Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1939 register. Searching for my uncle

And thank you, Janet. I didn't know that bit about the phoney war. Maybe if they only went away in that first evacuation then went back home, that could be why no one in the family ever mentioned it.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
    And thank you, Janet. I didn't know that bit about the phoney war. Maybe if they only went away in that first evacuation then went back home, that could be why no one in the family ever mentioned it.
    Yes that first wave was London only children and when it looked as though nothing much was happening in 1939 they all drifted back home util around April/May 1940 when London was really under attack and then came the government orders to evacuate all children but even then not all parents complied as they still felt they did not want to do it but then many schools received direct hits and then parents were really worried and the mass evacuation came about around summer of 1940. In your case your 13 year old would have been 14 by 1940 and could start work as 14 was the school leaving age at this time. Believe me the family would know if a near relative had been evacuated. It was an experience you never forget over the age of 4.

Janet

I don't think my family would have forgotten about it but more likely they just hadn't talked about it. My mother died when we were all quite young (as did my grandparents) so unfortunately no one had ever had those conversations before it was too late.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Quote Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
    my Mum was back by June 1940, and 2 younger ones. I must ask her if the 2 younger ones went back again. Mum started work soon after I think, so stayed in London.

I never knew my Mum went - I guess she never thought it important, it is only in recent years that we have spoken a lot about the war and what happened.
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Blog Entries
    Chichester, though relatively rural, is very close to the south coast so may not have appealed as a safe haven given the invasion threat.

Jill, we wondered about that, too but from what I have read thousands of children were taken there in 1939. It does seem like an odd choice

Blog Entries
    You may already have seen this, it's on the West Sussex CC website:

Wartime West Sussex 1939-45

http://www2.westsussex.gov.uk/learni.../evacuees.html

Given how many wartime airfields there are round there, it wouldn't seem especially safe to me!!
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

Caroline, thank you. I have seen those, in fact that's where I got a lot of my information from. I haven't read every word but I don't recall seeing anything about the Phoney War and some children going back home.
    Thanks to you kind people I now have lots more avenues to research.

BTW I thought I read somewhere that you can edit posts in the first 5 minutes but I can't find how to do it? Is there a button somewhere?

Under the post it says 'Edit Post'. If you click on that the post comes up.
    Chrissie