No announcement yet.

Clara's death - help UPDATE #626

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know Julie she was only 18 and by all accounts a stunner and hugely missed by the family. I have a card from the funeral service that my dad had amongst his stuff

Steven

Comment

• aww thats lovely, but sad too, makes you wonder what she would have made of her life had she lived.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Endocarditis can be very painful too. Hubby got it a few days after his bypass and it only lasted for a couple of days with modern medicine but he said it was far worse than any slight pain from the operation.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• p.s. I forgot to say that it's inflamation of the inner lining of the heart. Myocarditis is inflamation of the actual heart muscle.

Comment

• Thanks for the information Chrissie and Julie yes it all does get you thinking.

I have emailed my new relative to see if she knows the address where her father was born. I thinking Clara is most likely to have stayed with Ethel rather than Isabel and if I can find an address where they stayed it might help. Also customary emails away to see if I can get any luck with the ER's

Steven

Comment

• Hi Steven

I've been trying to follow this but haven't had much to add up to now (I used to live in Ilford so I'm finding it interesting)

Couple of quick points:

I think that address is 4 Mayville Rd. - if you look at in the informant box its clearer (assuming they lived at the same address) and on Google Street View there don't appear to be even numbers as high as 74.

You said you have the funeral card - if it was a burial in a private grave, would it be worth trying to find out if anyone else was buried in the same grave? Even if it wasn't a private grave, it might indicate what cemetery the family were using
              Jackie

Comment

• Hi Steven
                I notice from the link that Val gave that Mayville Rd is only a couple of roads away from Thornton Rd.
                Moggie

Comment

• Hi Jackie unfortunately Ruby is buried in a public grave at manor park and although a memorial stone was put up it wasn't a family grave. I got the cemetery to check but unfortunately no sign of Clara in the cemetery.

Hi Moggie the family certainly seem to have been in and around Ilford most of their lives

Steven

Comment

• Is it worth checking the other cemeteries in the area? I did look on www.deceasedonline.co.uk and there is nothing on there for Redbridge but here's the link for a cemetery in Hainault http://www2.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/con...emeteries.aspx
                    Margaret

Comment

• Thanks Margaret for the link I will check it out. So far no sign of her at Manor Park or Forest Gate cemeteries. It's a bit harder when I don't have a date of death but hopefully some nice sweet talking emails will do the trick!

My new contact is going to see her father over Xmas and is going to ask for any other addresses that might help - in the meantime I will continue to email libraries etc for any clues.

Thanks again for eveyone's continued help

I heard back from the voters roll about 57 Thornton Road - there was a Bert Wormell and a Lilian Wormell staying there in the 1940's and Lilian was Clara's middle name but couldn't see any likely marriages plus I can't see Clara using the name Lilian after being called Clara on every census, her marriage certificate and various letters.

Steven

Margaret just checked out the link Hainult and Forest Gate seem to be same contact and someone at Redbridge library who deals with all the cemetery stuff checked that out and couldn't find her but huge thanks as always
                      Last edited by stevie2006; 13-12-11, 17:28.

Comment

• Oh! shame re the cemetery, but at least it's been checked.

Still waiting on ER stuff from the other addresses so fingers crossed.

Margaret

Comment

• I don't think that helps Steven. The most likely marriage for them is Bert J E Wormell to Lilian A James in Dec 1940 Ilford.

Comment

• Thanks Margaret.

Thanks Chrissie for ruling out another possible Clara

I heard back about the ER at 4 Mayville Road, Ilford on it are Isabel and Solomon Smith (my great grandparents) and Eric Rolfe - a lodger - who later became Isabel's 2nd husband. No sign of Clara but I think that confirms that she was with her other daughter Ethel McKanna and her husband Arthur McKanna.

The only issue here is that I don't have an address for them apart from 58 Deacon Street, Southwark - the libary unfortunately won't do a search for me so I don't know how I will access the er's for this address for 1938.

My relative is going to check with her dad to see if he remembers any other addresses so fingers crossed they are in Ilford as Redbridge Library have been fantastic

Steven

PS Another photo of Isabel, Ethel and Clara I thought you might like to see

Comment

• I think what you need now is Amandas? Fathers birth cert/copy of, address where he was born. hopefully that will give you something then to work from re the ER's
                              Julie

Comment

• Hi Steven
                                I think you have been very lucky with your ER searches. A pat on the back for Redbridge Library.
                                The photo was taken some time during the war, note the tape on the windows. ? Victorian house with sash cord windows.
                                Moggie

Comment

• Thanks for the tip moggie about the tape on the windows great spot. From everything I know far everything seems to point to Ilford in Essex. My other family member Tessa said that Isabel moved around a lot during WW2 as she was bombed out of her home a few times and you might think that the same happened to Clara. No one has heard of another husband but why no Clara Ward on the death register? My dad has never heard of any relative being killed during WW2 so either she died of natural causes maybe during or just after the War and maybe moved away and died somewhere else hence the lack of any deaths around the Ilford area. There is a death in Edmonton which I cannot find now!!!! and another in Brentford in Jan/Feb/Mar 1944 does anyone think these are worth a go?

Steven

Comment

• there is a Clara Ward death in Edmonton dec quarter 1930 she is aged 85 (3a/566) so that would make her birth c 1845, way out. (and its a bit early)

do you have a rough idea how old Isabel & Ethel are in the photo Steven?
                                    Julie

Comment

• Hi Julie Isabel was born 1895 and Ethel the year before so I would say if its during WW2 the sisters would be about mid 40's?

Steven

Comment

• I thought something. Isabel's husband died in 1946 and she married Eric Rolfe in 1947. There is a death for a Clara Rolfe died in Southend on Sea, Essex in 1948 - do you think someone maybe took down the wrong surname when they were registering the death ie it was Eric or Isabel that registered it and the person took their surname instead of Ward?

Clutching at straws but ..........

Steven

Comment

• Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                          I thought something. Isabel's husband died in 1946 and she married Eric Rolfe in 1947. There is a death for a Clara Rolfe died in Southend on Sea, Essex in 1948 - do you think someone maybe took down the wrong surname when they were registering the death ie it was Eric or Isabel that registered it and the person took their surname instead of Ward?

Clutching at straws but ..........

Steven
                                          do you know what, that does sound possible.. I wonder if you contact the local office and ask them if they could confirm if the person that registered the death was either Isabel OR Eric ?

just to throw another spanner in the works, I thought I might have a look and see if anything else pops up after the rough dates (I searched upto 1950) and found another possible one.

march q 1944 aged 72 Brentford 3a/479 >>>> this is probably the same one you have found :smilee:

there is another, but, it is way out. June Q 1950 Edmonton aged 82 nope forget it, as she is a 'Clara A'
                                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X