No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Received into the Church" is an expression used for someone baptised elsewhere: either by private (or even emergency - as in deathly ill at birth) baptism, or by baptism into a different denomination, where the baptism has been recognised as valid, so avoiding the heresy of re-baptising.

The Stoneham/-house thing could easily happen where someone's PoB is being recorded in Hants rather than Devon. I have a similar case where someone bron in Lymington (Hants) has PoB recorded as "Leamington", in a census some distance away. Royal Leamington Spa is a larger place than Lymington, so more well-known, especially for people who don't know south coast villages.

I'll go back through the posts, here, if I remember when I get home, to see if there's enough info... I may be able to find something among the Devon info I have... a PM to me might be a good way to remind me - say on 30 April or thereabouts?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Christine, The writing in the column next to the Baptism definately said 'Received into the congregation Would that mean the same as 'received into the Church' then?

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley and Christine,
        I did sight the query / reply in another thread regarding "Received into the congregation". That makes sense but so does Christine's reply.
        Mary Anne Lavinia CAMPBELL's marriage cert. states she was Roman Catholic, ST. MARY's is a Protestant church isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by caddie51 View Post
          Hi Deb,
          Could this be your elusive marriage?
          John MONTGOMERY married Sally JACKMAN 29th June 1820 ALVERSTOKE, HAMPSHIRE (LDS Batch number: M073577)
          Hi Caddie,
          Thanks for the reply, looks like it's a possibility I reckon. Could explain why some entries are "Sally" and some are "Sarah" for their daughter. Will ask Lesley if she can get a copy of this marriage cause the only information I have is from James Montgomery's baptism that Lesley sent me and it said that John was a Mariner so if the marriage has John as a Mariner it could be that I've found my Gr-gr-gr-Grandparents marriage.
          Cheers, Deb

Comment

• Hi Deb,

Have added the marriage of John Montgomery and Sally Jackman to my list for you!

Can't promise such a fast response as last time as I have a busy week next week but will get back to you asap!

Lesley.

Comment

• Caddie 51.

Have made a note of your interests and will take a look at the Study Centre for you.

Like I have said to DebOZ, Have a busy week next week but will be down the Study Centre as soon as I can for you.

The images are available for copying but sometimes they are not very clear and copy badly. Also, they come at a cost. If the people are definate ancestors of yours and the fiche is good enough to copy, then I do not mind copying and scanning to you.

Lesley

Lesley
              Last edited by Punchs mum; 20-04-12, 07:36.

Comment

• Hello Lesley,
                Thank you, no we cannot be sure this Alice CONNERY was Mary Ann Lavinia's Mother.
                We discovered the entry below on ENG-HAMPSHIRE archives, a long shot, maybe one of the Alice CONNERY / LINGWOOD / FITZGERALD marriages may mention Thomas CONNERY as being a hairdresser.

CONNERY, Mary Ann Lavinia, b.31 May, 1801, Gosport, received into the
                congregation 13 Oct, 1822. Parents: Thomas (hairdresser) and Alice.

(http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-04/0987338589)

Comment

• Hello Christine,
                  We have just received the 1870 birth certificate of Mary Anne Lavinia CAMPBELL's daughter, Mary Anne Lavinia CAMPBELL stated she was born STONEHAM, DEVONSHIRE, ENGLAND.
                  Regards,
                  Caddie

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                    Hi Deb,

Have added the marriage of John Montgomery and Sally Jackman to my list for you!

Can't promise such a fast response as last time as I have a busy week next week but will get back to you asap!

Lesley.
                    Thanks Lesley, whenever you get a chance. It's just great that there are people like you who will do this for the rest of us, it's very much appreciated!!!

Cheers, Deb

Comment

• DebOz Lookup.

Hi Deb.

Not a lot of luck re your family!

Baptism John Montgomery 27/5/1821 born 4/5/1821 Parent John, a Mariner mother Sarah.

Baptism Sally Montgomery 25/5/1823 born 2/4/1823 Parents John, a Carpenter, mother Sally.

Marriage of John Montgomery to Sally Jackman 29/6/1820 did not give any previous marital status or name of Parents. Information around this era is very minimal. Witness were John Coleman and Mary J?***ffy (not very clear at all)

Again, baptisms and marriage were at St. Marys Alverstoke.

Sorry no real beneficial information there!

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Caddie51

Again re your requests, not much information for you.

Robert Lingwood marriage to Alice Connery was a very feint fiche and there were no parents names mentioned.

Peter Fitzgerald married Alice Lingwood by Banns with consent of Patrick Fitzgerald. on 8/3/1825. No parents names mentioned, Witness were Patrick Fitzgerald and Mary Wilson.

Both marriages were St. Marys Alverstoke.

Alice Lingwood buried 10/4/1837 aged 63 Holy Trinity. Gosport.
                        Peter Fitzgerald buried 8/4/1826 aged 40. Holy Trinity. Gosport

Sorry I am not the bearer of more info for you!

Lesley.

Comment

• Hello Lesley,
                          Thank you so much for the prompt reply, it seems this lot are going to keep us guessing.
                          Caddie.

Comment

• Thanks Lesley for the really quick response!!!

Would it be possible to get copies of John's Baptism and the Montgomery/Jackman marriage when you're down the Study Centre next, it's just so that I can put a copy of these in my Family History folder (it doesn't matter if the copies aren't real good I might be able to use Photoshop to enhance them then print them)?

Deb

Comment

• Hi Deb.

Will get copies for you as soon as I can

Lesley

Comment

• Thanks again for the copies Lesley, they were very much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Deb

Comment

• Another BIG BIG thank you to Lesley for looking up parish records for me - what you do is much appreciated!

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
                                    It is me again, please would it be possible for to you look up the marriage [from Family search[ of Elizabeth Riddett to Emanuel Matthews 5 June 1849, the grooms father was Emanuel Matthews, no brides father was given , I am hoping it is William as this is the only marriage found that fits, my Elizameth was from Carisbrooke IOW.
                                    Thank you,
                                    Ann E

Comment

• Hi Ann E

Will check it out for you when I am in the Study Centre next.
                                      Keep checking back on the thread.

Lesley.

Comment

• Look up for Ann E

Hi Ann,

Not good news I'm afraid. The marriage cert.for Elizabeth showed a blank space where her fathers name and profession should be. The marriage was by Licence and the witness were R A Lacy and Sarah Munday. Emanuel was a Mariner if that helps!! Both of full age.

Sounds like she either didn't know her father or maybe she disowned him! Never seen a blank space on Marriage cert. before!!

Lesley

Ann. I think R A Lacy was the Parish Clerk as the name appears on another certificae.
                                        Last edited by Punchs mum; 16-06-12, 18:19. Reason: added to post

Comment

• Thank you very much Lesley that is very good of you, Maybe her father didn’t approve of Emanuel & that is why she married in Alverstoke! she is the only contender Elizabeth was at home in 1841, there is no Elizabeth the right age or birth place in the 1851 census.
                                          Thanks again,
                                          Ann E
                                          Last edited by Ann E; 18-06-12, 21:41.

Comment

Working...
                                          X