Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look up for Raywhit42

Better late than never Ray,

Scans of Baptisms for Charles Whitcombe and George Whitcombe will be in the post probably tomorrow.

Burial of Sarah Whitcome showed no age of death. It was in fact, 27-6-1808

James Whitcombe and Sarah were both of the Parish and married by Banns
    witness were ? Flowers and J. Gear (I think the Parish Clerk) Both signed the marriage cert.

William Flowers Whitcombe marriage to Henrietta Clarissa Freed both of this Parish, by Banns, with the consent of Wm Freed (his Mark)
    Witness were Wm. Freed and Joseph Gear. Wm.Flowers Whitcombe signed H.C. Freed (her mark)

Baptism of William Dickson Whitcombe mother Emma of Hardway born 22/10/1832. Proffesion of father was blank!! Baptisted by H A Veck (or Vick) emcumbent of St. Johns. The baptism was at St. Marys Alverstoke.

Not a lot of extra information there but hope it helps.

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thanks for the look ups. It is very interesting that there were
      two Whitcomb baptisms on the fiche you found, it does tie the
      families together - another bit of 'useful' information.

As for William Dickson "Whitcomb", I suspect a bit of an affair/ scandal at the time!
      I wonder if anyone with Gosport / Portsmouth connections
      could shed some light on this, or come up with a 'theory' ??? Perhaps in
      the Hampshire Telegraph, although at that time I would think that
      any such 'revelations' would have resulted in 'Pistols at Twenty Paces', unlike now
      when only an Parliamentary committee is set up!!!

Ray

Comment

• Hello Punchs Mum,
        I am seeking assistance with Peter Miller and his wife Elizabet Talbu(r)t who were married at Holy Trinity, Gosport. I suspect but cannot prove that Peter is the father of Thomas Miller who was christened at the same church. If so, Peter remarried (Sarah) before the 1841 census. The Millers have been sea-farers through the years.
        There are several members of ancestry.com with an interest in this but so far nobody has "broken through the wall". I include some info below.
        Thanks in anticipation.
        Richard

Richard Miller PO Box 740 Irymple VIC 3498 Australia home: 0350245378 mobile:0418146817 email: millerrichardr@hotmail.com

Peter Miller

England Marriages, 1538–1973

spouse: Elizabeth Talburt
        marriage: 09 Apr 1807 — Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England

record title: England Marriages, 1538–1973
        groom's name: Peter Miller
        bride's name: Elizabeth Talburt
        marriage date: 09 Apr 1807
        marriage place: Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
        indexing project (batch) number: I04085-9
        system origin: England-EASy
        source film number: 1596133

#
        Peter Miller

England Marriages, 1538–1973

spouse: Elizabeth Talbut
        marriage: 09 Apr 1807 — Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England

record title: England Marriages, 1538–1973
        groom's name: Peter Miller
        bride's name: Elizabeth Talbut
        marriage date: 09 Apr 1807
        marriage place: Holy Trinity,Gosport,Hampshire,England
        indexing project (batch) number: M07356-4
        system origin: England-ODM
        source film number: 918897

Estimated birth year: abt 1816
        Where born: Hampshire, England

Civil Parish: Chilbolton
        Hundred: Wherwell (Lower Half)
        County/Island: Hampshire

Street address:

View image

Registration district: Andover
        Sub-registration district: Longparish
        Neighbors: View others on page
        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Peter Miller 60
        Sarah Miller 60
        Thomas Miller 25
        Morey Miller 20
        Robert Carter 50

Comment

• Hello Richard,
          Welcome to FTF.

Will see what I can find for you but it probably won't be until next week now.

Have you see this Thomas Miller?

name: Thomas Miller
          baptism/christening date: 18 Jan 1815
          baptism/christening place: HOLY TRINITY,GOSPORT,HAMPSHIRE,ENGLAND
          father's name: Peter Miller
          mother's name: Elizabeth
          indexing project (batch) number: C07356-3
          source film number: 918896

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
            Hello Richard,
            Welcome to FTF.

Will see what I can find for you but it probably won't be until next week now.

