Suffolk RO Lookups - Ongoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Glen

Thanks for the Wroots look up. As you say they are all connected somehow but are very illusive.

I have Rose's bap now and will press on with Sarah as they were both my relations but as Mary was only mentioned as someones wife who was a executor on Rose's husbands will, I will forget her.

Thanks again.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
      Originally Posted by Oakum Picker View Post
      Kettleburgh
      Hannah AIRY d. Benjamin/ Hannah (GALL) 25/3/1795 Priv

and the marriage from Boyds index.

1784 / GALL HAN / AIREY BEN / EARL SOHAM / SUFFOLK
      And here are the parents' burials.

Kettleburgh

Hannah AIRY 21/5/1833 Aged 79
      Benjamin AIRY 23/2/1847 Aged 89
      Last edited by Oakum Picker; 12-10-09, 00:29.
      Glen

Comment

That's brilliant, thank you so much Glen

Comment

Hi Glen I just noticed your posts thanks for the information very much appreciated.

Malcolm

Comment

Hi Glen

I wonder if you could look for the birth and parents of Mary Welton, Pettaugh 1768?

She is my direct maternal line, and as I am getting seriously into DNA genealogy now, I would like to try and push it a bit further back especially on the female line.

Thank you

Michael W (mtDNA - T1, Y-DNA- I1-uN1)

Comment

Hi Michael,

Have made a note - am in Lowestoft this weekend but not sure if I'll get into the RO. Will do it as soon as I am able.
              Glen

Comment

Thank you, Glen

Comment

And now, to another branch of my mother's family :smilee: :-)

Amos Fletcher was born about 1811, he was from Charsfield, and had brothers called William and Richard. His parents are Lawrence and Mary. As far as I know, there are no other siblings. Could you see if you could find the marriage for Lawrence and Mary, please? Oh, and a baptism for Amos, too, please, if possible.

Also, please could you see if there is a baptism for:
                  Trelawny Fletcher who was born in Charsfield 18 February 1848.
                  He was registered as Troloner Randall Fletcher. NB from the Superintendent Registrar who has been very helpful: 'Troloner' is as the register and no doubt was the registrar's interpretation of "Trelawney" said with a regional dialect!.
                  His mother is Mary Sadd.

And, finally, please could you see if there is a burial record for:
                  Lydia Fletcher whose birth was registered September quarter 1850 Woodbridge District and she was christened in Nacton, 12 August 1850. Lydia died 1856 at 6 years of age, death registered September quarter 1856 Woodbridge District. In 1851, she was age 7 months in the Woodbridge Union Workhouse in Nacton with her mother and brothers. Her mother is Mary Sadd.

Oh, just one more, please, but don't worry if you can't find it - baptism for Philip Sadd who was born in 1760 and died April 1808.
                  What I know about him and his wife (whose surname I know from children's baptisms) is:
                  Philip Sadd married Mary Taylor in St Mary's, Benhall, 2 April 1779. Philip Sadd of the Parish of Farnham, singleman, and Mary Taylor of this Parish, singlewoman. Banns called Sunday 14 March, 21 March, 28 March 1779. Witnesses: Jacob Penn, WM Block.
                  Philip died April 1808 at 48 years of age. His body was interred 15 April 1808 in St Mary's, Farnham. Philip Sadd, married Man, age 48.
                  His parents are James and Susan Sad (née Chaplin formerly Hudson). James was a yeoman, of Benhall who died in 1787; according to his will, his son Philip Sad was a yeoman of the same parish and was his executor.

I have the baptism details for all their children including my great-great-great-grandfather Jonathan Sadd 22nd May 1791 - 4th May 1874 - you may have seen my mention of the gravestone for Jonathan and Sarah in St Andrew's Church, Little Glemham, and my following of the life of their daughter Mary Ann Dyball:-

"In affectionate memory of
                  JONATHAN SADD
                  who died May 4th 1874 aged 84 years.
                  Oh the sweet joy this sentence gives,
                  I know that my redeemer lives.
                  In affectionate memory of
                  SARAH SADD
                  who died February 7th 1852 aged 62 years.
                  We part in hope to meet again.
                  Erected by their daughter Mary Ann Dyball."

