No announcement yet.

Help with a date of birth please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure where the institution bit is coming from at the moment.

The first page of the enumerator's book of 1841 says County of Middlesex, Parish of St. Benedict Finck. Then further down the page - City, or Borough, or Town or County Corporate of London (within the walls). Further down is Superintendent Registrar's District City of London, Registrar's District London North East, No.of Enumeration District 7, Description of ditto The Whole of the Parish of St. Benedict Finck.

William JOHNSON age 43 Bookseller born Sc. is the last line on page 8 on the schedule and his wife Jane aged 28 and their daughter Jane aged are the first two lines overleaf on page 9. Their address is Finch Lane and they are living in the household of A.D. DRUMMOND age 32 of no occupation born S [also meaning Scotland] along with Mr DRUMMOND's two female servants.
    The household above is the CLARK family, also headed by a Scotsman John CLARK a carpenter. On page 9, the sixth household following Jane and Jane JOHNSON is headed by another bookseller Wm. CLARKE whose wife Ann was born in Scotland. Quite the wee enclave of ex-pats LOL

There is no institution in the whole schedule. It is obviously inner city cheek by jowl housing with each street, court or whatever containing many people quite often in split households ie. 2 or 3 rooms each occupied by a different family. In Finch Lane there are 92 persons in the lane itself and a court within it.

UPDATE - have now looked at transcripts on the big two sites and there is no mention of institution anywhere. The address Finch Lane as given is exactly the same over at FMP.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      Jane
      Spiers
      Female
      -
      -
      15 Mar 1813
      Westminster
      London
      England
      William
      Spiers
      Rachael
      -
      England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
      Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
      Parish Baptisms
      about the nearest I can get
      This is the same one I found. The image shows the father to be a tailor and his residence "Bedford Drury". I take this to mean in the area of (or maybe in) Drury Lane which was part of the the Duke of Bedford's estates in London.

Comment

Thank you so much, great info and much appreciated

Comment

William Harrower Johnston baptism has mothers maiden name as Spyers on transcription.

Williams will also left to mother Jane, can order this one too for £1.50

william will.JPG
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
          X