Have you see this Thomas Miller?

name: Thomas Miller
            baptism/christening date: 18 Jan 1815
            baptism/christening place: HOLY TRINITY,GOSPORT,HAMPSHIRE,ENGLAND
            father's name: Peter Miller
            mother's name: Elizabeth
            indexing project (batch) number: C07356-3
            source film number: 918896

Hi Lesley,
            Thanks for the very swift reply. I have seen this information.
            cheers
            Richard

Comment

• Hi,
              Is it possible for you to do a look up for me? My husband and I are really struggling with his family tree - cannot get past his gt grandfather which is very frustrating. We know that Alfred S Jackson married Lavinia Ellen Hobbs in 4q 1915 according to the BMD records. However we are unable to find any further information on Alfred S Jackson (birth or death). I am hoping that is someone is able to look up the parish records for this marriage they will be able to tell us the name of Alfred's father. (We have Lavinia's father as Isaac Hobbs).
              Also we are looking for whether this couple had any other children. We have George Alfred Lawrence Jackson born 24th January 1919 (a baptism record would be helpful if possible).
              Thanks for any help that anyone can give. Sooz

Comment

• Originally posted by SoozJackson View Post
                Hi,
                Is it possible for you to do a look up for me? My husband and I are really struggling with his family tree - cannot get past his gt grandfather which is very frustrating. We know that Alfred S Jackson married Lavinia Ellen Hobbs in 4q 1915 according to the BMD records. However we are unable to find any further information on Alfred S Jackson (birth or death). I am hoping that is someone is able to look up the parish records for this marriage they will be able to tell us the name of Alfred's father. (We have Lavinia's father as Isaac Hobbs).
                Also we are looking for whether this couple had any other children. We have George Alfred Lawrence Jackson born 24th January 1919 (a baptism record would be helpful if possible).
                Thanks for any help that anyone can give. Sooz
                Hello Sooz, welcome to the forum.

it might be that Alfred married Lavinia in a registry office, in which case you will not get anything from the PRs, do you have his Birth Cert at all? this would give his parents details..

I would also think that there WILL be a birth record for Alfred, as when the law was tightened in 1875 almost ALL births were registered.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• is this your tree on Ancestry Sooz? http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/197...rson/938015622
                  Julie

Comment

• By having a look through the Census, I can tell you that Alfreds father was Benjamin Jackson. b. 1853 Macclesfield, Cheshire. He dies between 1891-1901 as Mary A is showing as a widow in the 1901 census.
                    Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      By having a look through the Census, I can tell you that Alfreds father was Benjamin Jackson. b. 1853 Macclesfield, Cheshire. He dies between 1891-1901 as Mary A is showing as a widow in the 1901 census.
                      Hi, thanks for the responses. Yes I have attached those census to my tree with Benjamin as his father. I am really not convinced that its the right family - hence wanting to have a look at the parish records to check the father of Alfred is actually Benjamin. The 1891 census shows Alfred EDWARD not Alfred Sidney, but the 1901 just shows Alfred - I know that Alfred Sidney Jackson is definately the father of George Alfred Lawrence Jackson as we have his birth certificate. I cannot find any BMD record for Alfred Sidney or death record? Perhaps he changed his name.

My tree on ancestry for the Jacksons is named Jacko's tree (the link you gave didnt work?) - under JoshJackson. I have done extensive research on the Gowlett tree which has taken me about a year, but it has been easier because of the rarity of the surname and the ease of access to parish records in Essex online, just really hitting some brick walls with the whole Jackson family - very frustrating and certainly in need of help!

Any help you can give would be great. thanks, Sooz

Comment

• Sooz,

I will have a look at the Parish Records for the Marriage of Alfred Jackson and Lavinia Hobbs when I go to town next. Probably sometime next week.

Like Julie says though, if it is a Registry Office marriage there will not be a record at the Study Centre. It would mean purchasing the Marriage cert yourself....at a cost!!

Lesley

Comment

• Sooz
                          Looks like this is the marriage

page 147 no 293 Oct 2 1915 Alfred Sydney JACKSON 27 bachelor Band Sergeant HMS Iron Duke & Lavinia Ellen HOBBS 21 spinster Dress maker 3 Ferry cottages Weevil Lane Gosport after banns both signed fathers Alfred JACKSON Clerk in Bank & Isaac HOBBS Ferryman in the presence of Isaac JACKSON Ellen HOBBS & George Lawrence HOBBS

Just found this on Knightroots web site. Marriage was at St. Matthews Gosport.