Thank you very, very much.
                  Joy

Comment

Hi Joy,

Fancy seeing you here.LOL I am off to Lowestoft again this weekend but it's social so probably won't get to this as I still have some left to do from the summer. However the following week, I'm 9-5 in Ipswich & 9-7 in Lowestoft ROs so hope to finish all outstanding requests.
                    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                      And now, to another branch of my mother's family :smilee: :-)

Amos Fletcher was born about 1811, he was from Charsfield, and had brothers called William and Richard. His parents are Lawrence and Mary. As far as I know, there are no other siblings. Could you see if you could find the marriage for Lawrence and Mary, please? Oh, and a baptism for Amos, too, please, if possible.

SBI shows Amos was buried 30/8/1846 Charsfield
                      I'm assuming he was married to Mary SADD so was some chap RANDALL the children's father?

Amos & Mary buried an infant Nancy 20/3/1842 Charsfield

Mary Snr Widow was buried at Charsfield 22/5/1856 aged 76

Also, please could you see if there is a baptism for:
                      Trelawny Fletcher who was born in Charsfield 18 February 1848.
                      He was registered as Troloner Randall Fletcher. NB from the Superintendent Registrar who has been very helpful: 'Troloner' is as the register and no doubt was the registrar's interpretation of "Trelawney" said with a regional dialect!.
                      His mother is Mary Sadd.

And, finally, please could you see if there is a burial record for:
                      Lydia Fletcher whose birth was registered September quarter 1850 Woodbridge District and she was christened in Nacton, 12 August 1850. Lydia died 1856 at 6 years of age, death registered September quarter 1856 Woodbridge District. In 1851, she was age 7 months in the Woodbridge Union Workhouse in Nacton with her mother and brothers. Her mother is Mary Sadd.

Oh, just one more, please, but don't worry if you can't find it - baptism for Philip Sadd who was born in 1760 and died April 1808.
                      What I know about him and his wife (whose surname I know from children's baptisms) is:
                      Philip Sadd married Mary Taylor in St Mary's, Benhall, 2 April 1779. Philip Sadd of the Parish of Farnham, singleman, and Mary Taylor of this Parish, singlewoman. Banns called Sunday 14 March, 21 March, 28 March 1779. Witnesses: Jacob Penn, WM Block.
                      Philip died April 1808 at 48 years of age. His body was interred 15 April 1808 in St Mary's, Farnham. Philip Sadd, married Man, age 48.
                      His parents are James and Susan Sad (née Chaplin formerly Hudson). James was a yeoman, of Benhall who died in 1787; according to his will, his son Philip Sad was a yeoman of the same parish and was his executor.

I have the baptism details for all their children including my great-great-great-grandfather Jonathan Sadd 22nd May 1791 - 4th May 1874 - you may have seen my mention of the gravestone for Jonathan and Sarah in St Andrew's Church, Little Glemham, and my following of the life of their daughter Mary Ann Dyball:-

"In affectionate memory of
                      JONATHAN SADD
                      who died May 4th 1874 aged 84 years.
                      Oh the sweet joy this sentence gives,
                      I know that my redeemer lives.
                      In affectionate memory of
                      SARAH SADD
                      who died February 7th 1852 aged 62 years.
                      We part in hope to meet again.
                      Erected by their daughter Mary Ann Dyball."

Thank you very, very much.
                      Hope this helps.
                      Glen

Comment

Thank you.

Yes, Mary married Amos in Little Glemham, 31 May 1841. Charsfield Banns 16 May, 23 May, 30 May 1841 - Amos Fletcher, bachelor of the parish of Charsfield and Mary Jane Sadd of the parish of Little Glemham, spinster.
                        Both were full age and single. He was a Bricklayer, of Charsfield, father - Lawrence Fletcher, deceased. She was Jane Sadd, of Little Glemham, father - John Sadd, Labourer. She signed "Mary Jeane Sadd". Witnesses were Richard and Hannah Fletcher.
                        Amos died 25 August 1846 in Charsfield. Cause of death: Phthisis, he was age 35, Bricklayer. The informant was his wife, Mary, present at the death, of Charsfield. His body was interred 30 August 1846 in Charsfield.

