No announcement yet.

1939 register. Searching for my uncle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And thank you, Janet. I didn't know that bit about the phoney war. Maybe if they only went away in that first evacuation then went back home, that could be why no one in the family ever mentioned it.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
      And thank you, Janet. I didn't know that bit about the phoney war. Maybe if they only went away in that first evacuation then went back home, that could be why no one in the family ever mentioned it.
      Yes that first wave was London only children and when it looked as though nothing much was happening in 1939 they all drifted back home util around April/May 1940 when London was really under attack and then came the government orders to evacuate all children but even then not all parents complied as they still felt they did not want to do it but then many schools received direct hits and then parents were really worried and the mass evacuation came about around summer of 1940. In your case your 13 year old would have been 14 by 1940 and could start work as 14 was the school leaving age at this time. Believe me the family would know if a near relative had been evacuated. It was an experience you never forget over the age of 4.

Janet

Comment

I don't think my family would have forgotten about it but more likely they just hadn't talked about it. My mother died when we were all quite young (as did my grandparents) so unfortunately no one had ever had those conversations before it was too late.
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

my Mum was back by June 1940, and 2 younger ones. I must ask her if the 2 younger ones went back again. Mum started work soon after I think, so stayed in London.

I never knew my Mum went - I guess she never thought it important, it is only in recent years that we have spoken a lot about the war and what happened.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Chichester, though relatively rural, is very close to the south coast so may not have appealed as a safe haven given the invasion threat.

Comment

Jill, we wondered about that, too but from what I have read thousands of children were taken there in 1939. It does seem like an odd choice

Comment

You may already have seen this, it's on the West Sussex CC website:

Wartime West Sussex 1939-45

Given how many wartime airfields there are round there, it wouldn't seem especially safe to me!!
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline, thank you. I have seen those, in fact that's where I got a lot of my information from. I haven't read every word but I don't recall seeing anything about the Phoney War and some children going back home.
                  Thanks to you kind people I now have lots more avenues to research.

Comment

BTW I thought I read somewhere that you can edit posts in the first 5 minutes but I can't find how to do it? Is there a button somewhere?

Comment

Under the post it says 'Edit Post'. If you click on that the post comes up.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hhhmm, it looks as if I haven't got permission for that yet. Maybe I need to post more and earn my editing wings

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                          Chichester, though relatively rural, is very close to the south coast so may not have appealed as a safe haven given the invasion threat.
                          No that was not what was thought at the time. Before the war started places like Plymouth/ Liverpool and places on the south coast nearer to the South West were on the at risk list but when the war started it was decided those places were too far away for German bombers to reaxh and they were all declared neutral zones an people were evacuated to all these places including places in Sussex, Hampshire and Dorset. It was bot until the Fall of France that the authorities began to have a change of heart and even then they got it wrong with regard to Plymouth which ended up as the most blitzed city for its size. The coventration of Plymouth happened April and May 1941 and about 30 schools around the City were damaged/ destroyed before in some panic the Plymouth Authorities evacuated children into Cornwall mainly but up until that time children were stil being sent from London to Plymouth as evacuees.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 15-12-19, 11:59.

Comment

There are many books weitten by evacuees and one of the most recent is "Send them to Safety " by James Roffey who went from London to Pullborough as an evacuee. "Waiting to Go Home" is a study of evacuees by Martin Parsons." Splintered Innocence" is another study written by Peter Heinl.

Above post should read Coventration of Plymouth March and April 1941not Apriil and May 1941!

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 15-12-19, 12:22.

Comment

I can feel a list coming on! So many avenues to follow up! I'll have a look and see if I can get any of those books through my local library. They are usually pretty good at finding things for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                There are many books weitten by evacuees and one of the most recent is "Send them to Safety " by James Roffey who went from London to Pullborough as an evacuee. "Waiting to Go Home" is a study of evacuees by Martin Parsons." Splintered Innocence" is another study written by Peter Heinl.

Above post should read Coventration of Plymouth March and April 1941not Apriil and May 1941!

Janet
                                Janet is too modest to say so, but she wrote an article about her wartime experiences in Plymouth for the FTF Online Magazine:

My Little Brown Suitcase, Rabbits and Junket
                                Caroline
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Oh really?! I'll definitely add that to my To Do list then. Thank you.

Comment

Hhhmm, it looks as if I haven't got permission for that yet. Maybe I need to post more and earn my editing wings
                                    mine was 10 days, but that was fixed, so maybe soon
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      mine was 10 days, but that was fixed, so maybe soon
                                      We've been experimenting backstage again.
                                      Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                      X