No announcement yet.

William Foulds b.1826-1877

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage for John and Martha Birch in Jun Q 1844 - could she be a sister to Mary?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=7+8&ml_rpos=1
    Last edited by ozgirl; 31-01-16, 10:13.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Likely to be Mary's death in 1843

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1
      Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
        Marriage for John and Martha Birch in Jun Q 1844 - could she be a sister to Mary?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=7+8&ml_rpos=1
        Linda, you are a that does look most likely the scenario doesn't it? I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look for me. :smilee: x
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

blooming eck it's slow going.. :(
          Julie

Comment

Have a look at this tree Julie - might help you out a bit.

http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/78...07982154/facts
            Linda

Comment

Have a look at this tree Julie - might help you out a bit.

http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/78...07982154/facts
              thanks Linda, been beavering away at this and have just come back for a break ..lol
              Julie

Comment

Hey Julie

Was after a Mansfield marriage and nipped quickly into Notts while hubby waited in the car, managed to grab a quick look

John Foulds widower wheelwright Derby Road father desc. labourer
                Witnesses were John Miller and Rebecca Birch...but hangs head in shame as I didn't write down the Birch father
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                  Hey Julie

Was after a Mansfield marriage and nipped quickly into Notts while hubby waited in the car, managed to grab a quick look

John Foulds widower wheelwright Derby Road father desc. labourer
                  Witnesses were John Miller and Rebecca Birch...but hangs head in shame as I didn't write down the Birch father
                  thank you Elaine x I presume that this is Mary/Martha Birch marriage?

I am still going at these families... the more I add the more awaken and wave at me... :(
                  Julie

Comment

yes it is, Nottm St Mary
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

On Ancestry Select Christenings - Mary Birch Bap. 7 Jan 1805, parents Richard and Elizabeth.
                      Rebecca Birch (witness above) Bap 23 Mar 1817 parents Richard and Elizabeth.

No baptism found for Martha, but on 16/12/1827 John Bush Birch bap. mother Martha. In 1841 census John aged 13 is living with Richard and Elizabeth Birch, along with Rebecca, so quite likely Martha was Mary's sister.
                      Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                        yes it is, Nottm St Mary
                        Brilliant, Thank you Elaine xx

On Ancestry Select Christenings - Mary Birch Bap. 7 Jan 1805, parents Richard and Elizabeth.
                        Rebecca Birch (witness above) Bap 23 Mar 1817 parents Richard and Elizabeth.

No baptism found for Martha, but on 16/12/1827 John Bush Birch bap. mother Martha. In 1841 census John aged 13 is living with Richard and Elizabeth Birch, along with Rebecca, so quite likely Martha was Mary's sister.
                        Thank you again Linda, these little snippits are all adding up,

one thing I have noticed though is that the LACK of William as a name in the FOULDS trees that I am looking at. I have come across a few anomalies but I am not too worried about those for the time being, just interested in logging/tracking the various clusters of FOULDS.

I also have come across more odd named FOULDS too a 'Feather' FOULDS and a 'Walker' FOULDS.. odd lot these folks!..
                        Julie

Comment

Time for a little update:
                          I am still tracking the Foulds in the USA and have created a mini tree for them on Ancestry. I have also been in touch with a lady that is doing a one name study on the Foulds name, she has, like me, been doing some research on this family. we have concluded that William indeed had a brother Henry and also a brother John [as they can be found in Connecticut all living near each other and all having same occupations and coming from England]
                          this is what the lady came up with:

William Foulds b. abt 1826 in Loughborough, Leicestershire (married Fanny Lydall)

I think the most likely 1841 record for William is the record of a male servant, in Mickleover, Derby. Mickleover is quite close to Allestree, where William and Fanny were in 1851, with their young son William. William was of the sort of age ie. 15, where leaving home and working as a male servant would be perfectly reasonable (in this case for Robert Bell, Surgeon). The census record also indicates that he was not born in Derbyshire. There is no other record that I can find in any county, which would appear to fit with him.

By 1851 William was a FWK, and when we see him in Hartford Connecticut in 1860, he was a weaver, living very close to Henry Foulds and his family, also a weaver. He was naturalised not long after he moved to New Britain, Connecticut in the Hartford Superior Court on 27 March 1863.

