No announcement yet.

who is Catherine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The daughter of George William Goode (1861-1930) and Martha Maria Inns (1866-1941), Catherine Jane "Annie" Goode was born 1 November 1895 at Preston Capes, Northamptonshire. She was baptised at the parish church, 1 December 1895.
    On June 23, 1917, Catherine Jane married Abel Jennings Davenport (1889-1964), son of Benjamin Davenport. Though his father was of 48, Clerkenwell Road, in London, Abel was born in New York City. Abel was a jeweller's assistant prior to becoming a soldier, and was stationed at Romsey, Hampshire at the time of his marriage.
    Abel died in Liverpool in 1964, and Catherine Jane at the same place, in 1978.

Comment

Alison -
      Welcome to FTF!
      Mike Fisher seems to still be active on the Forum, and should have received a message with your posting. But you may send him a Private Message - click on his name on the first post, then click Private Message.

best wishes,
      Sarah

Comment

Just received email notification of a reply on this thread.

Thanks Alison , just what I wanted to know.

Regards
        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
        http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Oh my goodness, I feel goosebumps all over! I am a direct descendant of the Jennings Davenports you refer to here, although I didn't know that until I just read this!
          Leila Davenport who was raised at 30 Granville Square died last week and her husband called me last night to tell me and my mum. I was trying to remember how Leila was related to my dad, which prompted me to dig out some basic ancestry stuff which I started in my 20s before computers, but this didnt shed any light, then I just googled my nan's name and 30 Granville Square and all this came up!! I spent most of last night googling what I could and Mike Fisher you have made me very happy, I am reeling. I have found out more about my nan and her family last night than I ever knew. This is addictive stuff!! I even remember visiting 30 Granville Square when I was a child to visit Pat Davenport who still lived there. So I have unearthed all this ancient stuff but can't find any up to date stuff on how my nan and dad were related to Leila. From memory I think my nan Catherine Beatrice Davenport had a brother Ted Davenport who married Pat and they had a daughter called Leila so I think my Dad and Leila were cousins.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
            The Catherine Davenport at 48 Clerkenwell Rd is born 1850 and dies 1916 leaving a will probate to Benjamin Jennings Davenport.
            This Benjamin Jennings Davenport was my great grandfather and his daughter my grandmother was born in 1919 at 48 Clerkenwell Rd and was named Catherine presumably after her deceased grandmother - a very popular name in the family it appears.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
              She's probably his sister.

There's a tree on Ancestry has Abel Jennens [sic] Davenport born 25th Nov 1887 NY, parents: Benjamin Jennings Davenport (1852) Birmingham. Benjamin has a sister Catherine Jennens [sic] Davenport born 1850. The tree owner has Benjamin's wife as Kate Hughes, could Kate Hughes be the Catherine Davenport you are searching for? She seems very likely. Perhaps if you contact the tree owner they may be able to help.
              Gosh this is so confusing, there are so many Benjamins, Abels and Catherines in this family I am struggling to make sense! So Catherine Davenport otherwise known as Catherine Jennens Davenport born 1850 was the sister of Benjamin Jennings Davenport born 1852 in Birmingham. When Catherine dies in 1916 does she leave probate to her brother Benjamin or the younger Benjamin (my great grandfather)?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
                Benjamin's will gives probate to Maria Kitchen spinster, I have Catherine Jennings Davenport in the 1851-71-81-1901-1911 census dying 8 Sep 1916 will 1917 probate to Benjamin Jennings Davenport and their family back to William Dav enport marries Mary Jennens 1816 in Yardley. So Catherine may be Kate Hughes as you suggest.
                Benjamin's will gives probate to Maria Kitchen spinster..... which Benjamin is this one, what was his dob and his date of death? Maria Kitchen was my great grandmother and after she was a spinster she married the younger Benjamin Jennings Davenport. Mike, do you know the names of Maria Kitchen and Benjamin Jnrs children? My nan Catherine Beatrice was one of them.

Comment

So is the final answer to Who is Catherine? that she was Catherine Hughes, widow of Benjamin Jennings Davenport b. 1852 and buried in Liverpool by her son Abel Jennings Davenport who was born in NY?

So Abel had a mother called Catherine, an aunt called Catherine (sister of his father Benjamin) and a wife called Catherine? As well as a niece called Catherine (my grandmother)??

Someone has suggested on here that Benjamin b. 1852 and Catherine Hughes separated and he went on to have another family. Could it be that my grandmother Catherine Beatrice Davenport b. 1919 was his love child with Maria Kitchen or did Benjamin b. 1852 have a son also called Benjamin?

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                    Not sure how much more info it's worth posting as your request is ambiguous. If the folks above DO relate to your ancestry please say and I'll post more info.

It seems Benjamin and Kate, or Catherine separated and Benjamin had another partner and more children.

Susan, thank you so much for this information! My grandmother Catherine Beatrice was one of the "more children" - Benjamin's next partner was Marie Kitchen and they had four children.

I have found this extract: Ferdinand Benjamin Davenport, Frank Davenport, <Private> Davenport, <Private> Davenport

why are two of the children "private"? One of them is my grandmother and I am trying to find out the name of the other one.

Comment

Hello Lorren and welcome to FTF
                      I have been checking to make sure that the people you have named are deceased, as we don’t allow the names of living people to be given.

As these people are listed on the 1939 census though I can tell you that in 1939 at 30 Granville Square, Finsbury,London are Frank Davenport born 5-1-1914 – Martha Davenport (his wife I believe nee Donnelley) born 1-2-1916 – Blank possibly Leila who died? – Maria Davenport born ? March 1879 – Robert Davenport born ? Nov 1915 –

At No 31 is Ferdinand Davenport born 30-3-1903 – then a closed record

I think Leila was the daughter of Frank and Martha. Your Grandmother Catherine was born 8th Jun 1918 (not 1919 as you mentioned). She won’t be showing in 1939 as she didn’t die until 1994.

Have you got Ancestry and/or Find my past? I have found many of them in the census on one of those sites.
                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 11-05-16, 11:34.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie, thank you so much! You have solved the last piece! At first I thought Leila cant be the daughter of Martha as Leila's mum's name was Pat. But I spoke to Leila's husband tonight and while the other night he was unable to shed any light on anything (dementia) when I asked if Pat's real name could have been Martha he said straight away, yes Martha Donnelly but she hated the name Martha and she was married to Frank.

Well I can't believe what I have managed to find out in just 48 hours. Thank you all so much. I would now like to get into this genealogy. Is it expensive to sign up to all the necessary websites?

Comment

Hello Lorren,
                          Ancestry does a monthly sub if you can not get the year subscription, but sometimes they have offers or some free weekend and there is Find My Past also a subscription site but not sure of the cost of either one but it is addictive and can be expensive if you have to buy lots of certificates to prove things.
                          Enjoy the hobby

Edna

Comment

Working...
                          X