Help with a date of birth please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a date of birth please

Hi, I'm looking to confirm at date of birth for a Jane Spiers born 1813 or thereabouts in London. She married a William Johnston in 1832. I tried on the 1939 register and nothing is coming up (not sure why as Johnston is a popular name??!) and on the 1881 register i can find her living with her daughter in law and her second husband (Richard Green Marsden) after her son had died. If i could get an actual date of birth i'd be able to confim one of the 2 possibilities of her parents. Or as near as i can.
    Many thanks

she wont be on the 1939 Register, did you mean that

Comment

Jane
      Spiers
      Female
      -
      -
      15 Mar 1813
      Westminster
      London
      England
      William
      Spiers
      Rachael
      -
      England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
      Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
      Parish Baptisms
      about the nearest I can get

Comment

Hi Val, i found that one on family search also a possible one in Hampshire in October of that year, but feel sure it must be the one in London. And of course, she wouldn't be listed on the 1939 one, i don't know what i was thinking of! It was too late after a long day when i was looking last night haha! Thanks for your help, just wanted to see if anyone had access to other sites.
        I'm a bit new to all this, but enjoying it when i can make time!

Comment

where does she give place of birth on the census? I would think if she consistently says London then unlikely to be the Hampshire one.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by mrspink View Post
            Hi, I'm looking to confirm at date of birth for a Jane Spiers born 1813 or thereabouts in London. She married a William Johnston in 1832. I tried on the 1939 register and nothing is coming up (not sure why as Johnston is a popular name??!) and on the 1881 register i can find her living with her daughter in law and her second husband (Richard Green Marsden) after her son had died. If i could get an actual date of birth i'd be able to confim one of the 2 possibilities of her parents. Or as near as i can.
            Many thanks
            Hello,

It might be that you can also use any children's names as a way of identifying parentage. Sometimes 'family' names were used, sometimes if you are lucky then you'll get a family surname thrown in too for good measure.

I can see the 1881 census transcript that she is a widow and an Annuitant and living with her daughter in law in Kensington. There is also a death registered in 1884 in Kensington Dist for a Jane Johnston b.1813 BUT there are also other Jane Johnstones dying in London with a birth year of 1813.
            She may have left a will, I can't check at the moment as I haven't got a sub to Ancestry.

hopefully others can help/advise regarding this.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I can see a Jane Johnston within London with a William from 1851-1861 in the census and she is consistent with her DOB/POB as 1813/London. from the looks of it William doesn't appear after 1861 so presumably he died. You would need to check these out and look at the images to ascertain if this is the right one.
              Julie

Comment

I found this on probatesearch.service.gro,uk. Any help?

19 May 1884

The Will of Jane Johnston formerly of 11 Hornton Street Kensington and afterwards of 12 Kempsford Gardens South Kensington both in the County of Middlesex but late of 11 Hornton Street Widow who died 30 March 1884 at 11 Hornton Street was proved at the Principal Registry by Eliza Elizabeth Marsden (wife of Richard Green Marsden) of 15 Addison Gardens Kensington the sole Executrix
                Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
                  I found this on probatesearch.service.gro,uk. Any help?

19 May 1884

The Will of Jane Johnston formerly of 11 Hornton Street Kensington and afterwards of 12 Kempsford Gardens South Kensington both in the County of Middlesex but late of 11 Hornton Street Widow who died 30 March 1884 at 11 Hornton Street was proved at the Principal Registry by Eliza Elizabeth Marsden (wife of Richard Green Marsden) of 15 Addison Gardens Kensington the sole Executrix
                  Well done R642611! that username sure is one to try and remember!

The will would only be £1.50 as well... I know it doesn't give you her DOB but it does give you a little more info than you had. you can get the will from

it is very easy to use, you'll have to register which is free and then you'll get the will to download in about a week. [they send you an email to say it is ready for download]
                  Julie

Comment

I missed this off my previous entry - Personal Estate £1250 2s 7d

Bev
                    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Thank you all so much, her daughter in law was Eliza Elizabeth. You guys are so helpful, it's much appreciated and i'll look at that site for the will.
                      I have searched for the 1841 census on FS but it's not bringing anything up. I have Jane and William Johnston marrying in 1832 and one son William Harrower Johnston born 1844 but i was trying to see if they had other children. Is there a reason nothing coming up for them in 1841?

