Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get hold of a copy, but I know it exists!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
    1871 census - shows born Blackburn, Lancs. (that sounds better!)
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Says John J Smith - but image could well be John I Smith
    household:John J Smith 37
    Mary A Smith 39
    Jane M Smith 11
    Maria Smith 9
    John J Smith 8
    Henry Smith 2
    Edward C Smith 1 Month

Vonny - can you confirm this is the right family?
    Hi Elaine, All I can go by is the 1881 census, on this the Illiffe is now Cliffe - I assume the transcribers have done their best, Mary A. the wife, Mary A. the daughter, Maria, and then Edmund, now living at 9 Tamwoth Street Newton-in-Makerfield Lancs. The ages of the remaining children fit, so yes this must be the same family.
    Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
      Is this the one?

Bishop Wearmouth, Durham
      Deptford Lane:
      William Smith, 33, tin plate worker, b. in county
      Ann Smith, 30 (not born in county)
      John Smith,7, b. in county
      William Smith, 5, b. in county

Found on Ancestry....oops - too late :D
      Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
      Vony

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        This one fits the above, but I don't know if it's what you are looking for
        http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusHo...123&pagetype=6
        Many thanks Elaine, got it! I know there is some confusion over the Blackburn bit, but I have looked at this before and have done a search for places called Blackburn all over the country, but the only 2 Blackburns I have come across are in Lancs and Midlothian.
        So grateful for all the help. You are a star!
        Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
          There is a John smith on ancestry living in Bishop Wearmouth North parents William and Ann. William's occupation is a Tin Plate Worker. Could this be him? No middle name is shown. I should add the age is correct.
          Many thanks for your help, so much appreciated.
          Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
            John's Baptism is on ancestry. He was baptised 17 Dec 1833(Parish Douglas in Parbold). William's occupation is given as a Tin plate Worker.

Sandra
            Also post 14

"Possibly parents marriage is on family search

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ion_id=1473015

Also several public trees on Ancestry

Jay

Are these two worth checking out?

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
              Possibly parents marriage is on family search

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Also several public trees on Ancestry

Jay
              So that is where the Iliffe comes from and also the conection with Leicestershire! I will have to email the Australian cousins and let them know, many, many thanks for finding this, it is surely treasure!!!!
              Vonny

Comment

There's a William Iliffe Street in Hinckley, Leics. No idea who he was to deserve a street being named after him though.
                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

We have lots of ILIFFE middle names in our family tree - our Iliffe family (also Iliff, Heffe, Kiffe, Cliffe, Stiffe, Sliffe and more) and many times the initial I. is recorded as J.
                  John Iliffe moved from Warwickshire to Bedfordshire and some of his children went to Australia.

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                    We have lots of ILIFFE middle names in our family tree - our Iliffe family (also Iliff, Heffe, Kiffe, Cliffe, Stiffe, Sliffe and more) and many times the initial I. is recorded as J.
                    John Iliffe moved from Warwickshire to Bedfordshire and some of his children went to Australia.

Di
                    Hi Dicole, really interesting to hear of so many with the same name which I only came across when finding my grt.grandmother's family. My grt.grandmother had named one of her sons after her father - John Iliffe, sadly this son passed away from tuberculosis in 1914 aged 23. One of the daughter's, Maud, emigrated to Australia in the early 1920's and she gave one of her son's the middle name of Iliffe after her brother. It's nice to know a name lives on!
                    Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                      There's a William Iliffe Street in Hinckley, Leics. No idea who he was to deserve a street being named after him though.
                      Hi, this is why the street was called after him: William Iliffe who first brought Rev William Lea's stocking frame to Hinckley in 1589 and paved the way for Hinckley's emergence as a world power in the Hosiery industry.
                      For more information have a look at http://www.knowhere.co.uk/Hinckley/L...ds/info/celebs
                      Vonny

Comment

Iliffe's quite a common name in Leicestershire.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                          Iliffe's quite a common name in Leicestershire.
                          Hi Mary, I have found that the Iliffe name was originally the maiden name of John Iliffe Smith's mother who did if fact come from Leicester, she and William Smith married at St. Mary's Hinckley Leicester in 1827.
                          Many thnks for your reply.
                          Vonny

Comment

Venus/Smith/Longstaff connection?

I have a photograph of the (weathered) headstone of a Joseph Longstaff who died aged 55(?) in Sunderland, Co Durham, England.

The headstone also records the deaths of his grand-daughter, Margaret Smith, aged 2y 1m & grandson, William Venus Smith, aged 11m(?) in Sunderland.

findmypast lists the death of a William Venus Smith, 1859, Sunderland, Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec and this seems to fit with what I can see on the blown-up image of the headstone.

Other Smith surname`s with Venus listed on findmypast and in the Co Durham area:

SMITH William Venus England  Durham, Sunderland 1872
                            SMITH William Venus England  Durham, Sunderland 1903
                            SMITH Edward V W England  Durham, Gateshead 1866

Another image which I took is the headstone of a William Venus, died July 7th, 1903, Sunderland, aged 68(?).

The headstone also records the death of his daughter, Margaret, born March 15th, 1822(?) and died May 31st, 1913(?), Sunderland. Margaret was married to a J.W.Taylor.

These headstones are to be found in Sunderland Cemetery (aka Grangetown Cemetery), Ryhope Road, Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, England.

Hope this helps, and if you would like copies of the images above, please message me.

Regards,

Jim

Comment

My apologies for the late responce to this thread - I have been away. I must admit I am quite blown away at what you have found, I have had a look again at what I have already. The only reference I have to William Vienus Smith is on the baptism record of his son John Iliffe, who was one of my grt. grandfather's. William Smith is on his marriage certificate as a tinner. John Iliffe married in 1854, and from the 1841 census William was 33 years old putting his date of birth to c.1808. On the 1841 census there was another son called William, perhaps he had carried on the rather strange middle name. I am quite intruiged by this and I will send you a personal message. I keep thinking could this really be the remaining family in Sunderland? There can't have been many William Vienus Smith?
                              Thankyou for posting this very interesting piece. I would love to have copies of the gravestone images.
                              Regards,
                              Vonny.

Comment

Working...
                              X