Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brick wall for about 5 years, I could really use some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and another with Henry brother with them

should be sleeping really...so might need confirming!
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Of course, its still only supposition that this is the correct family for James/Henry. Other than being recorded at some of the same streets (but different house numbers), there's nothing that definitely links him to any of them.

The only other thought I had is that there may be a different address on his will that we can tie back somehow. From the ones I have for my own family the soldiers tended to write them just as they embarked for France or wherever - 1915 in this case - and gave the name &; address of the beneficiary, but little else. The address on the pension / headstone records will most likely be where Mary was living at that time, rather than when he died.

ADDED: I take that back - isn't that census you just posted the link we've been looking for?

Comment

And Fred in 1901, at sea: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
          Let me know if I've missed anyone:

WOOD, WILLIAM JOHN mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1857 D Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 30
          WOODS, CHRISTIANA mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1859 J Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 28
          WOODS, SARAH mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1862 M Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 37
          WOOD, ROSANNA mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1863 D Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 37
          WOODS, JOHN mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1865 D Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 34
          WOODS, LOUISA mmn BARGENT GRO Reference: 1868 S Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 44
          WOOD, ALBERT HENRY mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1870 S Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 43
          WOOD, EMMA mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1872 J Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 304
          WOOD, CHARLES AMOS mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1874 M Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 323
          WOOD, ELIZABETH JANE mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 319
          WOOD, FRED mmn BRIGENT GRO Reference: 1881 D Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 358
          WOOD, HENRY JAMES mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1884 J Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES Volume 02A Page 352
          yes a very big family but not unusual. Started to look at them last night and noted Henry with Brother John in 1901. If I remember he was a Bricklayer.EDIT hadn't noted address Carolyn. So a link.

Also popping into Creed for later addresses which may fit the definite addresses of the couple. Altho the Henry James sometime James Henry Wood, Mary and Henry 1907 in Infirmary records may not be the relatives of Willscr.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
            Of course, its still only supposition that this is the correct family for James/Henry. Other than being recorded at some of the same streets (but different house numbers), there's nothing that definitely links him to any of them.

The only other thought I had is that there may be a different address on his will that we can tie back somehow. From the ones I have for my own family the soldiers tended to write them just as they embarked for France or wherever - 1915 in this case - and gave the name &; address of the beneficiary, but little else. The address on the pension / headstone records will most likely be where Mary was living at that time, rather than when he died.

ADDED: I take that back - isn't that census you just posted the link we've been looking for?
            Henry did make a will so maybe Willscr would consider purchasing it.

Henry James Reg no 1957 dod 01/07/1916

Vera

Comment

was a bit sleepy last night, but had got hooked, looks like a couple more blanks filled in, but no Mary, Henry or Henry junior on 1911 census, looking like Henry in jail and guess the jail will only have his initials if found, Mary and Henry in institution (was hoping maybe with family) - and seperately at that :(

1891 - Woolwich Road, Charlton - Henry James Wood census with parents
              1901 - Miles street? Model Buildings? Henry James with brother Johns family
              1907 - 20 Glenister Road - Fred Wood drunk
              1907 - 110 Calvert Road, Greenwich - Henry James Wood marriage
              1908 - 95 Tasker Street - Infirmary admission Mary
              1908 - 95 Tuskar Street - Henry Wood stealing iron
              1909 - 9 Morley Road - Henry (1907) infirmary on his own
              1910 - 15 Glenister Road - Frederick John Birth
              1911 - 15 Glenister Road - January Fred John death
              1911 - 10 Morley street = brother john and family on census
              1916 - 33 Glenforth Street, East Greenwich - Henry James Wood death
              1939 - 33a Glenforth Street, Greenwich - Mary Wood & son Albert E
              1939 - 63a Glenforth Street, Greenwich - Henry James (1907)

vera2013 have you found 1911 census for all the siblings? I think I was getting there last night, need to check? what about her family? I have not looked at them much?
              vera2013 I have many many big families in mine - I think I was surprised as had been looking at the 'little' family census etc, then realised there were many many more

got to be worth getting the will at £1.50
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                was a bit sleepy last night, but had got hooked, looks like a couple more blanks filled in, but no Mary, Henry or Henry junior on 1911 census, looking like Henry in jail and guess the jail will only have his initials if found, Mary and Henry in institution (was hoping maybe with family) - and seperately at that :(

