Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well spotted

Comment

That is great. What a lovely family to take care of all the children, you hear so many unhappy things about orphans in that era.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
        It looks like Mary Ann has also been wrongly transcribed.

1891 at Leeds Road, Great & Little Marsden, Burnley - RG12/3376/91/19

Mary Ann Bannister 12 Adopted daughter b Nelson (surname transcribed on FmP as Bannet).

She is living with John & Elizabeth Allison (nee Shaw) & family.
        That 's brilliant teasie, thank you so much. Mary Ann's grandmother's maiden name was Allison so there may be a family connection, I will look into that.

Thank you everyone for all your help on this, I have a photo of them all in their later years which I will look out tonight.

Comment

Here are the Bannisters in later life after Mary Ann returned from her missionary work in what was then Nyasaland.

teasie the family you found Mary Ann with are related, I spent some time tracing John Allison who took her in, he was a cousin of Mary's father Henry Bannister, Henry's mother Mary and John Allison's father James Allison were brother and sister. It's good to know the family rallied round.

Another of my Bannister cousins traced Mary Ann's 31 diaries and some letters to a Scottish university, he was quoted £21,000 to have them photographed!

Comment

Good to know that she was also with family - they certainly all rallied round.

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
            Another of my Bannister cousins traced Mary Ann's 31 diaries and some letters to a Scottish university, he was quoted £21,000 to have them photographed!
            đŸ˜±đŸ˜±đŸ˜±

Comment

Brilliant photo. They all have a very arresting expression, especially James. It’s the eyes - even in Robert who seems to be trying his best not to grin LOL
              Which parent do they take their looks from do you know?
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-12-21, 07:34.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                Which parent do they take their looks from do you know?

Here are little Samuel (left) and James (right) with their parents in about 1874.

Comment

Mostly their Dad I think.

Comment

Lovely photos and I thought they were more like their Dad before I saw GL's reply.
                    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Juliec these are Billy Banny's cousins (Julie is my 4th cousin and her grandfather William/Willie Bannister was mayor of Nelson)

Comment

Working...
                      X