No announcement yet.

Suffolk RO Lookups - Ongoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many thanks Glen - I can see I'll have to get my thinking cap on again. I wonder if Sarah and Catherine were related?! I don't have Catherines Baptism yet - I may get on to you again some time

Thanks again

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• Originally posted by Laurence View Post
      Hi Glen,
      If you have time, I would be grateful if you can find the following births to confirm the actual dates & places:

John Driver (my gt-grandfather) born Westhall or Holton 1833 - 1835. I have a christening date of 26 Jan 1834 (IGI) but his gravestone gives an age of 47 at death in July 1882.

Henry Driver (John's father) born Blyford (?) about 1799 (christened 28 Jan 1799 Holton (IGI) if this is the right one)

Isabel Driver (John's daughter) born Westhall 1865 ? (age 5 in 1871 census) (christened 25 Dec 1865 - IGI)

Thanks very much.
      Laurence.
      Here are the entries in the PRs. No birth dates were recorded.
      Holton St Peter
      John DRIVER Henry/Elizabeth Holton Lab. 26/1/1834

Henry Briggs DRIVER Nathaniel/Elizabeth (BRIGGS) 28/1/1799

Don't know if you have this.
      Nathaniel DRIVER S Husbandman Elizabeth BRIGGS S botp Banns 22/4/1783
      Wit: James WADE Rachel GODFREY All made their mark.

Westhall

Isabel Elizabeth DRIVER John/Elizabeth (WOODARD) Westhall Farmer 25/12/1865
      Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by ayse View Post
        Dear Glen
        My G?? Grandmother Harriot Smith born or christened 25/5/1828 Monk Soham, Suffolk. I believe her parents were Samuel Smith and Phaebe Noble born 1781 Monk Soham. Is there anything either in Harriot's chr. or birth details that would give a lead as to who this Samuel Smith could have been. Any info on Samuel Smith born about 1800, Harriot's father or anything else about his family would be great.

Thank you for the offer. I know it's first come etc.

Ayse
        I'm not sure if I've messed up your request or not. I checked Harriott's baptism & then the marriages of the 2 Samuel SMITHs to see if the witnesses would help to indicate who was who. Matthew NOBLE was a witness on your Samuel's entry which confirms Phoebe but then I don't know if I looked for Samuel SMITH baptisms & couldn't find any or just forgot to look.

Checking the 1861 Census though, I see he is down as being born in Bedingfield so I'll check both places next time.
        Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          Many thanks Glen - I can see I'll have to get my thinking cap on again. I wonder if Sarah and Catherine were related?! I don't have Catherines Baptism yet - I may get on to you again some time

Thanks again

Linda
          Orford

Catherine KNIGHTS John/Sarah (MOOR) b. 21/5/1803 bapt. 1/1/1804
          Glen

Comment

• Ooh, thanks very much Glen, that's great.

Linda
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• Originally posted by fran View Post
              Thank you for the offer.if you have the time could you please look for the baptisms of;
              John PRYKE born Great Cornard 1794 give or take a year.
              Elizabeth Everard born Glemsford 1797 +/-
              Fran
              Gt Cornard

John PRYKE J?????/Ann (RUDDOCK) 31/8/1794 Wouldn't bet my life on the date.

Glemsford

Elizabeth EVERID Abraham/Mary 21/5/1797

Abraham EVERIT B Mary HARTLEY S Banns 14/12/1793
              Wit: John JOHNSON James TWIN Only John & James signed
              Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                Hi Glen,

Please could you see if you can find Elizabeth Reeve born c1746 Market Weston. She married Thomas Ruddock in 1768 Market Weston.

Also, if time allows, John Ruddock and Mary Clears married c1742 (possibly Market Weston). They had the following children (although this information is from a submitted entry on igi and only offers the year of birth no christening dates), I think: John 1739, Mary, 1745, Thomas 1748, Richard 1748, Hannah 1755, and Jonathon 1757 again may be Market Weston but on the other hand might not! I am not expecting miracles on this one!!

Sandra
                Market Weston

No sign of Elizabeth REEVE.

