Where was Arthur Morris born. posted 9.1.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was Arthur Morris born. posted 9.1.21

I need some further info if possible please.Carolyn you found that Arthur Morris b. 5 Crosses Frodsham 10th Set 1910

Arthurs MMN was Kimber,First name was Ellen.

I need to find a marriage for Ellen to Harry Morris possibly prior to 1907 when Arthurs sister Emma was born

Without this info I am having problems getting further with this line.

Any help appreciated.

bettyespana

​Bettyespana

I am really struggling here to identify Ellen Kimber's birth or baptism and also a marriage for her and Harry. Harry's birth I have found. He followed his father's trade. It's looking like Harry and Ellen never married and fibbed about it on the census and Emma and Arthur's birth certificates.
    MORRIS, HARRY TOMKINSON
    GRO Reference: 1879 S Quarter in NANTWICH Volume 08A Page 361
    1881 census Class: RG11; Piece: 3548; Folio: 8; Page: 9; GSU roll: 1341849
    Harry Morris
    abt 1879
    Son
    James Morris
    Ellen Morris
    Male
    Nantwich, Cheshire, England
    Nantwich
    Cheshire
    England
    26 Wych House Bank
    Nantwich
    View others on page
    Marriage of James MORRIS and Eleanor TOMKINSON
    James Morris
    Male
    Single
    30 Jan 1859
    James Morris
    Eleanor Tomkinson
    I also wondered if Ellen KIMBER might have been married before so a KIMBER / MORRIS marriage wouldn't show up but that's not it either. It's deffo not this lady as she is still married to Emanuel in 1939 register. She was born in Stockport which is where the Ellen KIMBER you are looking for was also born according to 1911 census.
    KIMBER Mary Ellen KILBRIDE Emanuel Edward 1900 Stockport Civil Marriage or Registrar Attended Stockport STR/56/103
    from ukbmd.org FMP has the image. The marriage was St Joseph R.C. Church, Stockport

Comment

I've been looking too but not found anything aside from the missing childs birth and death.

Phoebe Morris MMN KIMBER
      born 1905
      April/may/june - Warrington
      Vol 08c page 245

and death

Phoebe Morris aged 3
      Barton upon Irwell
      Vol 08c Page 362.

I suspect like GL that one or both may have already been married which is why no marriage can be found.

I looked for a birth of Ellen but couldn't spot anything likely for 1881. The only likely one was Mary Ellen Kimber born 1883 Stockport. BUT GL already has accounted for her, so maybe Harry had already married but lived with Ellen asthough they were married.

Not even sure that getting the children's b/certs will help.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Here is previous thread
        Arthur Morris was living in Mayfield Rd in Eccles during the 40s through to the 60s. with his wife Clare & family comprising 6 children. Can anyone throw a light on where Arthur was born as there may be a link to Frodsham in Cheshire. Not certain when he arrived in Eccles only know that both himself & Clare possibly

looks like marriage is hidden :(
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I hadn’t twigged there had been an earlier thread ?

Comment

Now thinking about this if as we suspect that Ellen wasn't married to Harry, could this be her death?

Name: Ellen Kimber
            Death Age: 87
            Birth Date: abt 1881
            Registration Date: Oct 1968
            [Nov 1968]
            [Dec 1968]
            Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
            Registration District: Manchester
            Inferred County: Lancashire
            Volume: 10e
            Page: 406

do we know when Harry died?
            Julie

Comment

There are 9 trees on ancestry for Harry Morris born 1879 in Nantwich. 5 are private so nothing other than that given. Of the 4 public ones, only 1 knows his mother’s maiden surname and all 4 show her as Ellen rather than Eleanor. None of the 4 have a wife for Harry and also none of the 4 have a death for him.

Comment

There’s no photo or biography on findagrave but this should be the burial of the death Darksecretz found.

Ellen Kimber
                Birth unknown
                Burial Oct 1968
                Gorton Cemetery
                Manchester, Metropolitan Borough of Manchester, Greater Manchester, England
                MConsecrated 222

Comment

Then again maybe not This is burial records online from Manchester City Council. I entered Gorton cemetery but no date. You need to be logged in and purchase credits to see more on each person but this looks to me like it’s a Kimber family plot.

