Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1 Macbook and an old FTM

Hope someone can help.

I still have FTM 2006 and am currently still using it on my 2020 M1 chip Macbook Air via Parallels software which makes a virtual windows machine on the Mac. The Windows version is 10, the MacOS is Monterey and FTM is currently running fine.
    The other night I got a notification that the new MacOS Ventura is ready to download.
    My question is - if I install Ventura will it make no difference to the virtual machine where I can run my old FTM or will it break it?
    Anybody else got a Mac of any kind with an M1 or M2 chip and are using Parallels to keep FTM 2006 going?
    I have asked this question on a couple of FB groups without success. Someone in one of them kindly suggested a group that could help but in that one folks seem to want me to get a newer version of FTM, 2017 or 2019 and that is something I am just not willing to do.

Shouldn't make any difference GL... Parallels will already be using Rosetta to simulate a different chip to the M1 and Windows10/FTM2006 will not even be aware of the change
    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks so much Grim. Will update tonight.

Comment

Grimsqueaker Ta ever so much. Ventura is now installed. Me likey, the menus are now more like my iPad. FTM 2006 is still doing fine as you said it would.
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 08-07-23, 10:41.

Comment

GallowayLass Sonoma is likely to be out in October, so will be installing that as soon as it's available...

unless there are breaking changes re Parallels. I would expect your FTM to just keep working following that upgrade as well

Comment

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
            GallowayLass Sonoma is likely to be out in October, so will be installing that as soon as it's available...

unless there are breaking changes re Parallels. I would expect your FTM to just keep working following that upgrade as well
            Flippin’ ‘eck! It’s only been out for 9 months and is now at 13.4.1 and there’s to be a 13.5 which presumably will arrive before October (have been following developments on Wikipedia ). Thanks for the heads up on Sonoma, I hadn’t heard of it. I thought Apple were different from Microsoft in that they had far fewer updates but it seems that since I bought my machine they have had one new OS a year - Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura plus various security updates.

Comment

All providers have a fairly vigorous upgrade/update cycle, even on Chromebooks, but that's the way it works... if they stand still they get overtaken...

Personally, I don't think I would ever go back to Windows from Mac... it does everything I need with no fuss.. I use Windows at work, but that's because our infrastructure currently demands it..

I do however, get repeated questions from people asking what they should use, to which the answer is 'whichever fits your use the best'. no point using Chromebook if you need Windows apps etc... No point using Windows or Mac if everything you do is in the cloud

Comment

I agree. Chromebooks are usually cheap enough but unfortunately (like Windows Home editions) they have hamstrung them by assumed all their users are thick although they would term it as “a streamlined and simple user experience” If you can’t load programmes and are tied in to all things Google then it ain’t much use apart from surfing the net and writing letters. Will suit many but not me.

Comment

I wish Family Historian would bring out a Mac edition. I am not sure why they seem not to be interested in doing so.
                  Despite FTM 2017 and 2019 having Mac and Windows versions, the Mac one doesn’t do everything that the Windows one does and also it does some tasks differently. They both also have bugs that Mackiev are not bothering much to fix according to what I see in FB user groups.
                  I’m getting more confident using my MacBook. The only thing that I really miss is not having a touchscreen. I am constantly swiping up and down to move through a page or pinching to enlarge / reduce. It then dawns on me why nothing moves Apple it seems are not interested in providing touchscreens nor making Bootcamp viable again for their M chips.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    I wish Family Historian would bring out a Mac edition.
                    I'm using Parallels on my M1 Mac to run Family Historian. Life's good.

One heads up tho - I was running VMware Fusion to run an (ancient) version of Quicken (personal finance). When I made the decision to move on, I couldn't set up an environment on the M1 to continue to run that version of Quicken. I tried without success to move the old finance info onto new platforms (including current Quicken versions both on Mac and Windows). No go.

Hate it when I"m forced to change.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I wish Family Historian would bring out a Mac edition. I am not sure why they seem not to be interested in doing so.
                      Despite FTM 2017 and 2019 having Mac and Windows versions, the Mac one doesn’t do everything that the Windows one does and also it does some tasks differently. They both also have bugs that Mackiev are not bothering much to fix according to what I see in FB user groups.
                      I’m getting more confident using my MacBook. The only thing that I really miss is not having a touchscreen. I am constantly swiping up and down to move through a page or pinching to enlarge / reduce. It then dawns on me why nothing moves Apple it seems are not interested in providing touchscreens nor making Bootcamp viable again for their M chips.
                      Have you looked at Mac Family Tree ?

Tbf touchscreens on laptops are dying out anyway (unless you are looking a 2in1 variants)... I've worked on the principle that if I want. a touchscreen I'll buy a tablet, esp as photo editing on the iPad is a breeze
                      That said, the Chromebook I had before this Macbook Air was touchscreen, though rarely used as such... My one and only reason for changing was to gain Lightroom and Photoshop.. it was more than capable enough for everything else, including software development, so to label them as dumbed down and useless is a little unfair

Comment

Working...
                      X