Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get hold of a copy, but I know it exists!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get hold of a copy, but I know it exists!

Life can be so frustrating when finding a census return! I have found the one I want on familyseach.org, have gone over to Find My Past to view the said record, have done the search, result 0. Have been onto to Genes website, done the seach, result 0. A very common name, difficult to find, except this particular John had a very unusual middle name Illiffe (Welsh, pronouce it "ill if". I have him and his wife on the 1861 census taken at Bishops Wearmouth, Sunderland. These are my grt.grt.grandparents on my mother's maternal side. I also have them on the 1881 census, also have John Illiffe on my grt.grandmothers marriage certificate, it would satisfy my curosity to find his parents. Any suggestions as where to try and get a copy of this elusive 1841 census return?
    Vonny.
    This is what I am actually looking for:
    name: John Smith
    event type: Census
    event date: 1841
    birthplace: Durham
    schedule type: Household
    registration district: Sunderland
    sub-district: Bishop Wearmouth, North
    parish: Bishop Wearmouth
    Durham

There is a John smith on ancestry living in Bishop Wearmouth North parents William and Ann. William's occupation is a Tin Plate Worker. Could this be him? No middle name is shown. I should add the age is correct.
    Last edited by Sherbertrose; 26-02-13, 13:58.

Comment

can you give his parents names and ages please Vonny.. also a link to any other census (copy and paste the address link of the census onto this thread)
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Comment

this looks to be the one Sandra and I have found

1841:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=16261629
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Comment

This one fits the above, but I don't know if it's what you are looking for
          http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusHo...123&pagetype=6
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            this looks to be the one Sandra and I have found

1841:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=16261629
            That is the same as the one I have linked to on Findmypast.
            Elaine

Comment

Is this the one?

Bishop Wearmouth, Durham
              Deptford Lane:
              William Smith, 33, tin plate worker, b. in county
              Ann Smith, 30 (not born in county)
              John Smith,7, b. in county
              William Smith, 5, b. in county

Found on Ancestry....oops - too late :D
              Last edited by Macbev; 26-02-13, 14:03.

Beverley

Comment

The 1861 census shows that John Iliff Smith was born in Blackburn, Leicestershire ???

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=12605784
                Piece: 3768
                Folio: 24
                Page Number: 42
                Elaine

Comment

1871 census - shows born Blackburn, Lancs. (that sounds better!)
                  http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=16805847

Says John J Smith - but image could well be John I Smith
                  household:John J Smith 37
                  Mary A Smith 39
                  Jane M Smith 11
                  Maria Smith 9
                  John J Smith 8
                  Henry Smith 2
                  Edward C Smith 1 Month

Vonny - can you confirm this is the right family?
                  Elaine

Comment

1851 census says born Blackburn too

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusHo...123&pagetype=6

Brother William has interesting middle name - Venus
                    Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

John's Baptism is on ancestry. He was baptised 17 Dec 1833(Parish Douglas in Parbold). William's occupation is given as a Tin plate Worker.

Sandra
                      Last edited by Sherbertrose; 26-02-13, 14:30.

Comment

William Venus Smith. s/o William Venus & Ann Smith of High St, bp 25 Nov 1835 at St Michael, Bishopwearmouth. Father was a tinner.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Vonny, it's also on Findmypast which I know you subscribe to (so I'll give the link for you)
                          http://www.findmypast.co.uk/records/...te=X&locale=en
                          Elaine

Comment

Possibly parents marriage is on family search

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ion_id=1473015

Also several public trees on Ancestry

Jay
                            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-02-13, 14:45.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              can you give his parents names and ages please Vonny.. also a link to any other census (copy and paste the address link of the census onto this thread)
                              Hi, I don't know his parents names, hence wanting a copy of the 1841 household. The only other clue I have is I believe he was born in Blackburn Midlothian (hope I have spelt that right!) the same place that Susan Boyle the singer comes from. I have the record office number on the 1861 but not the link I first got it from as I searched this a few years ago, is the record office number any use?
                              Vonny

Comment

Iliffe is a fairly common name where I come from. Pronounced eye-liff.
                                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  Hi Elaine, I know it is on there somewhere, the front search box apears, put in the search, I had nearly 3.000 John Smith's coming up even though I had found the right one. I have emailed the support team and asked them if they could get this record up for me and gave them all the info. So far no reply. I even put in an advanced seach which yielded absolutly 0.
                                  Don't know what to do except plough through all those Smiths - I don't think I will bother. Perhaps a different tack is needed on this one, I will have a look at Sunderland/Durham records and see if that will yeild anything.
                                  Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                                    Iliffe is a fairly common name where I come from. Pronounced eye-liff.
                                    That has brought a smile to my face, this particular middle name was carried on to the Australian branch of the family.
                                    Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
                                      Hi Elaine, I know it is on there somewhere, the front search box apears, put in the search, I had nearly 3.000 John Smith's coming up even though I had found the right one. y
                                      Vonny - I have given you a link to the census in post #5 - just click on the link and it will bring it up.
                                      The link I have given you in post #13 is for his baptism, which gives you his parents names.

You say he was born Blackburn Midlothian - which is in Scotland.
                                      From what we have found it appears he was born in Blackburn, Lancashire - which is in England.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                        William Venus Smith. s/o William Venus & Ann Smith of High St, bp 25 Nov 1835 at St Michael, Bishopwearmouth. Father was a tinner.

Jay
                                        How interesting, what an unusual middle name for a man! Many thanks for that information.
                                        Vonny

Comment

Working...
                                        X