Merging trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging trees?

Greetings, I have just successfully updated to FTM 2017. I have realised, for reasons I have forgotten, I had two family trees in FTM.
    They are titled differently but are actually both my family tree.
    There appear to be a few differences in the tree data on some individuals.
    Is there any way I can merge these two trees within FTM 2017
    Otherwise it's going to be a bit tedious checking each individual before deleting the redundant tree.
    Don't ask why two trees in the first place, I don't know.
    Regards
    David

have a look at this
    - Merging two files in Family Tree Maker Answer ID 5374 How do I merge two files in Family Tree Maker? You can merge part or all of a file into your current tree. You can merge a tree file

Comment

Many thanks Val, that helped and seems to have worked.
      Regards
      David

Comment

your welcome, funny but I combined mine and my husbands tree ,and then wish I hadn't

Comment

Me too Val, I also wish I'd kept my parent's trees separate as well.

Comment

have you tried to separate them ? I am going to have another go.

Comment

Val

Some advice please.

I have often wondered what is the benefit of using FTM. I have 2 trees on Ancestry and did load the disk to my PC - not the latest one. I have often wondered what are the pluses to having this programme. Am I missing out on something? I have often thought my tree is names and dates only and doesn't reflect the hardships my ancestors had to cope with

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 04-08-17, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                have you tried to separate them ? I am going to have another go.
                Ohh, don't go there LOL I bought the 2012 update because it said you could split trees from within the programme - not exactly true. You still need to do a lot of pickig individuals yourself as it only took direct ancestors and not any parents and siblings of married ins. It looked like such a huge task (currently 3941 individuals) that I gave up and still have both sides in the same tree.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-08-17, 17:55.

Comment

am sure some time ago Elaine explained how to do it, and it wasn't that complicated then, I am going to read the book later.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    Val

Some advice please.

I have often wondered what is the benefit of using FTM. I have 2 trees on Ancestry and did load the disk to my PC - not the latest one. I have often wondered what are the pluses to having this programme. Am I missing out on something? I have often thought my tree is names and dates only and doesn't reflect the hardships my ancestors had to cope with

Vera
                    Do you not have your own tree on your computer? What would happen if Ancestry shut down or became unaffordable? There are quite a few tree programs and they all allow you to make copious notes and add pictures and stories.
                    Anne

Comment

sorry Vera missed your post, Anne is right, not safe to only have it on Ancestry.

Comment

Thanks Anne and Val. It's on my computer but would like to 'bring it to life a bit' as I doubt my daughter would be interested in accessing it from there. I will look into the new one. There are many nieces and nephews who maybe interested in the future.

Vera
                        Last edited by vera2013; 05-08-17, 12:38.

Comment

Vera you could put it on tribalpages its free and really good
                          Build your Free Family Tree website easily and effortlessly

Comment

Thanks Val will take a closer look

Vera

Comment

Working...
                            X