No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No problem Ray.....you're not too late!!

Lesley.

Comment

• Originally posted by raywhit1942 View Post
      One other thing, a general comment / enquiry aimed at other users of this particular thread, is that
      does anyone know of a researcher who may do a similar look up service for Portses / Portsmouth.

Ray
      Ray - forgive me if you know this, but any records that feature in Familysearch are available to view at any LDS Centre and as you are in NW London you are close to the London Family History Centre (temporarily relocated to Kew) so Portsea / Portsmouth should be straightforward.

Of course, Lesley is indispensable especailly when it comes to late C19 and C20 Alverstoke / Gosport records that are NOT on Familysearch!

Like you I wish there was a 'Lesley' in Portsea / Portsmouth!
      Last edited by Bertie; 12-12-12, 08:27.

Comment

• If anyone can get to Winchester - the Hampshire Records Office does have copies of a number of fiches that are more specific to Southampton, Portsmouth and Southsea.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Hi Bertie & Christine,

Thanks for the feedback. I've looked into using the LDS at Kew, but it seems that the the LDS records for Portsmouth are based on Bishop's Transcripts. Although the Bishops Transcripts obviously follow, or enhance, the original Parish Church records they are 'transcriptions' in themselves and things of interest like signatures will be absent. The record I was looking for was that of my 4g Grandfather who married for a 2nd time in Portsea. As this was a 'keystone' in my family tree I wished to inspect a genuine example of the marriage cert'. In the end I weighed up the various methods open to me and opted for the Hampshire Record Office at Winchester who offer a reasonably priced postal service. Having got the cert' I was able to match the signature of said 4g Grandfather to signatures on some legal documents I'd obtained earlier from the National Archives, thus 'cementing' his connection to earlier branches of the family.

May I take this opportunity of thanking Lesley for her untiring services at the Gosport records centre which have greatly facilitated my, and many others, in family research.

Wishing all a merry Christmas

Ray

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Having found a few possible leads in my research I would like you to look up the following marriage with special reference to any witnesses.

groom's name: George Tubbs
            bride's name: Nelly Catherine Kennedy
            marriage date: 02 Jan 1828
            marriage place: Alverstoke,

Also, and this is one you've looked up before for me, but I would like you to email a scan so I can see the signature of witness George Whitcomb

Bride: SARAH ANN WHITCOMB
            Spouse: WILLIAM LOCK
            25 NOV 1822 Alverstoke,

No hurry, after Christmas will be OK.

Wishing a merry Christmas

Ray

Comment

• Hi again Lesley

Just found this, could you confirm its true?

Emma Castieu, "England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991"

name: Emma Castieu
              burial date: 01 May 1835
              burial place: Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

That's all, past my bed time!

Toodlepip

Ray

Comment

• Morning Ray,

Will take a look for you as soon as I can. Like you say, will probably be after Christmas now.

"Toodlepip"....LOL. That used to be one of my mothers expressions....haven't heard that said for a long time!!!!

Have a good Christmas and many thanks for your acknowlegment in post 744 above. I enjoy what I do or or I wouldn't do it!!

Lesley.

Comment

• Ray. I have replied to you via your private e mail address.

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
                    I would be most grateful if you could find anything on my gr-gr-gr-grandmother, Jane Powell. She married John William Murray at St Mary's Alverstoke (20/5/1819) and I believe she was born there about 1799. Any information on parents etc. would be wonderful.
                    Many thanks,
                    Tony

Comment

• Hi Tony,

Will take a look for you to see what I can find as soon as I can. Unfortunately the Study Centre is closed until the 17th Jan. for minor refurbishment so it won't be until after then!

Welcome to the Forum!

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Me again! When you next return to the Study Centre could please look up and email me a scan for the following baptism:

Alice Whitcomb
                        baptism/christening date: 03 May 1860
                        baptism/christening place: Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

father's name: Thomas Whitcomb
                        mother's name: Mary

Some time ago you kindly did a scan for a Walter Whitcomb, who was baptised on the same day / place. He was Alice's brother
                        - both children having been baptised together. (buy one get one free??)

Unfortunately the particular page of the parish book starts with Walter on the 3rd May, and Alice must be on the previous page, so in this
                        case no special offer!

I'm in the process of cataloging Alice's very interesting life and family connections, and it would be nice to have a copy of her birth / baptism.

Many Thanks

Ray

Comment

• Hi Ray,

No problem, will do! Haven't forgotten your request for the burial record of Emma Castieau either.

Will be in touch as soon as possible.

Lesley.

Comment

• Thanks, Lesley, much appreciated.
                            Tony

Comment

• Alverstoke/Gosport look ups

Unfortunately, am unable to do any look-ups at the Study Centre at the moment due to it still being closed!

The Website states that it will confirm the new opening date as soon as possible.

Sorry folks this is out of my hands!

Will resume 'business' as soon as possible.

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Tony Nunn

Hi Tony,

Not much for you I'm afraid. I found the Parish record for John Murray and Jane Powell but marriage records of that era do not have any information on parents names.

The marriage was by banns at St.Marys Alverstoke on 20/5/1818 as you already know.

Both were stated 'Of this Parish' and signed the register. Witness were John Gear who appears on a lot of marriage records and I assume is the Parish Clerk and the other was Rachel Lear?/Leon?/Lean?? Sorry I could not read it properly.

With regards to Janes birth. I assume you have seen on Family Search the Jane Powell born to Tabitha Thorne on 5/5/1799. Would seem no father mentioned at Baptism.

Sorry I am unable to find more for you.

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley,

Thanks for looking for me. I'm a little surprised that they were both "of this parish". John Murray was a seaman and family tradition has it that he came from Whitley Bay, but perhaps he was living in Alverstoke temporarily (they later moved to the IoW and finally settled in Lymington where he was landlord of the Ship Inn).

No, I haven't seen the Jane Powell entry on Family Search, though I'm sure I've looked for her. I'll have another look.

Thanks again,
                                  Tony

Comment

• Hi I am looking for any thing on a Harry Skeats born Gosport? 1897 mother could have been called Fanny, have his army records but nothing before 1915 I have tried the census but no luck.

thank you Annabel

Comment

• Lesley does fantastic work, but she will need a bit more information even to get started with your query I think.

What concrete information do you have - for example why do you state he might be born Gosport - I can see no record on FreeBMD from a quick look for any birth of SKEATS that is Harry or Henry in the whole of Hampshire.

Anything you can add may help

Comment

• Sorry that is all his family know about him, Gosport place of birth on his army records on Ancestry, Harry Skeats he was always called, never talked about his younger days, family rumour his father was a policeman who was killed, Harry married in Witney after WW1 he worked on the railway, sorry no more to tell.

thank you Annabel

Comment

• OK - found his records. Main details:

Harry SKEATS
                                          Private RAMC #90532
                                          Enlisted 01 Apr 1913, first joined for duty at Swindon
                                          Age in Apr 1913: 18y 5m
                                          Born Gosport, Hants
                                          Discharged Feb 1919
                                          Previous employment: GWR, Swindon, Railway Fitter's Labourer
                                          Address as Manor Farm, Yelford, Witney, Oxon

Based on that: he is poss.
                                          Harry SKEATES born Q4 1893 Alverstoke (includes Gosport)
                                          Harry SKEATES married Q4 1919 Witney to Ethel STEVENS
                                          Harry SKEATES died Q2 1977 Oxford, born 12 Oct 1895

He is poss. the H SKEATES a Fitter's Mate, GWR, at Oxford Station 07 Apr 1919

Comment

Working...
                                          X