No announcement yet.

Help with Internet Explorer 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster page loading, less memory usage and packed with features, the new Firefox is here.

try and download this

Comment

I,ve been having a lot of problems with IE recently. The latest is "Internet Explorer has stopped working" which is so frustrating, especially if you are about to
      send an email because it will not let you "Save" and you lose it. I have recently installed Firefox, which has its off moments, but working between the two I survive.

dreeny

Comment

Dreeny are you sure you have the latest version ??? which is IE8

Comment

Joy123 - What is your operating system and what anti-virus software did you use to get rid of the virus?
          Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

I find google chrome is very stable and easy to use - I've given up with IE8 as it seemed to have problems with lots of things.
            Margaret

Comment

Just a general tip....
              If you are editing any text - could be in a Word Processor or an email or a genealogy program - and it won't let you save what you have done, you may be able to copy the draft text somewhere else and save it with that program(*) as a rescue measure while you deal with the main issue. When you've dealt with that you can open your rescue resource alongside the WP/email/genealogy prog and copy it back again. You may have lost some formatting but you could save a lot of retyping.
              (*) you could use another document in the WP or something like Notepad or a cell in a spreadsheet - anywhere which will allow you to save the contents. Just remember where you've saved it!

Comment

Linda, I am using windows xp, it's quite an old laptop. I didn't use antivirus to get rid of it, I started in safe mode, and got rid of it there, IE8 is still not working though, and when I go to add/remove programs and highlight IE8 there is no option to delete it

Joyce

Comment

Joy have you tried doing a search for Internet explorer 8 ??? to uninstall it not delete it ???
                  and can you not get a flashdrive and download firefox or something onto the laptop.

Comment

Internet Explorer have released a IE 9 Beta version wonder if yu try to install it over IE8 if it helps ????

Comment

this tells you how to uninstall it

Comment

there are lots of help tips with problems on here
                        http://support.microsoft.com/search/...og=LCID%3D1033

Comment

Ie8

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          Googlechrome is a good one too , are you offline then?
                          I have been having problems with IE andI have now switched to Firefox. It is fine, only problem is not having a Back/Return button, or not as far as I can see. Does Google Chrome have this facility?

dreen8

Comment

Originally posted by dreen22 View Post
                            I have been having problems with IE andI have now switched to Firefox. It is fine, only problem is not having a Back/Return button, or not as far as I can see. Does Google Chrome have this facility?

dreen8
                            You need your navigation toolbar ticked to see the buttons in Firefox. From the View menu
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Joyce - I suggest you follow Val's advice. Get yourelf a pen/stick drive. They come with a standard USB connection. Download an alternative browser (I use Safari and find it excellent). Also download an antivirus - recommend Avast - to the stick and load it to your computer. You cannot get rid of a virus/trojan by deleting it. You have to use software such as Avast.

In the first instance though read through the links advice that Val posted. You have to be patient, you are not going to get rid of your problem with just one click.

PS I use XP Home Edition SP3 and when I go into control panel>add/remove programs I cannot see Internet Explorer so would not know how to uninstall. Back to Val's advice.
                              Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Pen Drive - http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-1588.aspx
                                Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Read on PC Advisor web site that Internet Explorer 9 Beta is not suitable for computers running XP.
                                  Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

thanks for that warning Linda, I was going to instal IE9 at the weekend,

Joyce

Comment

ok a little update, thanks to all the links I recieved I finally deleted IE8 and it reverted to IE7 and works fine, I had to delete servis pack 3 then like magic the uninstal button became active, I have now installed Firefox, thanks to all that helped xxx

Joyce

Comment

;Dphew thanks goodness for that

Comment

Pleased you got it sorted.
                                          Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
                                          X