Yes, their first child was Nancy - born 1841. She was christened in Charsfield, 5 September 1841, daughter of Amos and Mary (Sadd Sp), bricklayer, Charsfield. Her body was interred 20 March 1842 in Charsfield. Infant, daughter of Amos and Mary Fletcher.

I didn't know the date of burial for Amos's mother, thank you for that.

Yes, I expect that Trelawney's father had the surname Randall but I wouldn't be surprised if Trelawney always thought that Amos was his father, and I won't disillusion him :smilee:

Here are Amos, Mary etc in 1841:
                        1841 census Bricklayer, age 25, with his brother Richard, Bricklayer, age 20, mother Mary, age 60, Richard's wife Hannah, age 20, wife Mary, age 20, William, age 15, Boundary Green, Chapel Lane, Charsfield.

Their children:

Nancy was christened in Charsfield, 5 September 1841. Daughter of Amos and Mary (Sadd Sp), bricklayer, Charsfield. Her body was interred 20 March 1842 in Charsfield. Infant. Daughter of Amos and Mary Fletcher.

William was christened in Charsfield, 16 September 1842. Son of Amos and Mary (Sadd Sp), bricklayer, Charsfield. William died 5 January 1872 at 29 years of age. His body was interred 9 January 1872 in Brockley Cemetery. Grave no. P693. Age 29, son of Amos Fletcher, bricklayer. Address of person who arranged burial - Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford. 1851 census age 9, Woodbridge Union Workhouse in Nacton. 1861 census Bricklayer, age 17, b Charsfield, at Paradise, Leiston. - NB - a boarder at the home of his aunt (his mother's sister) and uncle, Emma and Thomas Horn

Arthur was christened in Charsfield, 23 October 1844. Son of Amos and Mary Ann (Sadd Sp), bricklayer, Charsfield. Arthur died 1 February 1872 at 27 years of age. Registered March qr 1872, Poplar District, age 27.
                        His body was interred 5 February 1872 in Brockley Cemetery. Grave no. P693. Age 26, son of Amos Fletcher, bricklayer. Address of person who arranged burial - Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford. 1851 census age 6, Woodbridge Union Workhouse in Nacton. 1861 census age 16, with his mother and stepfather, and stepfather's daughter and mother, and brother Trelawny Fletcher, age 13, at 1 Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford.

NB Amos's brother Richard married Mary's sister Hannah :smilee: in Charsfield, 15 November 1840. Witnesses were Amos (signed) and Mary Fletcher (x).

Here is the inscription on the gravestone for Amos:

In Affectionate Memory
                        of
                        AMOS FLETCHER
                        WHO DIED AUGUST 23RD 1846
                        AGED 34 YEARS.
                        LORD LET ME YIELD IN PEACE MY BREATH
                        AND THY SALVATION SEE.
                        MY SINS DESERVE ETERNAL DEATH
                        BUT JESUS DIED FOR ME.

ALSO OF WILLIAM FLETCHER
                        WHO DIED JANUARY 5TH 1872 AGED 29 YEARS.
                        NOT DEAD BUT SLEEPETH.

ALSO ARTHUR BROTHER OF THE ABOVE
                        WHO DIED FEBRUARY 1ST 1872 AGED 29 YEARS.
                        WE PART IN HOPE TO MEET AGAIN.

AND ALSO TRELAWNEY THEIR BROTHER
                        WHO WAS DROWNED IN THE RIVER THAMES
                        APRIL 17TH 1863 AGED 15 YEARS.
                        IN THE MIDST OF LIFE WE ARE IN DEATH.

WILLIAM, ARTHUR AND TRELAWNEY
                        ARE INTERRED IN BROCKLEY CEMETERY.

Mary had a hard life, widowed young, and in the workhouse in 1851 with young children, but she had courage and fortitude and am sure that she was very caring; she managed somehow to get down to Deptford later and married John Dyball in 1856, and later had the thoughtfulness to have the gravestones inscribed for her first husband and for her parents.
                        Last edited by Joy Dean; 23-10-09, 08:10.
                        Joy

Comment

Originally posted by MalcolmES View Post
                          Hi Glen, this is very kind of you to have an ongoing lookup for Suffolk Records Office.

On the last lookup you did for me you mentioned that.

Thomas SIMPER marries Lydia MARKWELL in Battisford in 1755 & go on to baptize 4 more children there between 1758-68.

