Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1891 census Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    1891 census Help

    Hi All

    Can anyone decipher the place name ticked in the were born column taken from the 1891 census. The first word is Ireland, but what is the other one.

    1891 Census 2.jpg

    #2
    It looks like Goulston but I can't find a place in Ireland to match that spelling.
    Elaine







    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Happy View Post
      Hi All

      Can anyone decipher the place name ticked in the were born column taken from the 1891 census. The first word is Ireland, but what is the other one.

      [ATTACH=CONFIG]16635[/ATTACH]
      can you give us more details at all? a name, or the link to this census page for 1891 please.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

      Comment


        #4
        Its the 1891 census for Henry Clark b 1817 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, his wife Catherine b1835 in the place that i can`t decipher in Ireland and son John b1871 in Quebec, Canada

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Happy View Post
          Its the 1891 census for Henry Clark b 1817 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, his wife Catherine b1835 in the place that i can`t decipher in Ireland and son John b1871 in Quebec, Canada
          mmm I see what you mean.. and I take it that they don't mention where in Ireland on any other census? do you have a marriage cert for Henry/Catherine? or perhaps a birth cert for one of the children which would give you Catherine's maiden name.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

          Comment


            #6
            Possibly Goatstown, Dublin.

            Comment


              #7
              I see from the 1861 Canadian census Henry is stated as being a Soldier, and Catherine and John are there too.

              http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...&pid=793257078

              Henry is stated to be 41 yrs of age [and is an Episcopalian]
              Catherine is stated to be 27 yrs of age [and is a Roman Catholic]
              John is 2yrs [Episcopalian]
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                Possibly Goatstown, Dublin.

                Well done Vera2013 and well spotted, wecome to the Forum

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatstown

                Edna

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thank you Edna for your greeting.

                  I have a possible baptism of John at the Anglican Garrison. In the Quebec Drouin collection. Will try to cut and paste but not used to the site yet.

                  It reads

                  John son of Henry Clark Private in the ?? Rifles and Catherine his wife by her maiden name ?Lally or maybe Lalby.

                  Born 23 June 1859. Baptised 31 July. Sponsors Henry Clark ?? Rifles, Thomas Dickson ?? Rifles and Ann Dickson

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Well done vera
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Thanks Julie.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                        Thank you Edna for your greeting.

                        I have a possible baptism of John at the Anglican Garrison. In the Quebec Drouin collection. Will try to cut and paste but not used to the site yet.

                        It reads

                        John son of Henry Clark Private in the ?? Rifles and Catherine his wife by her maiden name ?Lally or maybe Lalby.

                        Born 23 June 1859. Baptised 31 July. Sponsors Henry Clark ?? Rifles, Thomas Dickson ?? Rifles and Ann Dickson
                        do you have a link for this Vera? I can't spot it in the indexes
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                        Comment


                          #13
                          after a bit of fiddling I have found it, but the writing isn't very clear...

                          http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/....13&sid=&gskw=

                          if anyone else that has a WW sub can have a look it would be great! [page two at the top!]
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-01-13, 07:51.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Sorry i have`nt any certs but i do have Catherine maiden name as Lally/Lalley it was on my grandfathers death cert. She was my great-grandmother. I also have a copy of the 1861 Canadian Census and a copy of Johns baptism. Yes he was a lot older her.
                            What is causing me great frustration is not being able to find out where she came from in Ireland. The 1891 Census is the only one that gives a reference to where she came from other than just Ireland.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              ahh I see, did you know there is a tree on Ancestry with him?

                              http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/165...rson/538868153

                              Vera said it could be Goatstown, Dublin, might be worthwhile checking that out..
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                              Comment


                                #16
                                do you have baptisms for the other children born in Canada at all?
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  I`m not sure how to use the link you gave me. It could possibly be mine tree

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Henry`s son Henry Joseph was born 1863 New London, Canada.
                                    Daughter Catherine b1868 Kingston, Ontario, Canada. and James b1870 Cambridgeshire, UK

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Does this help

                                      http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=9511492

                                      Linda

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Tried that Linda, Came up as an error

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X