No announcement yet.

Suffolk RO Lookups - Ongoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thank you glen. if i ever find something i will let you know.

Comment

• My cousin Alf Girling will be here soon to ask for help :smilee:
      Joy

Comment

• suffolk ro lookup

If possible could you lookup Ebenezer Elex Girling, born Great Glemham 1796, died 1854 Plomesgate, ( Aldeburgh ? ) married Sarah Packard Benhall 1820.
        I only need info re Eber as ok with Sarah.

Regards Alf Girling

Comment

• Alf,

I am visiting Suffolk next weekend but only for a couple of days so unlikely to get to the RO. If you are in no hurry, I'll certainly look for Ebenezer in the New year.
          Glen

Comment

• suffolk record office

Any time that suits you Glen, I appreciate your help.

Regards Alf

Comment

• There was nothing in Gt Glemham for GIRLING. I also checked Lt Glemham in case there was a mix-up but again no luck. I then looked at Benhall. There were GIRLINGs there from 1770s to 1792. If there is anywhere else you'd like me look let me know.

Originally posted by alfred girling View Post
              If possible could you lookup Ebenezer Elex Girling, born Great Glemham 1796, died 1854 Plomesgate, ( Aldeburgh ? ) married Sarah Packard Benhall 1820.
              I only need info re Eber as ok with Sarah.

Regards Alf Girling
              Glen

Comment

• Glen,

That's not good new's. My cousin found him i don't know how, He has him born Great Glemham, his wife Sarah Packard was born Little Glemham, I found her fathers grave there.
                I was thinking that next time I come over I will go to Ipswitch ro, so what can I do now, hope you have an answer. thank's Glen, all the best.

alf

Comment

• Glen,

That's not good new's. My cousin found him i don't know how, He has him born Great Glemham, his wife Sarah Packard was born Little Glemham, I found her fathers grave there.
                  I was thinking that next time I come over I will go to Ipswitch ro, so what can I do now, hope you have an answer. thank's Glen, all the best.

alf

Comment

• Alf,

The 1851 Census shows him as born in Glemham aged 55. Is this where your info. comes from? Was John his eldest child as the chap having children in Benhall was a John? Any likelihood that he was non-conformist? Do you have a copy of the marriage? If not I can have a look at that to see if there is anything there to help but being pre-1837 there won't be a lot.
                    Glen

Comment

• Hi Glen,

Last summer you very kindly found the marriage of George Blundell and Elizabeth Newman. Could I ask if you could look for a baptism for Elizabeth. I think she would be born c1773 (based on the age of her husband). Her husband was baptised and the marriage took place in Rattlesden. If you are able to find a possible baptism I would also appreciate the names any siblings of Elizabeth.

I know you do not go to Suffolk very often at this time of year - there is no rush they have been a long time dead a few more months isn't going to make any difference!!

Many thanks, Sandra

Comment

• I'll have a look next time Sandra.

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                        Hi Glen,

Last summer you very kindly found the marriage of George Blundell and Elizabeth Newman. Could I ask if you could look for a baptism for Elizabeth. I think she would be born c1773 (based on the age of her husband). Her husband was baptised and the marriage took place in Rattlesden. If you are able to find a possible baptism I would also appreciate the names any siblings of Elizabeth.

I know you do not go to Suffolk very often at this time of year - there is no rush they have been a long time dead a few more months isn't going to make any difference!!

Many thanks, Sandra
                        Glen

Comment

• Glen,

He probably got the info from the census,I can check. John was his eldest born 1826 Benhall. The marriage info was through the Packard side. I'm afraid as you say pre 1837 makes it hard.He had 8 children and I have found families for six of them but none of them have anything on Eber. He was married 14/3/1820 Benhall and was down as a widower.He died 1854.Plomesgate which covers a lot of area. As he was only a farm labourer, no wills And couldn't find a grave stone. i was told his wife was on the church after he died.Thank's again Glen,all the best.

Alf

Comment

• Good Morning Oakum Picker from Tropical North Queensland, I am trying to push the Souter side of my tree back as far as I can, I have got to James Souter Born c1781 in Cockfield Suffolk . According to the www site The People of Cockfield he was married to Martha Crick in Cockfield in 1801 and had 7 children. Is it possible you could find anything more out of James, I don't know if this father & mother's name would be in the records or where where they came from. It sounds a lot but if you could help I'll think you are up for saint hood
                            Thanks
                            Sheila :o
                            Last edited by Sheila from Down Under; 31-01-10, 11:43.
                            I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

• I'll have a look at Cockfield for you Sheila the next time I'm there which may not be for another month or so but I always check here before I go.

Originally posted by Sheila from Down Under View Post
                              Good Morning Oakum Picker from Tropical North Queensland, I am trying to push the Souter side of my tree back as far as I can, I have got to James Souter Born c1781 in Cockfield Suffolk . According to the www site The People of Cockfield he was married to Martha Crick in Cockfield in 1801 and had 7 children. Is it possible you could find anything more out of James, I don't know if this father & mother's name would be in the records or where where they came from. It sounds a lot but if you could help I'll think you are up for saint hood
                              Thanks
                              Sheila :o
                              Glen

Comment

• Good Morning Glen from the hot and sticky North Queensland, Thank you for that, it is very good of you . In case I miss you could I ask you please to pm me when you have been ? I would not want you to think me rude and ignore you .
                                Regards
                                Sheila ;o)
                                I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

• Hi Glen! Thanks for your kind offer - I've finally (possibly) made it over the border from Norfolk into Suffolk.