John RUDDOCK Mary CLEERS 29/12/1742

John the illegitimate son of John RUDDOCK/Mary CLEARS 20/5/1739
                Mary 23/6/1745
                Richard & Thomas 20/11/1748
                Hannah 5/5/1754 - 17/5/1754
                Jonathan 10/4/1757

Buried

Mary RUDDOCK wife John 16/7/1765
                John RUDDOCK 14/9/1800 A good innings if this is correct.

I believe John remarried in 1769 to Mary DISSDEL a widow of Hopton. Didn't take down full details as didn't know first Mary died at the time.

Do you have the Norton burials for Tom & Liz?
                Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                  Hi Glen,

If you have time, could you please look for the baptism of James Harden in Lackford about 1778 (the family name later changed to Harding but I'm fairly sure it will be Harden at this time), also any siblings if it's not too much to ask for.

Many thanks, Jane
                  Lackford

HARDEN The first child has parents William & Judith; the rest William & Dinah.
                  Ann 26/4/1772
                  John 20/3/1774
                  Thomas 10/3/1776
                  James 8/3/1778
                  Charles 9/6/1780
                  Alice 12/1/1783

Burials
                  Dinah 74 1/9/1815
                  William 87 23/11/1827
                  James 83 8/7/1860
                  Glen

Comment

• Thank you so much Glen.Very kind of you.
                    Fran

Comment

• Hi Glen,

Thanks for the information. You managed to find more information than I expected. I do have the burials for Tom and Liz.

Sandra

Comment

• Thanks very much Glen for the DRIVER info. Some new details and others confirmed.

Laurence.

Comment

• Thank you so much Glen. That confirms what I suspected - that William was married twice, but I didn't know which children belonged to which wife and there are two children I didn't know about.

Jane

Comment

• Hi Glen,

Next time you go to Suffolk Records Office would you follow up the possible second marriage of John Ruddock and Mary Dissdel c1769.

Many thanks, I really do appreciate all your research.

Sandra

Comment

• Glen,
                              Can I be a pest and ask you if J..... Pryke had that many letters in his name,or did you put a random number of dots?
                              Thanks
                              Fran

Comment

• Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                I'm not sure if what I've found is of much use to you but here goes.

1) Did not appear to.
                                2) Not in this register.
                                3) 1783 is a possibility but 1789 would have been too old to be the mother. I searched the available resources & there was nothing but wills are so complex, I'd give the RO a call.
                                4) The film is basically good although some parts are difficult to read but I didn’t notice any blank pages. Genealogical Society Library Ref: 952204 SRO-BU Ref: J552/17
                                Starts with Tuddenham St Mary , then Walsham-Led-Willows
                                Bapt. 1539-1839 Marriage 1539-1837 Banns 1754-1812 Burials 1539-1856 There are also Terriers for several years .
                                James,

thanks for your time and very detailed response. There are some very useful pointers in what you say - will think about it more deeply over the weekend.
                                I hope you had some success of your own!
                                Kind regards,
                                William
                                Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

• Sandra,

Shall do although it probably won't be until June/July.

Fran

The rest of the word just wasn't there. I felt the gap was too big to be John but I really have no idea. I looked at the fiche in Lowestoft; I'll see if the Ipswich copy is more legible next time.
                                  Glen

Comment

• Thank you very much Glen.
                                    Fran

Comment

• Dear Oakum Picker

Thank you for the information - at least it verifies to a degree my findings that I most likely have the right Pheobe. Thank you so much for the offer of looking for Samuel in Beddingfield next time you are in the vicinity.
                                      All the best
                                      Ayse

Comment

• Dear Oakham Picker

I've found on line the following:http://www.archive.org/details/regis...aris00monkrich

Samuel Smith says he is born about 1800, whereas I found a christening for Phaebe on 17/12/1781 - it seems a very large age gap - I wonder if he was telling the truth on the census? I found Phaebe on 1851 - aged 50. I'm wondering if they are the same. I'll trawl through the book above and see if I can find anything else.

Ayse

Comment

• Ii did say I would put you up for Saint hood. Consider it done.
                                          Many thanks
                                          Sheilafromdownunder
                                          I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Working...
                                          X