No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Virginia and another welcome from me to FTF.

Like Christine has said, there are several churches in Alverstoke/Gosport and with such a date range can be very time consuming. Plus some of the older Parish Records, particularly St. Johns Forton in Gosport, are very feint and some completely legible.

However, I will see what I can do for you so please check back on this thread. It may be a short while though before I will be able to get back to you.

I will let you know one way or the other if I find anything.

Lesley

Comment

• Christine,

Unfortunately I had no luck today finding the marriage of Joseph Cobden and Ann at Alverstoke/Gosport. I checked through 5 of the churches with records for 1853 but could find nothing. The only one I can think of that I couldn't check is the Catholic Church whose records are not kept at the Study Centre. I wouldn't think though for one minute that Ann was Catholic!

Sorry I couldn't help with this one. Would a registry office marriage be possible in that era? I don't know but I expect you would.

Lesley

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
        Christine,

Unfortunately I had no luck today finding the marriage of Joseph Cobden and Ann at Alverstoke/Gosport. I checked through 5 of the churches with records for 1853 but could find nothing. The only one I can think of that I couldn't check is the Catholic Church whose records are not kept at the Study Centre. I wouldn't think though for one minute that Ann was Catholic!

Sorry I couldn't help with this one. Would a registry office marriage be possible in that era? I don't know but I expect you would.

Lesley
        Thank you very much indeed for what must have been a bit of a trawl - even with a reasonable idea of the date.

I guess it could have been a registry office marriage - especially with all that oddness about not mentioning they were married in a census 8 years later!

I've just had a look on FreeBMD for the death of William HARDY (previous husband) in Portsea/Alverstoke, between 1850 (the marriage of Ann and William) and 1871 (the census where Joseph and Ann are explicitly husband & wife. There are three possibles: 1851q4, 1855q4 and 1863q1 - all in Portsea.

Perhaps I should have a look for a burial around those dates to see if I can get any likely info there.

Christine
        (PS - many thanks for your kind words about my detective skills!)
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-03-11, 17:28.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Charles Anthony Brown 1861 Census at Alverstoke

Lesley, I've got a bit excited about find this entry for the Charles Anthony BROWN you have previously tried to help me with. What I am hoping to find out is household details such as parents living at this particular Alverstoke address. If it is the correct Charles then maybe Charles was married by this stage and living with his wife and parents. Here's hoping.

Regards

hscott21c

birth:
          1827 — Gosport, Hampshire
          christening:
          baptism:
          death:
          burial:
          residence:
          1861 — Alverstoke, Hampshire, England
          parents:
          spouse:
          child:
          marriage:

record title:
          England and Wales Census, 1861
          name:
          Charles Brown
          event:
          Census
          event date:
          relationship to head of household:
          Son
          birthplace:
          Gosport, Hampshire
          record type:
          Household
          registration district:
          Alverstoke
          sub-district:
          1 Alverstoke
          ecclesiastical parish:
          Holy Trinity
          civil parish:
          Alverstoke
          county:
          Hampshire
          hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

• hscott121c,

hello again. I think your above posting would do better on the Research Board. It looks like you need someone who can access the 1861 Census for you and post you the details. Unfortunately my subs. to Ancestry have expired so cannot check it out for you.

I beleive if you ask a moderator they can move the post to Research for you.

If you need any help with look-ups at the Study Centre, just let me know. It looks a good bit of info for your Charles Brown though. Let's hope it is the right one.

Lesley

PS If you PM me your private e mail address someone has kindly sent me a details of the 1861 Census. I can forward it on to you.
            Last edited by Punchs mum; 27-03-11, 09:00. Reason: added to thread

Comment

• hscott21c

Have received your PM OK and have replied to your private email address.

Good Luck! Hope it is the right one.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi, Lesley

I received the marriage cert today (well done Fareham RO!). In case - after your kind efforts on my behalf - you were wondering...

m 10 Mar 1853 Alverstoke Regr Office.
                Ann HARDY, W, 46; Haslar St, Gosport; d/o James SAINSBURY, victualling office.
                & Joseph COBDEN, W, 44, seaman; HMS Talbot, Portsmouth Harbour; s/o Thomas COBDEN, mason.
                No mention Banns/Licence/Cert.
                Witn: William EDWARDS (X), Francis BINSTED [M-cert; 1853q1 Alverstoke 2b-587]
                In 1861:
                RG9/639fo4p2: "Ann HARDY" age 53, "widow", greengrocer; 6 Warblington St, Portsmouth
                RG09/639fo4p1: Joseph COBDEN, age 52, "W", Greenwich out pensioner; 4 Warblington St, Portsmouth
                In 1871:
                RG10-1136fo14p22: Ann COBDEN, age 64, shopkeeper; 4 Warblington St, Portsmouth
                RG10-1136fo14p22: Joseph COBDEN, age 65, coal dealer; 4 Warblington St, Portsmouth
                and to illustrate that people can be fairly flexible about their reporting of ages:
                bap 25 May 1804 St Marys, Portsea, Ann d/o James & Sarah SAINSBURY [P.R.]

EDIT: I notice that Joseph's daughter, Louisa, married Dec 1870. Perhaps there were some "issues" there?

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-03-11, 10:34.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Hi Christine.

Well, thanks for letting me know the outcome even if it did cost you! Nice to know that I didn't overlooked it!

Pity they don't keep records of Registry Office marriages at the Study Centre. What a strange 'carry on'! Well, done to you for once again, solving another mystery of Genealogy!

