Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Punches Mum
    Sorry it was my mistake, Joseph Day christening 19th Aug 1801, St. Mary's Portsea, parents William & Elizabeth.
    Joseph Day marries Frances Marsh, 7th April 1828 Alverstoke if you can please look up in Alverstoke records to see if any other info on this would be most helpful!

Roddy
    Last edited by roddy; 29-08-11, 11:45. Reason: forgot to place signiture

Comment

• Ok Roddy, Will check out the marriage cert for Joseph and Frances when I am in town next.

Hopefully, it may give some clues! Will be in touch ASAP.

Lesley.

Comment

• Hello Roddy

I noticed on the baptism records that there was a birth date of 25 June 1801. Punches Mum might know if a certificate is in existence at that time or if an entry would be made at Portsea St Mary. If so, then both parents names might be revealed.
        Another thought would be that babies often followed quickly after a marriage (sometimes before!) so searching for a marriage for William Day shortly before the first child's birth date might be useful.

Rgds

Originally posted by roddy View Post
        Hi Punches Mum
        Sorry it was my mistake, Joseph Day christening 19th Aug 1801, St. Mary's Portsea, parents William & Elizabeth.
        Joseph Day marries Frances Marsh, 7th April 1828 Alverstoke if you can please look up in Alverstoke records to see if any other info on this would be most helpful!

Roddy
        hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

• Roddy,

Have found the Parish Record for you but unfortunately, like a lot of records, it is not too clear. I did print off a copy but it would not scan to you clearly because of the ink smudges.

The only witness I can guess at is an 'Ann Emery?' Don't know if this means anything to you. The other one is illegible to me but if you want the print I have I will need your private address via PM.

As I said, the only info other than what you already know.

Re hscott 21c post above, Birth Certificates did not come in until Sept. quarter 1837.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Punches Mum

Can you please look up on these marriage certificates all the are Alverstoke.

James Day & Elizabeth Smith, 6th Oct 1811, Alverstoke, Batch No. io3995-0

Mary Ann Day & Joseph News, 4th Nov 1819, Alverstoke, Batch No. M07357-6

Mary Day & Jacob Hopgood, 25th Dec 1824, Alverstoke, Batch No. I0460-3 (Did people get married on Xmas Day)?

Mary Day & John Simmonds, 11 Oct 1839, Alverstoke, Batch No. M07357-8

Thanks for taking the time for doing the look-ups, if nothing else its a process of elimination.

Roddy

Comment

• Roddy, Will have a look when I am in town next.

Assume you received the scan I sent to your private e mail address OK? No doubt you couln't read it!! Poor quality but was worth a try!

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Roddy.

Not a very good outcome to the search for you today. Not that I didn't find the marriages, just that the fiches were not very clear. Anyway, this is what I have for you

All these marriages were at St. Marys Alverstoke.

James Day and Elizabeth Smith. Fiche was too feint to read anything other than their names which I could just about make out!

Maryann Day and Joseph News. Witness were William Bay/possibly Day? and Rebecca Hick**** (illegible) just guessing here really.

Mary Day and Jacob Hopgood. witness were Susannah Kingrove? Again, a guess with the surname. Couldn't make out the other witness

Mary Day to John Simmonds was a bit clearer as it was in 1839 and now the full certificates were around then.

May Day was a widow and John Simmonds a widower! (not much help there!)
                John was a mariner father Wm. Simmonds a Labourer.
                Mary Day's father was George Diddams, so not one of yours!!

Not much for you at all there, I'm afraid,

Lesley

Comment

• Thanks in advance for any help. I am looking for the marriage details for George Lasley and Harriet Gage, married 14 May 1848 in Alverstoke. Unfortunately the LDS website does not list which church.

Sue R

Comment

• Hello Sue R

Will check out the marriage record for you ASAP. I am assuming Lasley is a typing error and you mean Lashley. Have checked the census out for this correct name as there is George Lashley married to Harriet on numerous census images.

Welcome to FTF by the way!!

Lesley

Comment

• Message for Sue R in Oz!

Hi Sue,

That was an easy one to find!

George Lashley of full age Bachelor Abode Gosport Father Charles Lashley Labourer

Married by Banns at St. Marys Church Alverstoke on 14/5/1848

Harriet Gage of Full age Spinster Abode Gosport Father George Gage a Labourer

Witness by Charles Lashley and the second one was difficult to read but was Ann ? (could be Lashley but wouldn't swear to it!!!)

If you need a copy of this marriage cert. just let me know and I can get a print out next time I am in town.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley
                        Thank you. That was quick even with my typo. Thanks for the offer of the printout but not necessary-my main aim was to find out where the wedding took place. This couple are not related to me ie they were the parents of my 2nd great grandfather's 2nd wife. It's a pity my family are not from Alverstoke-I would have my tree expaned in no time with your help. Thanks again
                        Sue

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                          Look up for Roddy.

Not a very good outcome to the search for you today. Not that I didn't find the marriages, just that the fiches were not very clear. Anyway, this is what I have for you

All these marriages were at St. Marys Alverstoke.

James Day and Elizabeth Smith. Fiche was too feint to read anything other than their names which I could just about make out!