Lesley
                          Last edited by Punchs mum; 17-02-12, 20:42. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                            Sooz
                            Looks like this is the marriage

page 147 no 293 Oct 2 1915 Alfred Sydney JACKSON 27 bachelor Band Sergeant HMS Iron Duke & Lavinia Ellen HOBBS 21 spinster Dress maker 3 Ferry cottages Weevil Lane Gosport after banns both signed fathers Alfred JACKSON Clerk in Bank & Isaac HOBBS Ferryman in the presence of Isaac JACKSON Ellen HOBBS & George Lawrence HOBBS

Just found this on Knightroots web site. Marriage was at St. Matthews Gosport.

Lesley
                            HI Lesley,
                            Thank you so much, this confirms my gut instinct that Benjamin was NOT his father. One mystery solved, now we have to find the census for the right Jackson family. I went onto the knightroots website and must have missed that marriage! Thanks again, your help has been much appreciated. Sooz

Comment

• Have spent the last 45 minutes looking for a birth of Alfred Sydney Jackson and cannot find one at all... Also searched for his naval records and he doesnt seem to have any records there either! All very confusing and difficult! If you have any advice on how to proceed I would be ever so grateful. Sooz

Comment

• Sooz, now that you have the marriage and a bit more information, can I suggest you start a new thread in our Family History Research forum - give us what you have got and let's see if we can help. If it is left on here it will get muddled with the look up requests for Alverstoke.
                                Elaine

Comment

• Lookup for millerrichardr.

Hi Richard.

Have been to Study Centre this afternoon and this is what I have found.

Hope it doesn't confuse you even more. Plenty of Millers in Gosport around the early 1800's!!

Marriage at Holy Trinity on 9/4/1807.
                                  Peter Miller to Elizabeth Talburt both of this Parish by Banns.
                                  Witness Ric. Welch (I assume Parish Clerk as he appeared on more records) and Elizabeth ? Bull(/Bill/Bell). Was not easy to read.

Baptisms now. All at Holy Trinity.

Miller Thomas and John Twin sons of Thomas and Sarah 5/9/1804
                                  " William s/o Thomas and Mary 21/10/1804
                                  " Frederick s/o Peter and Elizabeth 12/10/1806
                                  " William s/o Thomas and Mary 22/9/1805
                                  " Sarah d/o Peter and Elizabeth Born.2/6/1807 Bapt. 11/10/1807
                                  " Mary Ann d/o Thomas and Mary 17/9/1810
                                  " Thomas s/o Peter and Elizabeth Born 10/12/1804 Bapt.18/1/1805
                                  Thomas was a Mariner
                                  " John s/o Thomas and Mary 25/8/1815
                                  Thomas was a Mariner.

Hope you can gain something from all this.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
                                    Sorry for the delay in contacting you... I am in the process of selling the family home and moving to a new location.
                                    Thanks for the info on Thomas Miller and Elizabeth Talbut. I have managed to find records on-line and there are more offspring! You have confirmed that I (and others) are on the right track. The brick wall is birth information about Peter and Elizabeth... and who were their parents. It seems likely that Thomas Miller was the brother of Peter Miller... but this cannot be assumed. The Talbuts may not have been of the parish. How is it that women were giving birth at sea... did they live on the ships?
                                    I am not confused but I am very curious. I don't know enough about anything. How should I procede? Living in Australia makes a visit to the archives unlikely in the near future.
                                    cheers and thanks again
                                    Richard

Comment

• Richard,

Why don't you try asking for some help on the Research Thread. There are some very experienced researchers who could help you more than I can!

If you need any more help checking Parish Records at Gosport/Alverstoke, I am here to do what I can in that direction.

Lesley
                                      Last edited by Punchs mum; 08-03-12, 07:21.

Comment

• Hi this is Ann E, you very kindly helped me before, Please can you help me again ? If so please can you look for two sisters marriage,

Marriages Mar 1905 BAMPTON Helen Louise Alverstoke & Colwell William John Alverstoke

Marriages Mar 1908 BAMPTON Rose Lydia Alverstoke & BYLES Joseph Robert Alverstoke
                                        Thank you,
                                        Ann E

Comment

• Hello Ann E

Have been to SC this afternoon and didn't get your request until I got home. Never mind, will check those marriages for you ASAP. Just hope they are not Registry Office!

Keep checking back to this thread.

Lesley
                                          Last edited by Punchs mum; 08-03-12, 14:57.

Comment

Working...
                                          X