Comment

Could easily be transcribed as Johnson, Johnstone and a few more besides. I was looking for someone with the forename Audley and he's down as Audrey most of the time when a son and Aubrey once married with one exception where he is transcribed as Orderly, every image is Audley,
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

This may be them.
                          Jane Johnson in household of Thomas Keane, "England and Wales Census, 1841" — FamilySearch.org

His pob is wrongly transcribed, on the original it's Sc for Scotland. He's employed as a bookseller. Image on FMP.
                          1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census Image | findmypast.co.uk

Ancestry
                          Ancestry.co.uk - 1841 England Census

Phil
                          historyhouse.co.uk
                          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

This may be the daughter's baptism (Jane).

Name: Jane Spiers Johnson
                            Record Type: Baptism
                            Baptism Date: 21 Aug 1833
                            Baptism Place: England, St Giles without Cripplegate, City of London
                            Father:
                            William Johnson
                            Mother:
                            Jane Johnson
                            Register Type: Parish Registers
                            Ancestry.co.uk - London, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1917

Phil
                            historyhouse.co.uk
                            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Hi all, yes, agree with the name Johnston being down as Johnson. The ones living in the Keane household in 1841 would fit apart from William was born in 1804 so making him only around 37 at census age, not 43. But I've gathered that dob are quite often incorrect in these census. Maybe 'foreign' as he's listed is because he was Scottish?! Bookseller is what he's listed at in another year's census. And his son became a book publisher. I'm pretty sure Jane Spiers is their daughter as Spiers was the maiden name of the mother. Interestingly, i've just looked at family search for the 1851 census but searching on William Johnston born Edinburgh 1804 and in the England census, it came back with 3 finds, all of the name Johnson in completely the wrong areas. I've found them previously for 1851 and 1861 but just wondering if family search can be temperamental?
                              Wondering what 'institution' means for the 1841 census record type as there's a lot of different names at this residence. Perhaps a boarding house?
                              Thanks again for all your help, happy for any info or advice as new to this.

Comment

Hi all, yes, agree with the name Johnston being down as Johnson. The ones living in the Keane household in 1841 would fit apart from William was born in 1804 so making him only around 37 at census age, not 43. But I've gathered that dob are quite often incorrect in these census. Maybe 'foreign' as he's listed is because he was Scottish?! Bookseller is what he's listed at in another year's census. And his son became a book publisher. I'm pretty sure Jane Spiers is their daughter as Spiers was the maiden name of the mother. Interestingly, i've just looked at family search for the 1851 census but searching on William Johnston born Edinburgh 1804 and in the England census, it came back with 3 finds, all of the name Johnson in completely the wrong areas. I've found them previously for 1851 and 1861 but just wondering if family search can be temperamental?
                                Wondering what 'institution' means for the 1841 census record type as there's a lot of different names at this residence. Perhaps a boarding house?
                                Thanks again for all your help, happy for any info or advice as new to this.
                                On ancestry, you get a box at the bottom of a census image, showing number x of y in the set of images. Click into the first box and type 1 then hit enter key. That will take you right back to the beginning of the enumerator's return book. Work forwards again till you get to the page with the geographical description of the area covered in that particular book. The name of any institution should be listed there. If the whole book though is allocated to an institution there is a page near the front saying so and the name and address of it will be written there.

Comment

Hi GallwayLass, unfortunately I don't have ancestry, I've just been using Family Search that's free. I will try ancestry but will get it when i've got a chunk of time to devote to it. At the moment I just dib in and out now and then, but have got quite far on with a freebie site.

Comment

Hi GallwayLass, unfortunately I don't have ancestry, I've just been using Family Search that's free. I will try ancestry but will get it when i've got a chunk of time to devote to it. At the moment I just dib in and out now and then, but have got quite far on with a freebie site.
                                    Can you access it at home via your library, most are offering it during pandemic?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

mrspink If your library doesn’t have access, feel free to pm me the details of who it is including any spelling mistakes if there were any in the record you found and I’ll take a look.

Comment

GallowayLass that's really kind of you i'll be in touch!

Comment

Working...
                                        X