Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ozgirl
    replied
    According to the Clergy Database he died in 1744 so was not the John of John and Martha above.

Back to the drawingboard!

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Have you tried the Clergy database? http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/
    I see the John Cook mentioned above is listed. Bit of a needle in a haystack though!
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• ozgirl
    replied
    A bit more info, but you need to do a lot more research, this may not be the right connection.

John (w) married Martha Barnes 15/8/1756 in South Stoneham (just down the road from Bishops Waltham)
    John and Martha had 8 children between 1757 and 1772. There is a death for Martha Cook in BW in 1774. 2 possibilities for Johns death 1774 and 1801.

It looks like John was previously married to Mary, who died in either 1752 or 1754. A few possibilities for marriages to Mary.

Gives you a little bit to go on anyway.

Leave a comment:

• ozgirl
    replied
    Ooh - interesting. Further checking of the baptisms reveals that John and Martha are named as Cooke for their daughter Olive in 1764. Then on Knightsroots, it has a listing of Rectors for Bishops Waltham and John Cooke was Rector 1737 to 1744. Maybe there is some link here.

http://www.knightroots.co.uk/transcr...ps_Waltham.htm

Leave a comment:

• ozgirl
    replied
    According to a message on the ancestry boards from 2007, Edward Cooke was born ca. 1760. I have checked the Hampshire baptism records, and there were no Edward Cookes baptised at all around that time. There were a few Edward Cooks baptised, one in 1760 (baseborn, mother Mary in Portsmouth) and 2 in 1762 (in Bishops Waltham to John and Martha and in St Mary Bourne to Edward and Elizabeth).

Leave a comment:

• Searching for Rev. Cooke in 18th Century Hampshire, England

Hello,

I am new to Family Tree Forum, having read Daddy of all Mysteries, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I wondered if anyone might have any idea of how I might find a Rev. Cooke who was a rector somewhere in Hampshire in the second half of the 18th century! The only information is that his son (my 3xgreat grandfather), Dr Edward Cooke, married Mary Hanmer in Bristol in 1801. I don't know when/where Edward was born, but family lore tells that he was the son of a rector in Hampshire. It's not much to go on, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X