Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brick wall for about 5 years, I could really use some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did wonder if the name change was as simple as after son was born with same name- whether he changed to be different names?

I assume Mary is the one born Peterborough? have tried searching 1911 using that birth place. Looking as though maybe she was in an institution, or just moving about a lot at that point so never got on the census.

Did try a search in papers for a mention of prison but nothing popped up.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I just remembered I had some credit left on Deceased Online, so I've taken a look at the burial for Frederick John, and there's something odd.

WOOD, FREDERICK JOHN mmn STEADS GRO Reference: 1910 D Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 1030

Baptism 22 Dec 1910 at Christ Church, Greenwich, Frederick John s/o Henry James & Mary Wood, 15 Glenister Road, Labourer (born 30 Nov 1910)
      Burial 27 Jan 1911, Greenwich, Frederick John Wood aged 2 months of 15 Glenister Road, s/o William Frederick Wood, a labourer

Where the heck does William Frederick come from? Seems to be a mixture of his father & his brother???

The only prison record I can see that fits is this one: https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...v=t19080303-40
      He's on the habitual criminals list as Wood or Woods, but as he was released to the Catholic Discharged Prisoners Aid Society on 11 Jun 1910, it would be a bit difficult for him to be the father of Fredrick John!

Comment

I assume that is "the" Gamages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamages I hadn't realised it was in Holborn - went to the one in Romford as a child to see Father Christmas!

Would he travel to Holborn to steal?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

There is this

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ce&pId=8907370

mary and henry.JPG

Sorry just realised was seeing Mary and thought adult, now realised child, a Mary later on page age 27

can see adult Mary discharged from same place 20/11 admitted 1/11

so maybe ignore for now!
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-11-20, 14:09.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            Would he travel to Holborn to steal?
            Well Fred seems to have married in Wandsworth for some reason, and although I can see wife Lydia on the 1911 census in Greenwich, there's no sign of Fred. Maybe they all hopped back & forth?

Being a Northerner my southern geography is pretty rubbish, but sister Elizabeth Jane (Moser) is in West Ham/Essex in 1911 with several children listed as having been born Silvertown, Essex, where her husband worked at the rubber factory, although there was also a munitions factory there, which could possibly tie in with the occupation on the 1907 baptism for Henry James Jr (I can't seem to find an image of that, so those extra details are great).

Silvertown, in the London Borough of Newham, is a slowly regen­erating dockland district situated between the Thames and Royal Victoria Dock.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              There is this

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ce&pId=8907370

mary and henry.JPG

Sorry just realised was seeing Mary and think adult, now realised child, can see adult Mary discharged from same place 20/11 admitted 1/11

so maybe ignore for now!
              I've just resurrected that one Carolyn. So Mary, Henry and baby Mary all in the Infirmary in October 1909. Must check out Mary's admission for October 1909.

Vera

Comment

Oh hang on... Fred gets a mention at Glenister Road - Woolwich Gazette 13 December 1907
                Fred Wood 26 of 20 Glenister Road East Greenwich was charged was charged with having been drunk at the Old Friends beer house, Woolwich Road. He pleaded guilty and was fined 5s or five days

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

Well Fred seems to have married in Wandsworth for some reason, and although I can see wife Lydia on the 1911 census in Greenwich, there's no sign of Fred. Maybe they all hopped back & forth?

Being a Northerner my southern geography is pretty rubbish, but sister Elizabeth Jane (Moser) is in West Ham/Essex in 1911 with several children listed as having been born Silvertown, Essex, where her husband worked at the rubber factory, although there was also a munitions factory there, which could possibly tie in with the occupation on the 1907 baptism for Henry James Jr (I can't seem to find an image of that, so those extra details are great).

https://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/silvertown/
                  well nowhere is far away in London really, Holborn north of river, and Greenwich south....but there were bridges!
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Found a reference to Henry Wood of Tuskar Street - Woolwich Gazette 04 December 1908 (so can't be the James I mentioned previously)

Summary: Henry Wood 26 of 95 Tuskar Street charged with stealing old iron from the SE & C Railway Co, from the Angerstein? Wharf. A previous conviction was proved. He had no regular work for the last 2 years. Mr Ranson the court missionary said he had a bad character & was sent to prison for 21 days hard labour.

Comment

can't see a Mary birth
                      teasie I am confused over Fredericks burial, maybe father wasn't there at burial, and grandfather was and his name was put down, or am I reading this wrong?
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

I'm confused by his burial too, but he's definitely recorded as Frederick John Wood son of Wm Fredk Wood, a labourer, 15 Glenister Road. Buried in a common grave.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                          I might have found part of something, but I haven't quite joined any dots yet.

There was a family at Woolwich Road, Charlton in 1891 - RG12; Piece: 527; Folio: 108; Page: 29
                          William Wood 51 Ag Lab b Surrey
                          Louisa 59 Laundress b Surrey
                          Elizabeth 15 Apprentice Dressmaker b Middlesex
                          Frederick 9
                          Henry J 6

I think these are their births:
                          WOOD, ELIZABETH JANE mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 319
                          WOOD, FRED mmn BRIGENT GRO Reference: 1881 D Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 358
                          WOOD, HENRY JAMES mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1884 J Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES Volume 02A Page 352

William Wood & Louisa Baigent married in Chertsey in 1857.