Can you see if there is a marriage record for Thomas Simper and Lydia Markwell?
                          The children I have been given for them born in Battisford are Richard (1758-1761), John (1762-1762) and William (1765-1766). I’m not sure of the birth & death dates, can you check the dates please.

On one of the removal orders you found it mentions “For the REMOVAL of Thomas Simper, labourer, Lydia his wife, Lydia their daughter aged 21 yrs, and Poll their daughter aged 8 yrs, of Pakenham, now inhabiting the parish of Barking. May 7.” Can you see if there is anything on the two daughters?

Are there reference numbers for the two removal orders you found and can you tell me how I go about ordering them from Suffolk Records Office.

Thanks again
                          Malcolm
                          Finally remembered the marriage entry. Unfortunately the pre-printed form was not used just a one-line entry.
                          Thomas SIMPER Lydia MARKWELL both single 22/9/1755 Battisford.

The banns show that Thomas was of Pakenham & Lydia of Battisford.

After Thomas 1756 there were no other SIMPER baptisms in Pakenham.

I also found: Battisford
                          Lydia MARKWELL d. Richard/Lydia 1/11/1729
                          Also baptisms for a Mary, Thomas & Hannah if you want them.

Ipswich St Mary Stoke

Richard MARKWELL(s) of Badley Lydia SAYER(s) of the same 26/3/1727
                          Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                            Thanks for keeping me in mind, Glen.

I'm not holding my breath - the whole situation is much too vague to be a "brick wall" but it's just as much of an obstruction!

Christine
                            Finally checked both Barnigham & Lt Wratting but no sign of Harrison or indeed any COCKs in either.
                            Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                              Hi Glen,

As soon as it is convenient and you have time could you see if you could find any information re Robert Rice and Mary Mulley. They married on the 7 Oct 1786 Elmswell. I do not have any information on either of their parents or siblings but would think they come from Elmswell or neighbouring parishes.

Many thanks, Sandra
                              Elmswell

Robert RICE illegitimate son of Ann 24/1/1763
                              There were MULLEY families there but none had a Mary.

Norton

Mary MULLEY base born daughter of Mary 14/6/1767
                              Glen

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                what would the next largest parish near eye be? i dont know suffolk well, and was wondering where it would be plausible for james and hannah dove to marry.
                                They didn't marry in Stradbroke, I'll check the other contiguous parishes next week.
                                Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                  Elmswell

Robert RICE illegitimate son of Ann 24/1/1763
                                  There were MULLEY families there but none had a Mary.

Norton

Mary MULLEY base born daughter of Mary 14/6/1767
                                  Hi Glen,

Thank you for the information. What does base born mean? I have never come across this expression before!

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                                    Originally Posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                    Kettleburgh
                                    Hannah AIRY d. Benjamin/ Hannah (GALL) 25/3/1795 Priv

and the marriage from Boyds index.

1784 / GALL HAN / AIREY BEN / EARL SOHAM / SUFFOLK
                                    Here's the PR entry:
                                    Earl Soham

Benjamin AIREY sotp Hannah GALL sotp 12/10/1784
                                    Wit: Elizabeth GOODWIN J???????s AIREY Couldn't read it. Only Elizabeth signed.
                                    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Ashburnham View Post
                                      Hi Glen

I wonder if you could look for the birth and parents of Mary Welton, Pettaugh 1768?

She is my direct maternal line, and as I am getting seriously into DNA genealogy now, I would like to try and push it a bit further back especially on the female line.

Thank you

Michael W (mtDNA - T1, Y-DNA- I1-uN1)
                                      Sorry, no WELTONs in Pettaugh in that time frame.
                                      Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                        Finally checked both Barnigham & Lt Wratting but no sign of Harrison or indeed any COCKs in either.
                                        Thank you, Glen. I'm grateful for your time and effort.

A no-result may not be what I wanted, but it does serve to eliminate one lot of records from future searches.

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you for the continuing look-ups Glen. Can you please check baptisms in Henstead for me if you have time. According to the IGI (extracted), Matilda Wilson was baptised there 7 Mar 1813, daughter of Charles and Hannah Wilson. Could you kindly confirm and see if there are any siblings and possibly a marriage for Charles and Hannah.
                                          Thanks again.
                                          Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                          X