Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brick wall for about 5 years, I could really use some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I would try and find the whereabouts of the siblings in 1911 - not quite found them all yet

WOOD, WILLIAM JOHN mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1857 D Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 30

WOODS, CHRISTIANA mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1859 J Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 28
    married Godard in 98 Kennington Park Road S E

WOODS, SARAH mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1862 M Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 37
    Married Charles Stone 1881 in Teddington living in Battersea (can't find in 1911)

WOOD, ROSANNA mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1863 D Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 37
    Married William Hudson in Battersea in 1901 (in Canada later)

WOODS, JOHN mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1865 D Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 34
    10 Morley Rd, Greenwich

WOODS, LOUISA mmn BARGENT GRO Reference: 1868 S Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 44
    Married John Beszant 111 Dale Road, Canning Town E

WOOD, ALBERT HENRY mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1870 S Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 43
    No 20 Bridge St, Barking, Essex

WOOD, EMMA mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1872 J Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 304
    death 1872

WOOD, CHARLES AMOS mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1874 M Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 323

WOOD, ELIZABETH JANE mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 319
    marries Moser 36 Newland Street, Silvertown E, Essex and marries Clark

WOOD, FRED mmn BRIGENT GRO Reference: 1881 D Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 358

WOOD, HENRY JAMES mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1884 J Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES Volume 02A Page 352
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

One more workhouse admission I think we missed - connected to Henry Jr being there in 1909

20 Nov 1909 Mary Ann Wood 27 Married 9 Moorley Rd. Husband Henry in prison, 1 child in the House. CofE. Greenwich. Discharged same day, with Henry Jr.

Kentish Independent 03 September 1909
      Summary: Thomas Robert Byrne 53 of 53 Pomeroy Street, William Dowse 51 of 745 Woolwich Rd, and Henry Wood 26 of 9 Morley Rd, Charlton all accused of stealing 5 cwt old iron from the South Eastern & Chatham Railway.

Kentish Independent 10 September 1909 - Henry sentenced to 3 months due to 2 previous convictions (the others got 1 month)

Comment

Vera had the workhouse (I think) in Morley Road.

all connecting now....just no 1911
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

This looks like his first offence - each time at the Angerstein Wharf

Woolwich Gazette 11 March 1904
          Daniel Walsh 40 of Stanhope Street, Henry Wood & Richard Doe of Carrington House charged with stealing 10cwt of old iron - same place, same railway company

Kentish Mercury 18 March 1904
          Sentenced to 6 weeks hard labour (Daniel Walsh to 3 months). In this report a Walter Henry Baker aged 28 is also mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            Vera had the workhouse (I think) in Morley Road.
            Yes, I think she only mentioned Henry Jr, and that his record said the mother was in the infirmary, so I just added the full info, including that she was confirmed as Mary Ann, not just Mary.

Comment

Hi, I have ordered Henry James will but it's estimated to be able to download on the 6th of November so have to wait a couple of days :/.

Comment

Re. Henry living at Carrington House in 1904 - it looks pretty grim, with each man having a 'cubicle':
                Carrington House was built in Deptford in 1903 as a Lodging House by London County Council. It had capacity for 800 men. It was built as...

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                  Re. Henry living at Carrington House in 1904 - it looks pretty grim, with each man having a 'cubicle':
                  http://www.domesticatedbohemian.com/...ton-house.html
                  That does look and sound pretty grim doesn't it, poor Henry. Very interesting though either way.

I was looking at Calvert Road and there appears to have been a workhouse there at the time James and Mary were married. Do you think they would've been in that workhouse or just lived in a house near it?

Comment

Probably just living nearby

Comment

Originally posted by Willscr View Post

That does look and sound pretty grim doesn't it, poor Henry. Very interesting though either way.

I was looking at Calvert Road and there appears to have been a workhouse there at the time James and Mary were married. Do you think they would've been in that workhouse or just lived in a house near it?
                      I did see that there were cottages as part of it for children on Ediths streets
                      http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/20...send-east.html

"Calvert Road
                      9-19 Calvert Road Cottage Homes. These began around 1901 and run by the local Union adjacent to the workhouse. They could house 50 children and worked with the Hollies homes at Sidcup."

Guess you can see where 110 is in relation to it on 1911 census
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 04-11-20, 16:26.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

At the time of their marriage in 1907 Mary and Henry J/James H were at 110 Calvert Road. Mary's sister Prudence Kent and her husband Edward had a child baptised in 1902, Ada Florence. The address recorded was 110 Calvert Road

Mary and Henry 1907 and/or Henry J/James H were not with Prudence Kent in 1911

Comment

Hi, I have ordered Henry James will but it's estimated to be able to download on the 6th of November so have to wait a couple of days :/.
                          Fingers crossed he names someone other than just Mary Ann and the children

Vera

Comment

I have checked 1911 infirmary. No record of Mary Ann or young Henry 1907. Will look at w/hse.Vera
                            ​​

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

At the time of their marriage in 1907 Mary and Henry J/James H were at 110 Calvert Road. Mary's sister Prudence Kent and her husband Edward had a child baptised in 1902, Ada Florence. The address recorded was 110 Calvert Road

Mary and Henry 1907 and/or Henry J/James H were not with Prudence Kent in 1911
                              Mary's family were there on the 1901 census also, I hadn't realised, they then went onto Plumstead.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

I'm sure I saw something yesterday showing that Lydia Wood (formerly Freeman, nee Parker), wife of Fred, was living at No. 106 Calvert Road a few years before their marriage. I just cant remember what it was!

Comment

I don't think this is what I saw yesterday, but Lydia's daughter - also named Lydia [Ann] Freeman, married Frederick John Waite in 1906, giving her address as 106 Calvert Road.

So Fred Wood married someone from 106 Calvert Road, and Henry married someone from No. 110.

Henry was known to have lived with his brother John for a while, and named a son Frederick John.

Its still very circumstantial, but I think there are enough 'coincidences' to say we've identified the right family for Willscr's James Henry/Henry James Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                    I don't think this is what I saw yesterday, but Lydia's daughter - also named Lydia [Ann] Freeman, married Frederick John Waite in 1906, giving her address as 106 Calvert Road.

So Fred Wood married someone from 106 Calvert Road, and Henry married someone from No. 110.

Henry was known to have lived with his brother John for a while, and named a son Frederick John.

Its still very circumstantial, but I think there are enough 'coincidences' to say we've identified the right family for Willscr's James Henry/Henry James Wood.
                                    I agree - think it is them, just a shame that no 1911 census, but plenty of other records around, that state the address, so must be them.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

I didn't get any further on the wood siblings, the ones I found were all quite easy to find, so can track them all. Looks like Rosanna went to Canada. Charles Amos seems to be hiding, didn't try super hard to find.

I also like the fact that there are other Bertha's in the family (my Mums name ) and I know fairly uncommon, so I always feel that this links families too.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks again for all your help, I think you may have finally cracked it for me. My Mum and Dad tried to in 2004/05 but got stuck where I did. So they're going to be very pleased if I can confirm some stuff for them (especially my Mum). Hopefully the will might show something also!

Thought it was only fair to put a face to a name, this is my Great Grandma Bertha.

Comment

Lovely photo Willscr. Nice to see the face to fit the name. I like the hat.

vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X