Henry Foulds b. 13 March 1832 in Loughborough, Leicestershire

Henry married Hannah Wright on 19 January 1859 in Connecticut. The information on his birth and marriage comes from Connecticut cemetery inscriptions, and also newspaper notices (which are also quite informative about a couple of his children who died very young and therefore do not appear in the census with him). Unfortunately, the marriage note does not give any information on Henry’s father.

By 1860, Henry, Hannah and their baby Walter were out in Hartford, Connecticut and he was a weaver (although he had been a wood turner in England). He was naturalised before his brother, on 1 April 1862. In 1870 he had quite a large family. He was working in a hosiery mill, and by 1880 he was working in a knitting factory. He died on 26 July 1886 and was buried at Fairview Cemetery in New Britain, Connecticut.

John Foulds b. abt 1828, Long Whatton, Leicestershire

The third Foulds I found in Hartford Connecticut was John, who appears in the 1841 census in the UK with his brother Henry, but in 1851 was living in Derby St. Alkmund (ie. close to the rest of the extended family), with his wife Ann Thornhill and her parents. He was a FWK. By 1870, he was out in Hartford, Connecticut with his wife Ann and family, working in a hosiery mill (the same one probably as Henry?) and in 1880 he was a machinist. Before his death, he and Ann moved to Lynn, Massachusetts and were buried there. The Massachusetts records are great as they give the parents of the deceased, so I know that Ann is definitely Ann Foulds nee Thornhill. However John, who died after Ann on 11 June 1899, is shown as having a father Henry. Potential problem! It could have been that they had no immediate family there and the informant thought that his brother Henry had been his father. I therefore obtained John and Ann’s marriage certificate in Darley Abbey, and it definitely confirms his father was William Foulds, FWK.

I think that the overall evidence points pretty strongly to William, Henry and John all being brothers. This is strengthened by finding a Caroline Foulds listed in a directory of Hartford, Connecticut in 1888, not long after Henry has died but his widow Hannah and some children were still living there. There is a Caroline Foulds in Connecticut in 1880 census [single from England and a servant/housekeeper b 1841]

The full family of William Foulds b. 1826 therefore appears to be:

Parents: William Foulds (1795 – 1874) and Elizabeth Hutchinson

Siblings: Elizabeth Foulds, John Foulds (1828 – 1899), Henry Foulds (1832 – 1886), Ann Foulds, Ellen Foulds, Sarah Foulds, Emma Foulds. Some of the later children were from a second marriage. [to a Hannah Holbrook in 1858 Derby]
                          I have now tracked all of the Connecticut Foulds as far as I can, so am now going to turn my search to William b. 1795-1874. [I have already partially had a look at this but then turned to focus upon the Conn side]
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 20-02-16, 10:16.
                          Julie

Comment

So glad you've sorted it out - it must have been frustrating having so many with the same name in the same area!
                            Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                              So glad you've sorted it out - it must have been frustrating having so many with the same name in the same area!
                              Margaret
                              it is Margaret!

I am slowly getting there, and never would have thought that in my wildest dreams that I could have clawed back a little further on this, [I may also have some interesting news about this line too] need to wait and see what happens with it..

I have found a Kerenhappuch Foulds b. 1824 has been transcribed as Weston, Leicestershire, but I think that it is long Whatton, I can find a marriage for her to a Joseph Russell in 1850 I think it was, but she is with her father John Foulds in L/Whatton but has been mistrans as Keren Kassel, I can't find any trace of her after this..

could anyone have a look for me and see if they can spot anything, I'd be ever so grateful.

link to 1851 with her dad: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=9651721
                              Julie

Comment

GBC-1861-2273-00100A (1).jpg

here she is

Comment

Looks like Keren married Charles Lewis Q3 1866 Loughborough district. She appears on the 1871 census as Caren Happuck Lewis.
                                  Last edited by JudithM; 20-02-16, 15:05.
                                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

• aww brilliant that is!! thanks Val & Judith

I have been trying to navigate my way around this tree of mine and it's becoming a monster!
                                    Julie

Comment

Working...
                                    X