Gorton Cemetery MConsecrated 222 1 Albert Kimber
                  Gorton Cemetery MConsecrated 222 2 Ellen Kimber
                  Gorton Cemetery MConsecrated 222 3 Albert Kimber
                  Gorton Cemetery MConsecrated 222 4 Jessie Isobel Kimber

Comment

I can even find a likely Ellen Kimber on census 1881 or 1891. She may not have made the 1881 if her yob in 1911 is spot on but I had a look anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I am really struggling here to identify Ellen Kimber's birth or baptism and also a marriage for her and Harry. Harry's birth I have found. He followed his father's trade. It's looking like Harry and Ellen never married and fibbed about it on the census and Emma and Arthur's birth certificates.
                      MORRIS, HARRY TOMKINSON
                      GRO Reference: 1879 S Quarter in NANTWICH Volume 08A Page 361
                      1881 census Class: RG11; Piece: 3548; Folio: 8; Page: 9; GSU roll: 1341849
                      Harry Morris
                      abt 1879
                      Son
                      James Morris
                      Ellen Morris
                      Male
                      Nantwich
                      Cheshire
                      England
                      26 Wych House Bank
                      Nantwich
                      View others on page
                      Marriage of James MORRIS and Eleanor TOMKINSON
                      James Morris
                      Male
                      Single
                      30 Jan 1859
                      James Morris
                      Eleanor Tomkinson
                      I also wondered if Ellen KIMBER might have been married before so a KIMBER / MORRIS marriage wouldn't show up but that's not it either. It's deffo not this lady as she is still married to Emanuel in 1939 register. She was born in Stockport which is where the Ellen KIMBER you are looking for was also born according to 1911 census.
                      KIMBER Mary Ellen KILBRIDE Emanuel Edward 1900 Stockport Civil Marriage or Registrar Attended Stockport STR/56/103
                      from ukbmd.org FMP has the image. The marriage was St Joseph R.C. Church, Stockport
                      I didn't see this marriage to Emanuel Kilbride but I found her christening on 24th Dec 1882 at the same church St Josephs R.C Stockport.She was named Mary Helen Kimber

​Bettyespana

Comment

On the census Ellen was stated as born Stockport which is Cheshire.The burials you have found I would not think they would be relevant as Manchester Gorton Cemetery
                        was in Lancashire.I don't know when either Harry or Ellen died.In fact it was only when I was searching for Arthur Morris who was my own childrens Grandfather that the searches
                        found his parents Harry & Ellen.Morris.

I also note that both Phoebe 1905-1908,Emma 1907 were born in Lancashire. Arthur was born Frodsham,Cheshire 1910 & by the time of Arthur getting married in1932,he had
                        moved to Eccles which is under the reg,district of Barton upon Irwell & where his sister Emma also lived.
                        In the 1911c they are living Frodsham,Cheshire but although Arthur & his wife & family lived in Eccles until they were deceased I have never found where Arthur was after the 1911c.until I found he married his wife Clara in 1932 in Salford. Their 6 children were told Arthur was born Frodsham but none of them ever knew when they arrived in Eccles.It was all treated as a secret.
                        My son wants to know about his family & I am trying to help him find them.

​Bettyespana

Comment

I can't see anything either.

NB Gorton is only a few miles from Stockport - not that is any help!

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

checked out a few births and decided to put them on a SS! Nothing at all helpful thee though, but eliminates many!
                            Kimber Beatrice 1885 Chorlton, Lancashire, England HALLAM
                            Kimber Ann 1878 Stockport, Cheshire, England Handley
                            Kimber Edward 1880 Stockport, Cheshire, England Handley
                            Kimber Mary Ellen 1883 Stockport, Cheshire, England Hanley
                            Kember Edith 1883 Chorlton, Lancashire, England Levy
                            Kember Walter Herbert 1884 Chorlton, Lancashire, England Levy
                            Kember Reginald 1888 Chorlton, Lancashire, England Levy
                            Kimber Herbert 1886 Stockport, Cheshire, England Price
                            Kimber Ada 1888 Stockport, Cheshire, England PRICE
                            Kimber Matilda 1882 Stockport, Cheshire, England Sykes
                            Kimber James 1884 Stockport, Cheshire, England Sykes
                            Kimber John 1885 Stockport, Cheshire, England Sykes
                            Kimber Joseph 1888 Stockport, Cheshire, England Sykes
                            Kimber Catherine Adelaide 1881 Stockport, Cheshire, England Taylor
                            Kimber William 1886 Stockport, Cheshire, England Thompson
                            Kimber Walter 1887 Stockport, Cheshire, England Twyford
                            Kimber Lily 1888 Stockport, Cheshire, England TWYFORD
                            Kimber Katie 1888 Chorlton, Lancashire, England WHEELER
                            Kimber Ada Jessie 1885 Chorlton, Lancashire, England WHEELER
                            Kimber Florence Louisa 1880 Salford, Lancashire, England WRIGHT
                            Kimber Mary Emily 1883 Salford, Lancashire, England WRIGHT
                            Kimber Ada 1886 Chorlton, Lancashire, England WRIGHT
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