Fred Wood, born 24 Oct 1881 Teddington, Middlesex was killed 2 Jul 1915 aboard HMS India. His wife's address is given as 106 Calvert Road, East Greenwich, which is only a few doors from the address James Henry/Henry James gave on his marriage, and where a Lydia Wood was living in 1911 along with various children with the surname Freeman.

Fred Wood m Lydia Freeman 1910, Wandsworth, but it doesn't seem to be online.

EDITED TO ADD: Louisa (mother) may have died 12 Aug 1898 and buried 16 Aug 1898 Greenwich (burial on Deceased online)
                          WOOD, LOUISA aged 57 GRO Reference: 1898 S Quarter in WOOLWICH Volume 01D Page 781

William is still alive in 1901 at Woolwich Road, Charlton (Greenwich) - aged 65, General Labourer b Surrey.
                          I think there are more siblings of Elizabeth, Frederick and Henry, have you found further census? This is from FMP not been through GRO yet

Wood William John 1857 Chertsey, Surrey, England Baigent
                          Wood Albert Henry 1870 Chertsey, Surrey, England Baigent
                          Wood Emma 1872 Kingston, Surrey, England Baigent
                          Wood Charles Amos 1874 Kingston, Surrey, England Baigent
                          Wood Elizabeth Jane 1876 Kingston, Surrey, England Baigent
                          Wood Fred 1881 Kingston, Surrey, England Brigent
                          Wood Henry James 1884 Kingston, Surrey, England Baigent
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-11-20, 15:02.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Going back to baby Mary, I dont think she is connected to the same family.

From the creed register, Henry was admitted 5 Oct from Greenwich, whereas Mary was admitted 7th October from St Paul's.

There was a Rose Mary Wood privately baptised on 24 Jan 1909 at All Saints, Hatcham Park, Lewisham, the daughter of Henry & Kathleen Louise Wood, 8 Kender Street, Labourer.

The burial for baby Mary was at 13 Oct 1909 Brockley Cemetery, Lewisham, and the address was the same as admission - 8 Faulkner Street.

Faulkner Street & Kender Street appear to adjoin each other according to this map: http://new-roads.co.uk/england/londo...kner-street-4/

Comment

good to rule out.

With all these addresses i have been getting confused - I do like a list, so have summarised so far!

1891 - Woolwich Road, Charlton - Henry James Wood census with parents
                              1907 - 20 Glenister Road - Fred Wood drunk
                              1907 - 110 Calvert Road, Greenwich - Henry James Wood marriage
                              1908 - 95 Tasker Street - Infirmary admission Mary
                              1908 - 95 Tuskar Street - Henry Wood stealing iron
                              1909 - 9 Morley Road - Henry (1907) infirmary on his own
                              1910 - 15 Glenister Road - Frederick John Birth
                              1911 - 15 Glenister Road - January Fred John death
                              1916 - 33 Glenforth Street, East Greenwich - Henry James Wood death
                              1939 - 33a Glenforth Street, Greenwich - Mary Wood & son Albert E
                              1939 - 63a Glenforth Street, Greenwich - Henry James (1907)

I have also looked at the census summary in 1911 not a Wood in sight at Glenister Road, 15 has the Pavitt & Savages
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Good to eliminate that record of Mary, Teasie. Not to forget she died from Whooping Cough and Bronchitis.

I can't understand that given the birth dates of the children and available addresses, not one produces a record of even Mary and Henry 1907. Can't see a workhouse admission for 1911

The 1939 Register records Glenforth Street as Cubitt Town which is Isle of Dogs so perhaps could be found under another reg district

vera

Comment

I have found a few census that maybe the grandparents, but am struggling to find the GRO reg for a lot of children, which is confusing me:

Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Let me know if I've missed anyone:

WOOD, WILLIAM JOHN mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1857 D Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 30
                                    WOODS, CHRISTIANA mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1859 J Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 28
                                    WOODS, SARAH mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1862 M Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 37
                                    WOOD, ROSANNA mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1863 D Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 37
                                    WOODS, JOHN mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1865 D Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 34
                                    WOODS, LOUISA mmn BARGENT GRO Reference: 1868 S Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 44
                                    WOOD, ALBERT HENRY mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1870 S Quarter in CHERTSEY Volume 02A Page 43
                                    WOOD, EMMA mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1872 J Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 304
                                    WOOD, CHARLES AMOS mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1874 M Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 323
                                    WOOD, ELIZABETH JANE mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 319
                                    WOOD, FRED mmn BRIGENT GRO Reference: 1881 D Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 358
                                    WOOD, HENRY JAMES mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1884 J Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES Volume 02A Page 352

Comment

Not sure why I couldn't find some...so quite a big family! I found a death for Emma in same year.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Just found big brother John Wood 10 Morley Road

Not sure why didn't spot before
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X