PC V Apple (How to transfer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC V Apple (How to transfer)

If a Person has their family history on a PC (on Legacy), and obtains an Apple Computer, how can they transfer their history on to the Apple, given that Legacy does not support Apple? (well not the free version)
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

you would have to convert your tree into a Gedcom Jood, then find a suitable tree program [Macfamilytree?] or FTM for Macs

here is How-to-Create-a-GEDCOM
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

you would have to convert your tree into a Gedcom Jood, then find a suitable tree program [Macfamilytree?] or FTM for Macs
      I know how to create a gedcom Julie - I guess I was looking for a freebie Apple FH programm similar to Legacy which was free. Will check out Macfamily tree..

Thanks Julie.
      Last edited by jood; 07-03-14, 07:16.

Comment

Gramps is free never used it as I use Windows O/S.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Last edited by Guy; 07-03-14, 07:39. Reason: couldn't spell my name :(
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I have a PC world within my mac. This is not a cheap solution! But I set up the environment for a different application - genealogy software is just benefiting from it.

If you wanted to pursue that option, there's two emulators that I know of - VM Fusion (the one that I use) and Parallels. There's a third, but I can't remember the name.

Please keep in mind: not only do you need to buy the emulator software, but you must also buy a Windows operating system to run within the emulator environment.

It would allow you to keep running the PC apps you're accustomed to.

Comment

Gramps is free never used it as I use Windows O/S.
            Thanks Guy, will pass that message on re Gramps

I have a PC world within my mac. This is not a cheap solution! But I set up the environment for a different application - genealogy software is just benefiting from it.

If you wanted to pursue that option, there's two emulators that I know of - VM Fusion (the one that I use) and Parallels. There's a third, but I can't remember the name.

Please keep in mind: not only do you need to buy the emulator software, but you must also buy a Windows operating system to run within the emulator environment.

It would allow you to keep running the PC apps you're accustomed to.
            Thanks Photo Family - this is a little bit too complicated. I dont think the PC is going to be discarded, but it would have been handy having the fh on the Mac for quick reference.

Comment

If you're keeping the PC, then how about creating files/webpages that allow you to traverse your tree? It would be read only. Not sure about Legacy, but Family Historian does it.

Comment

It is not a problem to send ged files to a Mac, but you have to have a program there first, and Legacy don't have Mac.

I don't know if Family Historian supports Mac.

Comment

Some program options plus links to websites in our ref. library:

and some reviews on this link:
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, will check out the reviews.

Comment

Family Historian doesn't have a mac version, mores the pity.
                      LindaG

Comment

Thanks Lindag, and all others.

I think my daughter has given up now, and uses her old computer only for family history, and the Mac for every day things.

Comment

Working...
                        X