No image but here is transcript of Phoebe’s baptism.
                              Phoebe
                              Morris
                              Female
                              -
                              20 Apr 1905
                              Warrington, Lancashire, England
                              Warrington
                              Lancashire
                              England
                              Harry
                              Morris
                              Mary Ellen
                              Morris
                              England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975

Birth entry on GRO Online
                              MORRIS, PHOEBE KIMBER
                              GRO Reference: 1905 J Quarter in WARRINGTON Volume 08C Page 245

Death entry on GRO Online
                              MORRIS, PHOEBE 3
                              GRO Reference: 1908 J Quarter in BARTON UPON IRWELL Volume 08C Page 362

Can’t find a burial.

Comment

Getting somewhere I think, maybe....bear with me.

Comment

1911 census 2 Marple View Stockport, Stockport, Cheshire, England
                                  Michael Kilbride Head Married Male 55 1856 General Hawker Cheshire Stockport
                                  Mary Kilbride Wife Married Female 48 1863 - Cheshire Stockport
                                  Emanuel Kilbride Son Married Male 35 1876 Scourer Hat Works Cheshire Stockport
                                  Annie Kilbride Granddaughter Married Female 9 1902 At School Cheshire Stockport
                                  Mary was Michael’s 2nd wife
                                  KILBRIDE Michael CARROLL Mary 1895 Stockport Civil Marriage or Registrar Attended Stockport
                                  The first wife was called Jane and she was Emanuel’s mother.
                                  KILLBRIDE * Michael ECCLESTON Jane 1873 Heaton Norris, St Thomas Stockport ST7/9/66
                                  KILLBRIDE * Michael NEWTON Jane 1873 Heaton Norris, St Thomas
                                  Emanuel’s birth. The mms of NEWTON should, I think have been recorded as ECCLESTON as in the 1881 census, MICHAEL has a stepson called Robert NEWTON
                                  KILLBROYD Emanuel Edward NEWTON 1875 Stockport Second Stockport ST2/35/2
                                  The child called Annie born 1902 who is granddaughter to Michael is actually Emanuel KILBRIDE and Mary Ellen KIMBER’s only child. The image shows that the enumerator has made a bit of a mess listing who Annie belongs to - red scoring out marks.
                                  KILBRIDE, ANNIE KIMBER
                                  GRO Reference: 1902 J Quarter in STOCKPORT Volume 08A Page 60
                                  Now, you will have spotted that Mary Ellen KILBRIDE nee KIMBER is not at home in 1911. I can’t find her anywhere else either although my brain could be getting overloaded. Can somebody else please double check her? but I’m pretty certain she’s in Frodsham.

Emanuel and Mary Ellen are together in 1901 with no children, just their two selves.

Now previously I said that the Mary Ellen / Mary Helen / Maria Helena (baptism) KIMBER who married Emanuel Edward KILBRIDE could not be your Ellen KIMBER wife of Harry MORRIS as Emanuel and Ellen are still together in 1939 Register.
                                  Well, that turns out to be a different Ellen altogether! It is this pair who are 73 Richardson Street, Stockport in 1939.
                                  KILBRIDE Emanuel Edward BOWETT Ellen 1936 Stockport, St Thomas Stockport ST19/9/129
                                  St Thomas is the same church where Michael KILBRIDE married his 2nd wife. Its correct name and location is St Thomas the Apostle, Heaton Chapel and it’s Church of England. Perhaps the KILBRIDE family was not Roman Catholic or perhaps they lapsed? The KIMBER family were and the CARROLL family likely were which explains one marriage each for Michael and Emanuel in each faith.

My theory is that sometime between 1902 when Annie KILBRIDE was born and 1905 when Phoebe MORRIS was born, Mary Ellen KILBRIDE nee KIMBER leaves her husband and sets up house with Harry MORRIS.

