Transfer section of family tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer section of family tree

I wonder if this is possible in FTM17 (win10)?
    I would like to copy a part of a tree into another tree. Is this possible?
    Example: Person 1 and person 2 are married with 8 kids. I have person 1 and person 2 in 2 different trees.
    I would like to copy the eight siblings from person 1 tree and paste them into the person 2 tree rather than inputting all the info by hand over again.
    Thank you in advance.

I know there is an export facility (file --> export), and you can pick who you want to export.

I you right click on the person there is an export branch, I have no experience in using either, but both options are just going to create a gedcom file, which you can check before import.

There is also a delete family facility too, I have used this and it does one generation, I think someone has posted about that recently with more info.

I can't see a transfer, but there maybe.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you Carolyn. I have tried everything to transfer and nothing seems to work.
      Once in a while I look back at my 15-generation de' Medici family of the Renaissance and even after all these years I end up making a change or two every time. Don't know how I ever convinced myself and my mentor/reader that my chart was anywhere near accurate.
      Do you reckon it's about time I started looking for an alternative to FTM; something more Professional?
      Tony V.

Comment

Hello Carolyn, permit me to add (in case you be interested).
        Cosimo de' Medici (Pater Patriae) was for a time the head of the de' Medici family of Florence. He had loads of issue who remained to virtually control Florence and married into its aristocracy, but a distaff branch moved to Milan and dropped the de' from their surname; they became simply Medici. However, they kept on using the same first names that were common to the family (Giuliano, Lorenzo, Cosimo, Piero, Giovanni, etc.). In their historical works Ficino, Cellini, Machiavelli, and others got them all confused, and, wonderful to tell, a thousand years later even the Oxford Classical Dictionary got them all confused and interchanged. This makes me feel good about MY errors.
        If uninterested, please ignore!
        Tony V.

Comment

Try this users group on Facebook. If they don’t know, nobody does.

This group is for users of the Family Tree Maker software. If you have not yet purchased the Family Tree Maker (FTM) program, please review https://support.mackiev.com/431886-Whats-New-in-FTM-2019...

Comment

Originally posted by tonyvella View Post
            Thank you Carolyn. I have tried everything to transfer and nothing seems to work.
            Once in a while I look back at my 15-generation de' Medici family of the Renaissance and even after all these years I end up making a change or two every time. Don't know how I ever convinced myself and my mentor/reader that my chart was anywhere near accurate.
            Do you reckon it's about time I started looking for an alternative to FTM; something more Professional?
            Tony V.
            Are you saying the export doesn't work for you, or not as you expect?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Copying part of a FT into another FT

I have 2 Greek Mythology trees; one is called The House of Zeus, and the other concerns only the initial Olympic Titans.

Zeus had a wife called Mnemosyne. They had 9 daughters called the 9 Muses where each one was the Muse of something: Comedy, Tragedy, Lyric Poetry, etc. They are all listed in my first tree.
              However, they also appear in my second tree (Zeus was the son of 2 Titans) and instead of entering all the information about the 9 individuals all over I thought I would select Mnemosyne in the first tree, export it, and then import the resulting Mnemosyne FT into my second tree. The exporting works fine but I am nowhere near figuring out how to import the Mnemosyne FT (I just created) into my second tree thus saving me a load of work. This I am unable to do. That, I regret, is the best way I can explain the mess I'm in.

As far as Facebook is concerned, I would not touch it with a barge-pole.
              Last edited by tonyvella; 21-06-19, 01:09. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

I will have a look later, I think what you want is to import and merge with existing tree, not on PC at the moment so can't check, is there a merge or something

I know what you mean about facebook, I would love these services to be on a proper 'forum' that is organised and searchable and that you can bypass rubbish. So many are just setting up FB groups and pages, but they really don't work efficiently.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

I use Family Historian. With that program you could extract part of one tree and merge it with another. Some users prefer to keep 'everyone' all on the one tree, even if they are in no way connected. In that way if you do find a link you don't have this problem. Family Historian also has a fantastic and knowledgeable User Group website, run by users (not the program developers).
                  However, deciding the change the program you use is a hard decision. There would always be a steep learning curve which takes time away from the actual research.
                  Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne.
                    I shall investigate Family Historian on line and see if they have a trial period.
                    Actually I do like this forum; there'a quite a few nice folks in/on it.

Comment

Hello Anne.
                      I have d/l Family Historian (free trial) and I like it, although, as you say, there is a learning curve.
                      I don't want to join the forum until I'm sure I shall keep it, but since you use FH you may be able to tell me one thing that for me is most important.
                      When I show a diagram of a family, how do I decide what information to include in each box, e.g Record (person) number?
                      Thanks in advance.

Comment

You can include anything you have inputted into the program the in diagram boxes. There is a section to choose from or (if you are cleverer than me!) you can fix your own.
                        Here is the address of the User Group website https://www.fhug.org.uk You don't have to own FH to join. There are lots of details about how to use FH as well as a forum for questions and answers.
                        Anne

Comment

sounds like you have resolved it

There is a file --> merge - no idea what it does though, feels like the sort of thing you might be after.

I only use FTM due to synching to ancestry, otherwise I may choose a different product have to say.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                          X