Lesley

Comment

• ... On the other hand, I haven't found any of the following...
                    1) what happened to James WHITEHEAD after he ran in Dec 1828
                    2) who Caroline's father is likely to be
                    3) what happened to James CONNARY & William HARDY (husband 2 & 3)
                    4) who was Joseph COBDEN's previous wife, and what happened to her (or when!)
                    5) how come Joseph COBDEN seems to have died in Yarmouth, when Ann seems to have gone to her family in Plymouth

Lots of questions there for me to go after, if I feel in need of a genealogy puzzle.

Comment

• Lesley

Thanks for the PM'd census info x 2. Sorry about the radio-silence, but have just been trying to fit this information in with what I have AND not going off on another tangent because Brown/e is a very common name. The census information doesn't give me a father's name as Anthony James Brown/e, so I think I will have just have to keep looking for a birth/christening. You may hear from me again! Thanks for your help.
                      hscott21c

Comment

• Oh the joys and dissappointments of Genealogy!

What a shame he wasn't yours after all. Back to the drawing board then.

Just give a shout if you need another local lookup.

Lesley

Comment

• Message for Virginia.

Have searched the Parish Records of one Church today from 1800 to 1812 but unfortunately have found no record of marriage of William Blackiston to Charlotte Montogomery.

There is one more church with marriage records for that date that I will check at a later date.

Sorry I couldn't help you this time.

Lesley

Comment

• Thankyou for the work you have done so far looking this up for me. I will look forward to further news as and when you get a chance to look at the register for the other possible church.

Virginia

Comment

• Hi Punchs mum,

You are offering exactly what I need! I have only very recently started this family tree stuff - based on info given to me by my Aunt. I am trying to trace the GORMAN family who lived for several generations at Alverstoke - and have loads of gaps (any you could fill in would be wonderful):
                              1) James Gorman b 1780 Gosport, m Anne Murphy 2/10/1809 - need death dates, and Anne's parents if pos
                              2) James' father Nathaniel Gorman - been told b 1740 Alverstoke, m 29/4/1760 to Sarah Taylor, but have no more information about either of them - any further info about (eg deaths, addresses) either of them or any of their parents would be great.
                              Any signposts to other sources of info would also be great,

Many thanks

Comment

• Hello ScrumpyLass. Welcome to FTF.

I am sorry but I am not able to do blankets searches of the Parish Records if you unable to provide dates. ie for deaths etc. It is too time consuming and a strain to view on the microfiche. I can check out the dates of the marriage records for you but they will not give addresses or parents names. Sometimes the witnesses may give a clue but the earlier records will not show much at all.

Have you tried Findmypast as I beleive they have just added Parish Records for Hampshire? Sorry, but I do not have subs to this site so am unable to help in that respect!

Maybe you could try posting on the Reseach Board. There are some helpful people on there that may be able to help.

Lesley

Comment

• ScrumpyLass you will really love the helpful folk here.

It may be of interest to note that Ann was married at Portsea St Mary as a widow.

There was a Sarah Gurman buried in 1840 at Botley, Hampshire.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a James Gorman in Hampshire as yet.

Originally posted by ScrumpyLass View Post
                                  Hi Punchs mum,

You are offering exactly what I need! I have only very recently started this family tree stuff - based on info given to me by my Aunt. I am trying to trace the GORMAN family who lived for several generations at Alverstoke - and have loads of gaps (any you could fill in would be wonderful):
                                  1) James Gorman b 1780 Gosport, m Anne Murphy 2/10/1809 - need death dates, and Anne's parents if pos
                                  2) James' father Nathaniel Gorman - been told b 1740 Alverstoke, m 29/4/1760 to Sarah Taylor, but have no more information about either of them - any further info about (eg deaths, addresses) either of them or any of their parents would be great.
                                  Any signposts to other sources of info would also be great,

Many thanks
                                  hscott21c

Comment

• Mary Ann Biggs / Brown

Hello Lesley

Just wondering whether you could look up 2 x burials for a Mary Ann Biggs:

24 May 1832 Gosport (do you do Gosport?)
                                    21 Mar 1831 Alverstoke

Hoping to find that the informant was her husband Anthony James Browne I think she may have died in childbirth or soon after.

Many thanks
                                    hscott21c

Comment

• hscott21c.....Hello again!

The burial at that date will be a churchyard burial and they do not give names of informants! In fact, the only information is their abode ie Gosport and their age and who performed the ceremony. Unfortunately the death is too early for a Death cert, which would give the informant and cause of death.

I can have a look for you but as I said, there will be no further information other than age given.

Lesley

Lesley

Comment

• hscott21c - I don't know whether you are familiar with knightroots, but they are the de facto OPC for Hampshire. Anyway, they have transcriptions of some (but by no means all) parish records. Their burial records for Alverstoke look pretty complete and ther is an entry for 21 Mar 1831, but is not of much help I'm afarid:

64/505 - BROWN Gosport Mar 21 1831 =

as there is no christian name or age.

The burial records for Gosport are pretty patchy,but Lesley might be abel to help on that one.

Comment

• Hi scrumpylass - perhaps you could give a bit more information re. why you believe James is the son of Nathaniel and what information you have about the year and location of their respective births. Familysearch show only one possibility:

Name: James Gorman
                                          Baptism/Christening Date: 14 Dec 1766
                                          Baptism/Christening Place: ST BOTOLPH WITHOUT ALDGATE,LONDON,LONDON,ENGLAND
                                          Death Date: 11 Jan 1767
                                          Father's Name: Nathanl. Gorman
                                          Mother's Name: Sarah
                                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02555-1
                                          System Origin: England-ODM
                                          Source Film Number: 370933
                                          Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

There is a non-con burial of Nathanel [sic] Gorman 5 Feb 1793 in Greenwich which is a possibility if he was a mariner. Was he a navy man?

Comment

Working...
                                          X