No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Bertie, There was a definate 'Dr' after the name! I thought the same as you that you need to see the actual Parish Record yourself and make your own decisions!

S*ds law that just when I really wanted to do a photo copy that the bulb had gone in the reader!! Hope it won't be too long before it is replaced.

Lesley

Comment

• I hope they don't charge you for it Lesley - for "excessive use"!!! If so, we'll have a whip round lol!

Comment

• LOL Bertie, Next time I go I shall go in disguise!

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Chris in Sussex

Sorry Chris but it looks like you will have to continue your finger tapping.....it's Ok, I can't hear it!!

The bulb in the Microfiche Reader has been replaced but I swear it is a lower wattage as the film is more difficult to read now! But.........the printer is playing up now I was told. I did print the record off but it is not a good print at all. The name of the baptised in just a blob! Just about readable is "Dr of Alexander and Frances Habbens.

I did change back to the reader( with no printer attached) I originally viewed through and got a second opinion from one of the staff who agreed with me that it does read 'Jane'

The printer is supposed to be being sorted so next time I go, I will print off another copy and see if it is any better than the one I have got.

Sorry about that. Hopefully I can get a better copy for you next time!

Keep tapping those fingers!!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thank you so much for persevering with this. You wouldn't believe how very, very grateful I am.

I promise to stop tapping now and instead start dancing round the room with joy ;D
            So the only noise now will be me crashing into the furniture or 'naughty' words when I stub my toe!

Many thanks again
            Chris
            Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

• Chris in Sussex

Have printed out another copy of the Parish Baptism Record for you. This time it is a bit better although not 100% clear. Will scan it to you at your e mail address. I assume you have the same one as you had about a year ago. If not would you let me know.

If it doesn't scan well can always post the copy to you.

Let me know.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thank you so much.

I have e.mailed you direct so please let me know if you don't recieve it.

Chris

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

• Hi,
                  I'm trying to find where Ernest Joseph Butcher is buries or a list of posible places. He died 4th Feb 1904, his address is given as Tennyson Road, Buckland-any ideas?
                  Regards
                  Terry

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Just to let you know the photocopies were safely received today.

Thank you again

Chris

Comment

• Terry, I can only do look-ups for Alverstoke/Gosport Area.

You would need to contact someone who does Portsmouth Record Office look-ups. Buckland is part of Portsmouth not Gosport

Sorry I can't help.

Lesley

Comment

• Hello Lesley

I've just discovered another Alverstoke match in my tree - I believe Joseph COBDEN married Ann HARDY (formerly CONNARY, and WHITEHEAD, née SANSBURY!) in 1853 Jan-Mar. I'm not sure where. The match doesn't seem to have stuck - Joseph COBDEN died Yarmouth 1875, but "Ann HARDY" is a widow in 1861! I know she did marry Joseph COBDEN, because she's described as his widow, when she died in 1875.

Not so sure what was going on ... They're together in 1871??

If the marriage shows up anywhere, easily, I'd be grateful for a copy. Obviously, I wouldn't expect you to trawl every possible marriage venue!

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-03-11, 18:46.
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Will see what or if I can find anything for you Christine.

Won't be until next week though.

Lesley

Comment

• No problem about a delay. After all, I've only just found it - no reason why you should jump to my tune!

Thanks for whatever efforts you expend - whatever the outcome.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• I thought I'd see if I could fill in a little about Mr COBDEN. This is getting stranger by the moment!

1861:
                              RG9/639 fo4 p2: "Ann HARDY" age 53, "widow", greengrocer; 6 Warblington St, Portsmouth
                              also: William COCKS grandson, 9 (Portsmouth), scholar, Eliza WHITEHEAD granddr 7 (Liverpool), scholar, Elizabeth WHITEHEAD granddr 5 (Shoreditch); Arthur Stephenson vstr 25 (St Pancras), mariner.
                              RG9/639 fo4 p1: age 52, "widower", Greenwich out pensioner; 4 Warblington St, Portsmouth
                              also: "Lousia" COBDEN 12 (Devonport), scholar.
                              also ldgrs: Robert 30 (Portsmouth), painter & Ellen 31 (Newport, Wales)

Christine

Comment

• Very strange Christine!! I am not able to look at the Census myself as my Ancestry Subs have run out and I am hoping for an offer to emerge from somewhere before I renew again!

This will spur me on now the find the marriage record for you.....hopefully!

Lesley

Comment

• AAAAAAARRRRRGH!