Comment

cbcarolyn

Your spreadsheet was worth doing. It has identified 2 siblings for Mary Ellen Those with mms HANDLEY or HANLEY are the right family.
                                    HANDLEY Margaret KIMBER James 1876 Stockport Civil Marriage or Registrar Attended
                                    Probably another St Joseph R.C. Stockport wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                      1911 census 2 Marple View Stockport, Stockport, Cheshire, England
                                      Michael Kilbride Head Married Male 55 1856 General Hawker Cheshire Stockport
                                      Mary Kilbride Wife Married Female 48 1863 - Cheshire Stockport
                                      Emanuel Kilbride Son Married Male 35 1876 Scourer Hat Works Cheshire Stockport
                                      Annie Kilbride Granddaughter Married Female 9 1902 At School Cheshire Stockport
                                      Mary was Michael’s 2nd wife
                                      KILBRIDE Michael CARROLL Mary 1895 Stockport Civil Marriage or Registrar Attended Stockport
                                      The first wife was called Jane and she was Emanuel’s mother.
                                      KILLBRIDE * Michael ECCLESTON Jane 1873 Heaton Norris, St Thomas Stockport ST7/9/66
                                      KILLBRIDE * Michael NEWTON Jane 1873 Heaton Norris, St Thomas
                                      Emanuel’s birth. The mms of NEWTON should, I think have been recorded as ECCLESTON as in the 1881 census, MICHAEL has a stepson called Robert NEWTON
                                      KILLBROYD Emanuel Edward NEWTON 1875 Stockport Second Stockport ST2/35/2
                                      The child called Annie born 1902 who is granddaughter to Michael is actually Emanuel KILBRIDE and Mary Ellen KIMBER’s only child. The image shows that the enumerator has made a bit of a mess listing who Annie belongs to - red scoring out marks.
                                      KILBRIDE, ANNIE KIMBER
                                      GRO Reference: 1902 J Quarter in STOCKPORT Volume 08A Page 60
                                      Now, you will have spotted that Mary Ellen KILBRIDE nee KIMBER is not at home in 1911. I can’t find her anywhere else either although my brain could be getting overloaded. Can somebody else please double check her? but I’m pretty certain she’s in Frodsham.

Emanuel and Mary Ellen are together in 1901 with no children, just their two selves.

Now previously I said that the Mary Ellen / Mary Helen / Maria Helena (baptism) KIMBER who married Emanuel Edward KILBRIDE could not be your Ellen KIMBER wife of Harry MORRIS as Emanuel and Ellen are still together in 1939 Register.
                                      Well, that turns out to be a different Ellen altogether! It is this pair who are 73 Richardson Street, Stockport in 1939.
                                      KILBRIDE Emanuel Edward BOWETT Ellen 1936 Stockport, St Thomas Stockport ST19/9/129
                                      St Thomas is the same church where Michael KILBRIDE married his 2nd wife. Its correct name and location is St Thomas the Apostle, Heaton Chapel and it’s Church of England. Perhaps the KILBRIDE family was not Roman Catholic or perhaps they lapsed? The KIMBER family were and the CARROLL family likely were which explains one marriage each for Michael and Emanuel in each faith.

My theory is that sometime between 1902 when Annie KILBRIDE was born and 1905 when Phoebe MORRIS was born, Mary Ellen KILBRIDE nee KIMBER leaves her husband and sets up house with Harry MORRIS.
                                      Yes looking at all this work you have done I think your theory holds weight.I have this Mary Ellen Kimber in my notes & I agree that it looks as though this is the Ellen Kimber who
                                      was with Harry Morris.
                                      In the 1891c Harry Morris is at Dale Street Ashton under Lyne with his father James & brother Arthur
                                      In the 1901c he is still living in Ashton under Lyne age 21

Sometime between then & the 1911c Harry moved to Frodsham where he lived with Ellen as his wife & the two children Emma & Arthur.

​Bettyespana

Comment

Baptism?

Name: Mary Helen Kimber
                                        Baptism Date: 24 Dec 1882
                                        Baptism Place: St. Joseph's, Stockport, Cheshire, England
                                        Father:
                                        James Kimber
                                        Mother:
                                        Margaret Hanley
                                        FHL Film Number: 2068242
                                        Reference ID: item 3-5

Birth ref just in case you do want to order her b/cert/pdf

Name: Mary Ellen Kimber
                                        Registration Year: 1883
                                        Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
                                        Registration District: Stockport
                                        Inferred County: Cheshire
                                        Volume: 8a
                                        Page: 58

Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X