Maryann Day and Joseph News. Witness were William Bay/possibly Day? and Rebecca Hick**** (illegible) just guessing here really.

Mary Day and Jacob Hopgood. witness were Susannah Kingrove? Again, a guess with the surname. Couldn't make out the other witness

Mary Day to John Simmonds was a bit clearer as it was in 1839 and now the full certificates were around then.

May Day was a widow and John Simmonds a widower! (not much help there!)
                          John was a mariner father Wm. Simmonds a Labourer.
                          Mary Day's father was George Diddams, so not one of yours!!

Not much for you at all there, I'm afraid,

Lesley
                          Hi Lesley

Thank yoy very much for your time and effort, It was worth try if nothing else. Sorry for the delay in replying back has I have been out of the country.

Roddy

Comment

• Hi there

Is there anyone willing to do a bit of research for me in the Alverstoke parish records circa 1812?

My gt gt gt grandfather William BISSETT married Susanna PERKINS in Alverstoke in 1812. They later went to Dorchester where my gt gt grandfather Richard was born. William was in the North Devon Militia in Dorchester, but I know nothing previous to that.

Would be grateful for any info received.

Comment

• Hello BDrax,

Welcome to FTF. I can check out the Parish Records for the marriage of William and Susanna for you but unfortunately that era does not show much info. on the records. Your only hope is that the witness may give a clue.

Why don't you post a question on the Research Board as well. There are some very knowledgeable people who may be able to help you.

Check back on this thread again. I will see what I can find as soon as I can, for you.

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for BDrax,

Have checked out the Paris Records for the marriage of William Bissett and Susanna but there is no more information that you already know. The church was St. Marys. Alverstoke and by banns.

The witness was the usual John Gear who I always assume to be the Parish Clerk as he is witness to many marriages, the other one was illegible writing and I just could not make anything out of it. So no clues there.

Also, checked Baptisms for the year 1812-14 to see if there were any children baptised at the same church but again, no luck.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thanks for your research, it was worth a try. I take it the records dont show whether William was in the Militia at that time, I guess he was. I wonder if Susanna was a local girl? I have no way of knowing their ages. I am new to FTF and not sure how to navigate the site. You suggest putting a message on the Research Board but not sure how to do that.

Grateful for any help and advice how to go forward.

Barbara

Comment

• White Family and 1 Cobden Street, Forton

Hi Lesley,

I'm working out in Germany for the MoD so can't make it down to Gosport very easily at the moment.

I feel a bit cheeky here but any information on any of the following would be gratefully received.

I also have two people who were living in 1 Cobden Street, Forton from the turn of the century and I'm sure died in the area but I cannot find any record of their deaths. They are Margaret born in Scotland and Thomas White born in Streeton on Dunsmore , both born c1864 and I have photos of them taken in 1930. Their marriage is listed below in 1891. If anyone else recognises these names from their family tree, I have a large number of photos taken of them all which I would love to pass on to their descendants

Thanks in advance,

Brian

BIRTHS Alverstoke 1918 Jan 2B 823 Irene E White
                                    BIRTHS Alverstoke 1919 Jan 2B 733 Morris P White
                                    MARRIED Alverstoke 1924 Apr 2B 1309 Albert Black c1888- Alice M Coombes
                                    MARRIED Alverstoke 1924 Oct 2B 1396 Lily E White c1901 - Archibald J Brett
                                    DEATHS Alverstoke 1922 Oct 2B 665 John Porter
                                    DEATHS Alverstoke 1913 Jul 2B 603 Mary Porter
                                    Last edited by Bielefeldpompey; 22-10-11, 13:19. Reason: Formatting

Comment

• Hello Brian,

Welcome to FTF.

Not too sure as to what help you need from me here in Gosport. I can check out the Baptism Records, Marriage Records and Burial Records at the local study centre but you have not made it clear exactly what help you require from me.

Have you checked out the Gedcom (click on tab at top of page) to check whether anyone else is researching those names you have listed. Also, the terms and conditions state that possible living persons names are not allowed. See that you have some births which could possible still be living. These may be deleted by the moderators!! Be warned!

Have just checked the 1911 Census and see that Thomas White was a marine pensioner then living in 1 Cobden Street with 3 daughters and a stepson. Possibility that he could be buried in Haslar Naval
                                      Cemetery in Clayhall gosport. Have you check Free BMD for a possible death at all? There are several possible deaths between 1930 and 1950! Could be any one of them!

Can you let me know what help you need from me via the Parish Records at the Study Centre. In the mean time I would suggest you post the names above on the Research Board and it will probably get more noticed on that thread.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley, I'm asking for your help once again!

I come from a long line of Purkises, and they are extremely difficult to sort out! Please would you look at the following marriage for me:
                                        Name: HAYTER, Henry
                                        Registration District: Help Alverstoke
                                        County: Hampshire
                                        Year of Registration: 1841
                                        Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
                                        Spouse's last name: PARR, Sophia
                                        Volume No: Help 7
                                        Page No: Help 49

I am particularly interested in the name of Sophia's father and his occupation, and any witnesses.

Many thanks.
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:
                                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Hi Elizabeth,

Will check it out for you when I am in town next.

Lesley.

Comment

Working...
                                          X