I've found another marriage for Ann! I'm reasonably confident that it's all one woman!
                                  m 7 Mar 1847 St Thomas, Portsmouth. Ann WHITEHEAD & Samuel WILKEY [M062512; 1847q1 Portsea Island 7-191]

This is why:
                                  1851 HO107/1658: William HARDY age 46, lodging house keeper & marine stores dealer; Warblington St, Portsea
                                  wife: Ann HARDY, age 46, M; Warblington St, Portsea
                                  also: Caroline "HARDY" 17 (Portsmouth), "dtr"; Caroline WILKEY 4 (Portsmouth) step-dtr

IGI: Caroline Emily WILKEY d/o Samuel WILKEY & Ann, bap 2 Jan 1848 St John, Portsea [C063151]

~~~~~~
                                  For Ann, I now have:
                                  m1: 3 Feb 1825, Saint Marys, Portsea, by Banns (both by mark) Ann SANSBURRY to James WHITEHEAD, of HMS Victory
                                  witn: Elizth COUZINS (x), Charles BENNETT [M062613; PR p12#35]
                                  m2: 2 Feb 1843, Alverstoke, Licence. Ann WHITEHEAD, W, oFA; d/o James SANSBURY, gardener. John CONNARY, b, oFA, mariner; s/o Wm Connary, carpenter. both resdt Alverstoke. (b c 1800) [M073578]
                                  Witn: John DORMER (JD), Elizabeth DORMER (X) [PR p37#73] (John DORMER is a name in the same household as Ann in 1841)
                                  m3: 7 Mar 1847 St Thomas, Portsmouth. Ann WHITEHEAD & Samuel WILKEY [M062512]
                                  but There is an Ann WILKEY, aged 22, with husband Samuel, 26, dockyard blacksmith (likely to be s/o a blacksmith, from the 1841), in 1851 Arundel Place, Arundel Street, Portsea, Portsmouth
                                  m4: 4 Feb 1850, St Marys, Portsea, Ann CONNARY, age 43, W, of Church Path Portsea, d/o James SAINSBURY, foreman of victualling office
                                  to William HARDY, age 49, W, of Montague St, Portsea, dealer in marine stores (b c 1801), s/o Robert HARDY, hawker
                                  witn: Elizabeth BUTLER (x), Noah BUTLER (x) [M062613; 1850q1 Portsea 7-168]
                                  m5 1853q1 Alverstoke 2b-587, Ann HARDY & Joseph COBDEN

Christine
                                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-03-11, 20:17.

Comment

• I'm beginning to wonder if there's a mix-up over the relationship of that "stepdtr", Caroline WILKEY, 4. Ann née SANSBURY had a daughter, Ann, b 29 Aug 1828. That would make that Ann - née WHITEHEAD - the right age to be Mrs Samuel WILKEY in 1851, with daughters Ann 3, and Elizth, 1.

She's definitely described as "Step" daughter - but I wonder if she should have been "Step-Grand" daughter?

Then, at least, I can take the WILKEY marriage back out of the equation, and the names tie up again.

Looked at 1861, and I'm almost certain that that's where the confusion is:
                                    1861 RG09/634 fo127 p25 has Samuel and Ann with a 13-yr-old daughter, Caroline, plus the other two and other children.

~~~~
                                    Subsequent info makes this pretty certain - it certainly makes more sense.

Christine
                                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-03-11, 21:14.

Comment

• Thank you for your offer of look ups in Alverstoke parish registers.

I am wondering whether you might be able to find a reference to the marriage of William Blackiston to Charlotta (? Montgomery) sometime between 1800-1809.

I appreciate anything you might be able to find in this connection

With thanks
                                      Virginia

Comment

• Welcome to FTF, Virginia!

I think that your request is a bit optimistic. Without either a more specific date or a particular place for the marriage (there's more than one church in Gosport / Alverstoke), that could be a marathon task!

The best you can hope for, I should think, is that Lesley might happen upon the marriage by accident, and remember the names; or that the FamilySearch resources increase in this area; or that the Hampshire OPC (Knightroots) extends in that area.

Have you thought of joining the Hampshire Family History Society, if you have any number of names to research in the county?

good luck with your research
                                        Christine

Comment

• Wow Christine, you never fail to amaze me with your ability to crack the most difficult problems with your research. I just wish I had half you ability and knowledge! A clever bit of detective work there! Looks like you are making headway now. Will do my best for you at the Study Centre.

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X