of the discount?
                                        Ooh! Dunno. I thought they just wouldn’t have access to 1921 at all as you are not actually logged in as yourself but are just an NLS user. It’s very useful to still get access to parish registers etc. while I have no direct sub but it’s a pain in the backside way to navigate through. Absolutely every time that you click on something, up comes the cookie settings box followed by the confirm your settings box. You can’t even go to the next record in a results list without completing the two boxes nor can you adjust your search in any way. It makes searching for anything a long tiresome process.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X