Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing FTM 2011

Hi

I've been given a tree of c. 18000 people, great, but I just can't see how to print sections of it. When you generate an extended family tree the image size is obviously huge - 100s of pages. Any pointers as to how I might print, for example, my paternal family tree only? I can only seem to add or remove details not edit who actually goes on the chart.

John

The first thing I would ask, is the full tree of interest to you - if not how much of it is relevant, e.g. 5%, 20%, 50% ??
    The reason I ask is that if you are only interested in a very small proportion of it then the first thing I would suggest is you break the line somewhere so that you are just left with the part you want. (You would first make a copy of the file so that you still have the original to go back to at a later date if you decide you need more!)

The number of people left that are of interest really controls the type of chart you can create, without it going over 100s of pages. Creating an extended family chart, that is a chart which includes everyone on the tree, means that it ends up very, very long and narrow, as all generations are printed on the same line. By making the tree smaller, that is breaking the line somewhere, you might be able to produce such a chart without it taking up too many pages - otherwise you will need to think about other forms of charts, e.g. a descendant chart or an ancestral/pedigree chart.

So .. thie first question, how much of the tree do you need?
    Elaine

Comment

Ooo sorry I remember replying... must have done something wrong...

Yes that sounds like a great plan... I don't need all of it at the moment at all. What's the easiest way to do that? I'm not totally clear on the easiest way to back up and 'save as' my tree, let alone detach people successfully!

John

Comment

bump!

Any advice?

John

Comment

Sorry John, I remember reading your post and obviously forgot to reply!

Backup FTM 2011 - click here

Instructions for how to split tree - click here

Make sure you back up before you start and when you come to split the tree it does take a bit of concentration to make sure you have selected the correct individuals. Beware that the cursor on the left hand side of the pane tends to move around after each selection you have made - so make sure it is in the right place before making the next selection.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks

Finding it tricky to export, if I select myself and hit ancestors its appears to not include either of my parents... or indeed anyone else, like grandparents! I'm trying to just export my paternal family...

John

Comment

I wonder if the cursor is moving in the left hand side of the box - which is what I said you need to look out for.

FILE -> EXPORT - click on yourself - in the middle section select INCLUDE
              Your name should have moved to the right hand pane.

Now go back to the left hand pane - click on yourself again - select ANCESTORS from the middle section - you should then get a box up which asks how many generations, whether you want spouses, ancestor's descendants etc.

(Note - you always need to select a name from the left hand pane, before selecting something from the middle)
              Elaine

Comment

Ah that's loads better thanks!
                I find it funny that it won't let you export just one branch though - it's still including my maternal tree (obviously!) and I can't see a way around that short of selecting each individual by name, there are 1000s though, that would never work!

Comment

So start with you - INCLUDE - you move to the right.
                  Then select your father - INCLUDE - he moves to the right
                  Then go back to your father's name on the left - select ANCESTORS - and you will then just get his ancestors/descendants etc., not those of your mother.

Because you are choosing you as the base person then obviously your mother and her ancestors will be included.
                  By starting with your father as the base, then you will only get the paternal line.
                  Elaine

Comment

Working...
                  X