1891 - Woolwich Road, Charlton - Henry James Wood census with parents
                1901 - Miles street? Model Buildings? Henry James with brother Johns family
                1907 - 20 Glenister Road - Fred Wood drunk
                1907 - 110 Calvert Road, Greenwich - Henry James Wood marriage
                1908 - 95 Tasker Street - Infirmary admission Mary
                1908 - 95 Tuskar Street - Henry Wood stealing iron
                1909 - 9 Morley Road - Henry (1907) infirmary on his own
                1910 - 15 Glenister Road - Frederick John Birth
                1911 - 15 Glenister Road - January Fred John death
                1911 - 10 Morley street = brother john and family on census
                1916 - 33 Glenforth Street, East Greenwich - Henry James Wood death
                1939 - 33a Glenforth Street, Greenwich - Mary Wood & son Albert E
                1939 - 63a Glenforth Street, Greenwich - Henry James (1907)

vera2013 have you found 1911 census for all the siblings? I think I was getting there last night, need to check? what about her family? I have not looked at them much?
                vera2013 I have many many big families in mine - I think I was surprised as had been looking at the 'little' family census etc, then realised there were many many more

got to be worth getting the will at £1.50
                Can't say for sure but passed John. It was late and alternatively popping into w/hse infirmary records so not a thorough search just using the cross refs.
                I agree Mary is the one b Peterborough living Plumstead so maybe she is with them in 1911.
                Good that there are a few routes to follow.
                A last resort could be Bertha Florence's bc as she was born late 1911

Vera

Comment

Hi Teasie, Vera & cbcarolyn, really sorry I haven't been too involved, life's been really busy lately but I'm hugely appreciative of all your help! it can get rather confusing I found!

I will look into getting Henry Woods will, that will hopefully show something. I have my GGrandmothers birth certificate.

Reg Dis/birth in sub district - Greenwich/Greenwich East

19/12/1911 - Bertha Florence 48 Selcroft Road/ Father - Henry James Wood / Mother - Mary Wood Formerly Steads/ OOF - Labourer (Factory)/ Informant - Mary Wood Mother 48 Selcroft Road/ 25/01/1912.

I've been asking my Mum for any information she has on her Grandmother and she doesn't have much unfortunately. She wouldn't talk about her family and was very closed off with talking about the past, it obviously really affected her when her Dad died. All my Mum remembers is her showing her jewellery collection to her. She had mounds of the stuff under her bed (expensive stuff) that she had apparently inherited from her Fathers family she said. There was also a house that she had apparently inherited money from. My Mum seems to remember her saying it was her Mum & Dads house that was sold when he died.

I can't find a Selcroft Road in Greenwich, maybe it's just no longer there.

Comment

Thought I would upload these two bits of information I have just incase I have missed anything.

Comment

Willscr it is super easy to get a will, here is the link
                      https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills they are £1.50 so a bargain compared to a lot of other certs etc, hit and miss if they give info.

No need to be sorry - like a bit of puzzle solving
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 04-11-20, 11:07.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Hello Willscr

No need for sorry. For myself love the search and plenty of time to do it. Thanks for the extra info. The Will could be useful and much cheaper than normal at the moment. Off to check out Selcroft Road.

vera

Comment

If Bertha was born in Dec 1911, one feels they must have been together 9 months earlier.....
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

This will help with the general location. Some of the streets mentioned in the paragraph containing Selcroft Road can still be seen on Google Maps.

WOOLWICH ROAD The area immediately south of the Woolwich Road was, and is, partly owned by the Hatcliffe Estate Charity. It is now the site of the Flamstead and Caletock Estates. The Caletock Estat…

Comment

On this summary book there is Selcroft road (odds), Armitage Road, Collerston road, Woolwich Road (55 and up odds), Glenister road (Evens)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...64&pId=6596881
                              1911 1.JPG

and here is the other part of Selcroft road useful to locate on a map
                              https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...64&pId=6597390

1911 2.JPG

48 has the Youngs and the Barrows, can't see any connection
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 04-11-20, 11:21.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Not at 48 Selcroft Road looking at FMP. Wonder why they moved around so much? Will carry on with the Infirmary check.

Vera

Comment

I do like ediths sreets blog too

Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                    On this summary book there is Selcroft road (odds), Armitage Road, Collerston road, Woolwich Road (55 and up odds), Glenister road (Evens)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...64&pId=6596881
                                    1911 1.JPG

and here is the other part of Selcroft road useful to locate on a map
                                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...64&pId=6597390

1911 2.JPG

48 has the Youngs and the Barrows, can't see any connection
                                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...764&pId=693259
                                    So likely living in one of those Streets possibly with family and enumerated under their name.

vera

Comment

They certainly moved about! I've checked the electoral register for 1910, 1911 & 1912, and they aren't there - 1910 & 1911 was Ernest Alexander West, and 1912 was Joseph Young,

Comment

Looking at the marriage certificate, the witness looks to be IRESON, not Jenson, although of course we're not looking at an original signature.

Comment

I have tried searching without surnames in 1911 census with sub district Greenwich East for
                                          Mary born 1883 in Peterborough, Northampton as was then (and surrounding counties).
                                          Henry James 1884 and Middlesex

not found anything, will try Henry James 1907
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X