The IGI (extracted records) show Robert Hawes christened 2 Sep 1744 to parents Thomas & Ann in Walsham-le-Willows, Suffolk. His siblings appear to be:

John (chr. 1746) Mary (49) William (53) Hannah (57) Thomas (62) James (64) John (65) Robert (67) William (69)

If you're able to view the original register (transcription if you can't) then I'd be glad of answers to these:

1) Did any of these die young? For instance, Did Robert christened 1744 die before Robert (1767) was born?
                                  2) Did the mother Ann die, say 1755-63, and then Thomas remarry another Ann?
                                  3) Did Ann die 1785-90? If so (and don't worry about this too much as it may take too long) are you able to find out if there was a will?
                                  4) More generally, what is the quality of the film like? Does it include baptisms, marriages AND burials? What dates? If the answers to (1) - (3) are what I want to hear then I may buy my own copy of the film for long term research.

I realise I'm asking quite a lot there. If it's too much, please take them in order and stop when you've had enough.

Thanks again for the offer!
                                  Kind regards,
                                  William
                                  Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

• Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                                    Hi Glen! Thanks for your kind offer - I've finally (possibly) made it over the border from Norfolk into Suffolk.

The IGI (extracted records) show Robert Hawes christened 2 Sep 1744 to parents Thomas & Ann in Walsham-le-Willows, Suffolk. His siblings appear to be:

John (chr. 1746) Mary (49) William (53) Hannah (57) Thomas (62) James (64) John (65) Robert (67) William (69)

If you're able to view the original register (transcription if you can't) then I'd be glad of answers to these:

1) Did any of these die young? For instance, Did Robert christened 1744 die before Robert (1767) was born?
                                    2) Did the mother Ann die, say 1755-63, and then Thomas remarry another Ann?
                                    3) Did Ann die 1785-90? If so (and don't worry about this too much as it may take too long) are you able to find out if there was a will?
                                    4) More generally, what is the quality of the film like? Does it include baptisms, marriages AND burials? What dates? If the answers to (1) - (3) are what I want to hear then I may buy my own copy of the film for long term research.

I realise I'm asking quite a lot there. If it's too much, please take them in order and stop when you've had enough.

Thanks again for the offer!
                                    Hi William,

My next 3 day research trip is in March so all requests will get done by then but I do manage to get the odd hour in the RO on other trips. All Suffolk PRs are on fiche so you would probably only need a few for the time-span although I see the submitted entries on the IGI go way back.

Did your CRICKMOREs ever cross the border? I've been looking for my gg-gf for 10 years. You don't have a Henry born anytime between 1799 & 1810 who disappears do you? Although in all probability he just wasn't baptised.
                                    Glen

Comment

• Hi Glen,

thanks for your quick response.

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                      All Suffolk PRs are on fiche so you would probably only need a few for the time-span.
                                      If the link is confirmed then Robert is a almost certainly a 'gateway' ancestor taking me back to c1200...so I'd want the whole lot! Judging by the Suffolk RO, the registers for Walsham-le-Willows are transcriptions on fiche or the originals on film. I'd rather have the latter - and believe that, although not ideal, I could view it on my fiche-reader. But I'm getting ahead of myself there!

Did your CRICKMOREs ever cross the border? I've been looking for my gg-gf for 10 years. You don't have a Henry born anytime between 1799 & 1810 who disappears do you?
                                      My most modern Crickmore was born c1730 - she married into the Millatt family...totally Norfolk as far as I can see. A quick FreeREG search for Henry Crickmore in Norfolk at that time finds just one: Sarah daur of Henry & Sarah Crickmore was baptised 10 Sep 1817 in the parish of Ellingham. He's a little young to be likely though...and you've probably seen him already. You can see my Crickmore's at http://wulliam.co.uk/2genealogy/fam392.html if you wish.
                                      Kind regards,
                                      William
                                      Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

• Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                                        Judging by the Suffolk RO, the registers for Walsham-le-Willows are transcriptions on fiche or the originals on film. I'd rather have the latter - and believe that, although not ideal, I could view it on my fiche-reader. But I'm getting ahead of myself there!
                                        I can't find what exactly the RO has for sale online & I don't think I've looked at Walsham but I have looked at a couple of hundred of the others & certainly in Ipswich & Lowestoft they are on fiche except for an odd register or 2 which were too large for filming for fiche & several parishes are together on one film. Transcripts of the parishes are available on film & are a good place to start for some of the early records which are still difficult to read even when you know they are there. BTs are an absolute No-No as they are filmed yearly in alphabetical order of Deanery & alphabetical order of parish within that Deanery & of course they are on film.

Still, I'll get back to you in due course with what I've been able to find.
                                        Glen

Comment

• Hi
                                          Any chance of a look up when you are next in the archives? (I am in Greece so it’s hard to get over there.)
                                          I am looking for:
                                          Marriage of Joseph Rice to an Ann ? around 1825, in the Groton area
                                          Birth of that Joseph Rice 1799/1800 in Hadleigh (father James, mother unknown)
                                          And birth of James Rice 1781, same area
                                          Any details concerning James and/or Joseph Rice would be much appreciated. If it helps: Joseph’s daughter Mary Ann Rice (b 1827) married a Jesse Farthing Nov 1850 in Great Waldingfield, Suffolk
                                          Thank you
                                          James
                                          Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
                                          http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
                                          My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

Working...
                                          X