No announcement yet.

1921 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just noticed that if you do a search and in the search results hover over the icons for image/transcription it gives the names of some of the other people in the household.

Maybe you all knew that but putting it here in case it helps!

Anne

Comment

I found my mum age 1month old but she was as great niece and her parents as nephew and niece. I had expected to find her as a grandchild so had no idea who the head of household was.

I went to the address search and can see that there are two households within no 13 xxxxxxx road.

1 Screenshot 13 Phoenix road.jpg

I had already downloaded my Mum's image so downloaded the other as a transcription. It turned out to be her uncle on her mother's side.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-01-22, 13:42.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Fair chuffed... found my great aunt from Caithness. I have her in Scotland in 1911 then disappears, been searching ages.
        She has turned up as a boarder in London, working as a waitress. So some progress.

The search was pretty easy but I do think if you pay for the original (as I did) you should get the transcription included. I like to cut and paste it into my tree.
        Happy days... can't wait for the Scottish 1921 as that is where most of mine will be.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

If you know the address where someone is living, go to the advanced search and put the address into the Optional Keywords section (don't use any names), you should get everyone living at that address

Comment

Some of the transcriptions are a bit off, Shitcroft Collages for a start which should be Stubcroft Cottages. For some reason my great grandfather's village of East Wittering has been transcribed as Earnley, East Wittering (Earnley is the next parish).

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
              Some of the transcriptions are a bit off, Shitcroft Collages for a start which should be Stubcroft Cottages. For some reason my great grandfather's village of East Wittering has been transcribed as Earnley, East Wittering (Earnley is the next parish).
              Sounds like they have been farming out the transcribing to those who are not exactly competent and/or have not much local knowledge, if any. Operating at the level for which ancestry has become infamous will not do them any favours.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                I've just noticed that if you do a search and in the search results hover over the icons for image/transcription it gives the names of some of the other people in the household.

Maybe you all knew that but putting it here in case it helps!

Anne
                Found this too Anne.
                However my Youell spinsters are causing me problems again. Have tried some of the known mistranscriptions but no luck so far.
                Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I have a surname given as part of the address - because of where it was written on the schedule presumably.

"Wincoll" Tompkins, Ash Green Road, Ash & Normandy, Surrey, England is the transcription but it is actually "Wincoll" Ash Vale Rd. on the image. Ash Green is the parish.

On the same perfectly legible image, the first name has been transcribed two different ways. Once Osborne was Robert? The T was from the surname Tompkins. They also clearly couldn't manage an old fashioned E and read it as C even though Edwin was clearly written. Rather rushed I think.

Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I wonder how much double checking was done ie each sheet being transcribed by more than one volunteer so the results could be compared?
                    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Hello JayG .... long time no see, hope you are well?
                      I am thanks Julie, hope you all are too.
                      Jay

Comment

Having read through this thread, I do wonder how ‘off’ the free info is.

My grandmother, Louisa, is typed ‘Louise’.

A minor point, however, now I’d like to check it for myself 😊

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                          I wonder how much double checking was done ie each sheet being transcribed by more than one volunteer so the results could be compared?
                          According to their video it was all thoroughly checked😳
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

According to their video it was all thoroughly checked😳
                            Hmmm. Does it say by whom and what their level of experience is?

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                              Having read through this thread, I do wonder how ‘off’ the free info is.

My grandmother, Louisa, is typed ‘Louise’.

A minor point, however, now I’d like to check it for myself 😊

My great grandmother Mary is showing as May, i've viewed the image and May is what it looks like rather than Mary.
                              Jay

Comment

I have logged out of my account at FMP on all devices so I'm starting from scratch while reading the info they have about the 1921 on their site.
                                I can see that I can choose card payment or Paypal to purchase an image. All fine but then I saw a screen about what they call micropayments which have replaced credits. What I can't figure out is this - is micropayments just another way of saying that you can pay by card etc. for a 1921 census image or is this a separate system? I can't seem to get any more info on micropayments. If they are a different thing to card payments, how do you purchase them?

Comment

Micropayments have replaced Credits on Findmypast. With Micropayments, you can access everything on the site on a pay-per-view basis, without a subscription. The cost of each record varies and with Micropayments you pay for each one you view individually. The price is clearly displayed before you purchase a record.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                    Micropayments have replaced Credits on Findmypast. With Micropayments, you can access everything on the site on a pay-per-view basis, without a subscription. The cost of each record varies and with Micropayments you pay for each one you view individually. The price is clearly displayed before you purchase a record.
                                    I saw that page but I am confused as to whether Micropayments is just fancy name for saying you can pay by debit or credit card and Paypal. In the page where it says you can pay for 1921 images using cards or Paypal there was a link to another page saying what you have posted. My brain must be tired from todays meeting as I was left thinking card payments and Micropayments were two different things.

Comment

I have not looked at any yet, as doesn't seem to be anything that I don't know. Guess I will get great grandparents just because!

Interesting that you can see the first 3 people when you hover over, can see yummy-mummy-amy Harry with is wife and first child that we weren't sure if it was theirs, so something for nothing! could be useful for some without spending.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I go to the National Archives regularly, so will wait to search the 1921 census for free, otherwise it's pretty expensive
                                        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I hadn't realised you dont need to be a member to access the 1921 records Galloway, so imagine thats what they mean, you would only be spending a litte at a time and not registering your credit card???
                                          Last edited by Guest; 06-01-22, 23:05.

Comment

Working...
                                          X